Fido

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 10:55 am
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

ack Fido!

Could you fix your quote boxes on your last post to me. Ouch my eyes! Shocked I'd like to reply, but you got some code sorted wrong. Very Happy

A
R
T
No... I can't fix it... How about if you have something to say and say it, and I'll do the same... I hate using the quote machine..
Fido

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 11:07 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

kenneth, You are confusing geography with philosophy. Knowing what the capital of any country is not philosophy, that's what's known as geography.
No; he is only confusing one aspect of truth as knowledge as common knowledge, or the quality of veracity with truth as a moral form with a definition at all times uncertain, known only through examples as is, in this instrance, given... Truth is knowledge, and knowledge is judgement... It is a quasi concept; a moral form... And though an example does not define the concept, but the other way around, still, his example is correct to the concept, such as it is...
Fido

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 11:24 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

I'm not sure what you are talking about here. If you have "read Piaget" you presumably understand the limits of binary logic, and you might also might be familiar with his "scientific" studies of "morality". Whether or not you are familiar with the latter, you are perhaps familiar with Dawkin's "scientific view" of morality in terms of genetic survival mechanisms.

The point I am making is that "philosophers" have no exclusive rights to the territory we call "morality", which your post seems to imply. Your language falls not far short of theistic warnings. Now, I am not saying that "ethical overviews" are not functionally desirable to monitor and perhaps limit the activities of scientists, but unless philosophers get an intimate knowledge of such activities themselves they will be shouting into the wind.

Morality is the business of every person, scientist, philosopher, politicians, priests, and people... We have unfortunately lost our social contexts, the sense of self in society, the social self that keep every individual's behavior in perspective with the life of ones community... The individual is not a fact, but a philosophical and legal fiction,,, It may have the object of breaking down fractious communities in order to build larger nation states, but the effect has been injustice, exploitation, war and misery... The process by which people get an education does not endear them to society... People graduate owing huge sums, thinking they owe no one but themselves for their knowledge when that knowledge is properly society's, and it is society's obligation to educate, and expect service... Making education private property, and forcing intelligence into the service of private profit, as America's war machine often serves is a huge mistake, is immoral, and will result in our destruction, peacemeal or all together...
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 11:29 am
@Fido,
two points:
Your "logic as a wet suit" analogy needs the addition of the swimming mask to account for restriction of vision by the wearer.
Your "truth as a moral form" I take to be "Truth" (capital T) . With a small "t" it boils down to a successful prediction, or the expectancy of such success, and "success" is a matter of social agreement.

0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 11:30 am
I actually don´t by any means agree that Moral or any other area of Human Knowledge or behaviour goes with a different set of Rules then Physics...should one pay attention...

In Moral you can have "fractures" or "erosion" between generations values (or the way they are expressed) given different backgrounds...in a more multicultural Society you will find that "erosion" prevails instead of "fracture" for instance...and this is just one small example...a rock solid indoctrination will lead to "fracture" as a more open minded posture will probably only lead to "erosion" and a softer transition...

I still hope for an Epistemic knowledge that reunites all Sciences around a basic set of rules...Territoriality and gang fights are the only thing between. Certainly it is not Knowledge, to the extent that we need it, or Nature itself. But the "myth" continues...
Fido

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 12:42 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

I actually don´t by any means agree that Moral or any other area of Human Knowledge or behaviour goes with a different set of Rules then Physics...should one pay attention...

In Moral you can have "fractures" or "erosion" between generations values (or the way they are expressed) given different backgrounds...in a more multicultural Society you will find that "erosion" prevails instead of "fracture" for instance...and this is just one small example...a rock solid indoctrination will lead to "fracture" as a more open minded posture will probably only lead to "erosion" and a softer transition...

I still hope for an Epistemic knowledge that reunites all Sciences around a basic set of rules...Territoriality and gang fights are the only thing between. Certainly it is not Knowledge, to the extent that we need it, or Nature itself. But the "myth" continues...

While ethics, or morality involves a certain understanding of reality, it can never be considered a science. and morality, Good, cannot be defined in such a fashion that it is good in every situation... A logic of sort can be found, that it is often healthy for the moral person, and healthy for the society; but if it demands the ultimate sacrifice of the individual for the body of society, as one would cut off a hand to save a life, then, from the perspective we are by nature in, our individual perspective, it is insane if one happens to be that individual... From the individual perspective, the life of society means nothing without the individual's life... And we see that when people risk life for others, as when strangers rush into a burning building to save the lives of children, that they do not do so from a reasonable motive, but from an unreasonable, or emotional motive... Immorality is alway reasoned over... Injustice is always justified, or no one would do it... When injustice is not done, it is not- not done out of good reason, but out of an emotional connection that is then justified as having some abstract reasonable motive after the fact...

