Summer is almost over

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2010 02:30 pm
Butrlynet and I will miss our garden's vegies when the first frost arrives. Dolly and Madison doggies won't have any more low hanging tomatoes to pick and eat or bring them to us.

We didn't go anywhere, but I'm getting stronger and hope to take some trips in the fall. We are looking forward to Albuquerque's perfect weather in the fall.

Finally some new TV programs instead of repeats and repeats. And, at last, election season will end and we won't have to hear the blah blah blah!

Saw my doctor today. She is please with my progress and has allowed me to do some exercising on my stationary bike, but very very very carefully, so I can try to restore my muscle tone. I won't be fit for a marathon yet, but it's a beginning.

BBB

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,273 • Replies: 8
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2010 02:40 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
summers making one last stand here this week, high temps and humidity

i've got a few tomatoes yet to go (some yellow cherry type ones), swiss chard and some beets
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2010 02:46 pm
Fall officially begins tomorrow. It is still pretty warm here. My one tomato plant got as tall as me, but produced only four inedible tomatoes. I mowed it into mulch last week. My figs were about to get ripe, when we had continuous rain for days. They went bad, then. But, the poison oak thrives. I put weed killer on them twice this year and killed some. But the rest are monsters. Every single day I dug up poison oak roots for a couple of months. It did no good. The poison oak is thick and healthy out there. My grape vines failed to produce a single grape. Thank whatever one thanks we have supermarkets, or I would starve to death.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2010 02:54 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Glad to hear this, BBB. I can tell you have 'your old self' back these days.

I'm glad of the fall, my favorite season, though it has its darkening aspects for me. I get bummed when daylight savings goes away. Except for the matter of evening light, I also love winter here. Both are times I like to do a walkaround.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2010 03:09 pm
@edgarblythe,
I envy your figs. Hmmm, I wonder if I could grow them here... I had a figgy (ficus carica) in a big half barrel back in Los Angeles, quite a pleasure. Wish I could control my garage temperature, undoubtedly a costly deal to improve - for then I could keep pots on rollers (I even have an x-shaped wood thingy on sturdy wheels) and bring them like people do into orangeries.. Or I suppose I could put a temporary ramp up to my living room threshold. Sigh, if only I had room in the LR for a big pot. Regular ficus trees are famously fussy about being moved, but I don't know if fruiting ficus is.

0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2010 03:27 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
glad to hear your improving, my mother (75) fell at the beginning of the summer, no broken anything, lots of bruising, a lump on the head and a probable cracked tail bone (went to the hospital right away and they said everything head wise was all right, but the tail bone thing started hurting a few days later), it's taken her most of the summer to get back on track
djjd62

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2010 03:29 pm
@edgarblythe,
my beefsteak tomatoes didn't do very well, i basically only got about on good set off them, but the yellow ones did great, it's funny, i topped both plants in early july, and then in august decided to let suckers grow, and i've got another good crop of yellows and again, only about 4 or 5 beef steak
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2010 03:34 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Hey BBB

yet, autumn is here but the summer sunshine is trying to hang on for a few more days - just gorgeous with the sun splitting the trees

leaves starting to fall and can't get this song out of my head... been lalallallaing it all day after driving to work thismorning

very glad your exercising is helping to improve to accessibility. excellent. x
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 21 Sep, 2010 06:13 pm
@djjd62,
She's getting better, but not quite there yet. She had another fall just a couple days ago. Her lack of good balance is becoming a hazard; hence the doctor's okay to start some mild exercise again.

She's sleeping better now so that and all her posting on A2K is helping improve her mental alertness and word recall.
0 Replies