The most moral form of relationship is the family, and there are now exceptions, but their outraeous character prove the point... The affectionate bonds between family members often demand great sacrifices that are managed, and honorably... It was once commonplace for each person's community to be only an exstended family, where meals, and wealth, and defense, and risks were common... The possiblility that science will ever in any sense be able to quantify the bonds of affection and relationship are slight... We can all be a witness to it... We all know what morality is in some fashion; but no one can define the infinite as an absolute, and all moral forms are infinites...

These bonds and the breaking of them are the source of all misery, but we hardly have words enough to talk about the subject with any coherence... Think of it; that two people would hardly want to get married if they thought of the moral implications... If they love some one, and they bond with them, have children with them, then what may they be required to do, to risk, to work for, or resist for the sake of that relationship??? People only do it with little thought, and hope they are lucky in it...

I think science and all physical forms are as far from morality and moral forms as can possibly be imagined... Each has its place in philosophy, but they call for different methods... If you think morals are good, but agree that morality cannot be learned or taught in a rational manor, then you may see it is essential to create a situation where morals make sense, and nutured and encougaged... That is what communities do, because morality is the price one pays to belong in society..
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 12:42 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
Quote:
Truth is knowledge,

You conveniently turned that around from knowledge is truth. Quick switch artist, heh? LOL
Fido

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 12:49 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Fido wrote:
Quote:
Truth is knowledge,

You conveniently turned that around from knowledge is truth. Quick switch artist, heh? LOL

Logic dear one... If one and one is two, then two is also one and one...
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 12:51 pm
@Fido,
There is no logical comparison; you are shooting the breeze with bull ****. It only proves you have little idea what philosophy is.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 01:01 pm
Quote:
Philosophy is Dead

Well, it's about goddamned time!
GoshisDead

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 01:21 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Quote:
Philosophy is Dead

Well, it's about goddamned time!

Don't celebrate too quickly. Philosophy is like bad Indian food, it keeps coming back up.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 01:22 pm
@Fido,
Just remember that sacrifices for family have a genetic heritage investment justification and Society as a cohesive Whole the common need for survival and better conditions...Altruism has a very selfish justification on a closer look, and that has n´t to be necessarily bad but is just the way things are...nothing is for free...I do still think that all can be explained down to Physics, and not Physics as "Materialism" whatever that means once that cannot be proven, but Physics as a set of Rules common everywhere in Nature that includes from rocks to software peoples and culture river streams and street and traffic streams etc, etc...

Judaic and Christian European cultural background brought up this idea of "transcendental good" as means of man over nature or spirit over matter...a way of getting closer to "God", closer to the transcendent, bottom line, closer to the impossible, a projection of man beyond its physical boundaries and limitations, a way of "immortality" sort of speak...none of it its true !
And the sooner social Sciences caught up with Hard Sciences the better or they will end up extinct ! Don´t take me wrong, I consider myself a Moral person and I do believe in most of the values you defend...but I will take it for what it is when it comes to explanation...
talk72000

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 06:12 pm
@Ding an Sich,
It does not need active support for a disaster to occur. If a plane crashes from a pilot error the designer of the plane did not design it for a crash. Likewise Nietzsche and Wittgenstein did not design their philosophies for a disaster but their faulty philosophies led to the Death camps. Nietzsche did not understand science and blindly took Eugenics as a science while Wittgenstein's authoritative attitude of keeping silent led to the death for Jews, Gypsies, homosexuals, Slavs, etc.
The Outsider

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 09:49 pm
@talk72000,
If a plane crashes from pilot (Hitler) error, then the plane (philosophy) is not faulty and the plane designer (Nietzsche) is not at fault. According to your logic Boeing is responsible for 9/11.
Fido

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 10:16 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Just remember that sacrifices for family have a genetic heritage investment justification and Society as a cohesive Whole the common need for survival and better conditions...Altruism has a very selfish justification on a closer look, and that has n´t to be necessarily bad but is just the way things are...nothing is for free...I do still think that all can be explained down to Physics, and not Physics as "Materialism" whatever that means once that cannot be proven, but Physics as a set of Rules common everywhere in Nature that includes from rocks to software peoples and culture river streams and street and traffic streams etc, etc...

Judaic and Christian European cultural background brought up this idea of "transcendental good" as means of man over nature or spirit over matter...a way of getting closer to "God", closer to the transcendent, bottom line, closer to the impossible, a projection of man beyond its physical boundaries and limitations, a way of "immortality" sort of speak...none of it its true !
And the sooner social Sciences caught up with Hard Sciences the better or they will end up extinct ! Don´t take me wrong, I consider myself a Moral person and I do believe in most of the values you defend...but I will take it for what it is when it comes to explanation...

You are welcome to your beliefs, as is everyone else on the forum... I do think there is a certain logic, as with altruism, in morality... Moral people survived, and immoral people died...
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 10:25 pm
@talk72000,
talk72000 wrote:

It does not need active support for a disaster to occur. If a plane crashes from a pilot error the designer of the plane did not design it for a crash. Likewise Nietzsche and Wittgenstein did not design their philosophies for a disaster but their faulty philosophies led to the Death camps. Nietzsche did not understand science and blindly took Eugenics as a science while Wittgenstein's authoritative attitude of keeping silent led to the death for Jews, Gypsies, homosexuals, Slavs, etc.

Many people, like the Nazis, take the side of science over morals... In the name of eugenics, which even I support in the negative, the Nazis sterilized 350 K of their own people, and this at a time when in the united states, a much more populous country, perhaps 10 K people were actually sterilized.... They trusted science to tell them truth, and denied the empathic identification with other human beings which is the basis of morality...

I hate to admit that Nietzsche had some good points and was once very relevant... He suffered as many philosophers from formality... He could see the forms people relate through and not see the relationship as the essential ingrediant... His characters are stick figures... There is no life in them, no meat on their bones or laughter in their hearts... Like too many philosophers, Nietzsche was a total failure with relationships... It was no wonder he called Psychology the queen of sciences... He needed a good psychologist... His life philosophy had a huge impact upon philosophy, and yet he was not far ahead of his time if at all... There were a lot of people rejecting the role of reason in our lives who were aware of what grip the irrational had on us... But his notions of nobility, of overman as a force of will, his anti communism and anti democracy fed the Nazis long before they existed....
failures art

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 11:00 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
The old conclusion that form follows function still holds true, so even our building blocks tend to a certain shape... Let me point out that in the example of the Dog, evolution was managed by humans in a blink of an eye in time... Suddenly dogs were domesticated by selecting for a few simple traits we found desirable...

You're not describing evolution.

Fido wrote:
It is because we have done the same with our entire environments that we have not evolved but adapted... If the form of our dwelling did not work in our climate, we changed our form of dwelling... We changed what we could change so we could remain the same...

Evolution is based on "fit." Fitness is how well a organism is adapted to its environment. Humans achieve fitness by manipulating their environment. This is different than the domestication of livestock and dogs.

Fido wrote:
And we have, but much of what we do is not healthy for the species or life on earth, and it is because of our particular view of good... Out of an abstract concept of good, people have allowed their social forms to actually draw them away from moral living, break up their communities, and turn them all into individuals...

You're reaching.

I'll agree that much of what we do is not good for life on earth (sustainability), but it isn't from some abandonment of "moral living." What has enabled these things is not individualism as much as protectionism.

Fido wrote:
All the progress of the last thousand years has been at the expense of the human misery, loneliness, anxiety, and neurosis, along with general poverty, and war... And such pain would not be conceivable without the breakup of communities into so many individuals, so the whole is immorallity on immorality.

Not conceivable? Uh. History disagrees. Certainly imperialism and nationalism are greater contributors to our greatest wars.

Also, what is with this "last 1000 years" bit? What of your argument prior to this time?

You're composing.

Fido wrote:
Look at some cultures like the Muslims which have managed morality and to keep communities intact which produce very intelligent people but no technology... It is because if they do not allow the exploitation of their individuals then excess wealth, capital cannot be created...

Simply put, this is factually false. The top of the ladder enjoys plenty of western technology and even western educations. The denial of access to technology and education is meant to galvanize a caste society.

Additionally, Muslims in the west aren't as primitive as you paint them here. They get engineering degrees and work in scientific fields. Saying "Muslim culture" is a useless identifier because you are relying on a type of cultural homogeny that simply does not exist.

Fido wrote:
So our forms have first wrecked moral natural relationships, and has now reached the point where it endangers all life... Certainly, natural communities where ethics and morality got their meaning were often in conflict with each other, but it was small scale, and tended to keep all healthy and intelligent and honorable...

Because you say so.

Fido wrote:
There was a point were the Muslims advanced science, medicine, history, and philosophy generally and did not endanger moral relations... I think it is unfortunate that Suffi Islam turned Islam away from physics and science in general. .. But they have not nuked anyone yet...

Muslims still do.

Fido wrote:
Morality, though it does not prevent knowledge does inhibit its use against humanity, if one considers themselves a part of the human community... Morality does no concern ones behavior outside of community unless it is likely to affect the community... The modern conception of the individual sets him apart from all communities...

Morality is not an institution.

Your concept of community is archaic. Strong communities exist in contemporary times. It is that now to be a part of the community, you simply no longer must be the same. Concepts like diversity have strengthened community. Individualism is not the enemy of community. That is a false dilemma.

Fido wrote:
Will you be less or more dead regardless???

I might not be dead. This is my point. Your statement that we may die from knowledge or by stupidity is a foolish equivocation.

Fido wrote:
Einstien was what all scientist should be, what all philosophers are... In fact, since morals continually put us at odds with others it should always be the first consideration of every person... The problem is that with all our communities fractured, no one has the perspective, that is, the community perspective from which to judge their own behavior... Scientist in judging their behavior by scientist can justify anything...

Morals are put at odds with other morals. Now what? Stop addressing morals like they are established in stone, or that they are some annual publication put out by those who (unlike us) somehow get it.

Fido wrote:
There is no inherent morality to physics, which is the problem...

There is no inherent morality to ANYTHING. It is not that morality does not enter scientific discussions, and I'd say that most scientific endeavors begin with a moral beckoning to a cause.

Tell me how physics is a problem, specifically. It's not a man's scientific knowledge, but his philosophical knowledge that will enable him to justify anything. Don't put the moral receipt on the lap of science.

Fido wrote:
And you are correct that poverty is related to life styles, and the answer is not to hand poor people money....

Interesting that this is how you interpreted this statement. I was thinking more that our desire to have things cheap and accessible harms other third world countries. Would we buy apples out of season from Argentina at a fair trade value? I doubt it, but we get them at a cheap price, and that price represents a farmer somewhere who got paid virtually nothing for their labor.

You took my statement RE: lifestyle to be about the poor being a product of their lifestyle and addressed the idea of handouts.

Fido wrote:
Nor is it to deny them money or technology, but to hand them technology without working on the moral understanding, which we cannot do from a position of moral ignorance, is more insanity... People who are slaves to their want of technology are no more moral than those who are slaves to the technology, or slaves as the technology... Slaves are not moral, and morality is essential to freedom and democracy...

Forget technology. It's not the source of our problem. Just buy apples at a fair price or only in season.

Fido wrote:
A plutocracy based upon science and technology is not going to produce a more moral humanity...

No threat of a plutocracy anywhere I see. Quite opposite, we see the threat of religious orthodoxy and its moralists.

A society based in science is not going to produce a more moral humanity? Compared to what exactly?

Fido wrote:
Technology first made capture and slavery preferable to cannibalism... If technology did not make possible excess exploitation no civilization would be possible, but what has happened, and happens today, is that exploitation knows no moral bounds, and people in the end are exploited to death or just killed so their goods can be taken over... Is there a moral justification for war, or the use of technology for war... But, scientists are for the most part only hired help, and their inventions and discoveries are no more their property than one making hubcaps...

Technology is not to blame for any of this. Quite ironic on your choice of slavery, since the advent of the industrial age largely changed our agricultural labor methods. Even if we assumed the worst intentions and morals of the cotton farmer, they'd still be more inclined to use machinery instead of human slaves in the modern day. Do you disagree?

Having said that, if you want to blame slavery on our maritime technology that allowed for trans-Atlantic shipping, you're ignoring that slavery is older than the bronze age. The correlation between technology and human exploitation is inverse of what you imply.
Fido wrote:

Fido wrote:

Fido wrote:

Fido wrote:

Fido wrote:

Fido wrote:
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 11:04 pm
@Fido,
I'm still very interested in your response regarding a scientist developing a cruise missile versus Viagra.

I want to examine your method for science with and without morals. I think you're making this up as you go.

A
R
T
Razzleg

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2010 11:40 pm
@failures art,
i doubt my little "pat on the back" would be much of an incentive, but i wish you would contribute to the philosophy threads more often. I always appreciate your posts here.

Sorry for the non sequitur declaration. I would have just sent you a PM, but you know... Wink
Fido

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2010 06:06 am
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

I'm still very interested in your response regarding a scientist developing a cruise missile versus Viagra.

I want to examine your method for science with and without morals. I think you're making this up as you go.

A
R
T

As one Noted English Jurist once said to an attorney: There are no imaginary cases...
There is no hypothetical morality.... Why not ask about a specific use of either with all the details... It is a serious problem with anyone seeking a science of ethics that we can only take a lesson from events passed.... Experience is a hard teacher, they say, because she tests first, and teaches after... Morality does no less... To what extent are you motivated by moral forms??? What value do you give to justice, or honor, or fidelity or to peace??? That might give me an indication of whether you are moral and will behave morally, but only if you are also honest.... Do you see what I am saying???