Arjuna

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 10:57 am
@spendius,
The clodhoppers have long since dawned.

The cathedral is emptiness. It was every public building... the school, the library, city hall, and they even did plays on the porch. Travelers would see the spire and know where they were... it was the identity of the community. The community built it and left their marks... like the bread maker guild would have their insignia somewhere. But nobody lived in it. It was the house of God. The windows transparent to the community.

Unlike the monastery, which was a fortress. Can you tell I love religious architecture? I've never compared the cathedral to the mosque.... hmmm... good stuff.
spendius

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 11:37 am
@Arjuna,
Quote:
Can you tell I love religious architecture?

You will enjoy reading Oswald Spengler in that case. The Decline of the West.

Clodhoppers are destiny I'm afraid. A few insane optimists are fighting a rearguard action which they will admit is probably fruitless.

Once people, out of ignorance, think that religious teaching determines actions rather than actions determining dogma, and have backed themselves into a corner with it with proud and pompous pronouncements plentifully pantomimed, we might have to wait for it all to work its way through again.
Arjuna

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 11:58 am
@spendius,
That book looks like my interests in a nutshell. The turn of the 20th century saw a global sense of decline. And they were right. The world they knew is now gone.

Proud and pompous pronouncements plentifully pantomimed just as the pantheon priests provisioned the public.... uh, republic. What goes around comes around, huh?
kennethamy

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 03:13 pm
@Arjuna,
Arjuna wrote:

That book looks like my interests in a nutshell. The turn of the 20th century saw a global sense of decline. And they were right. The world they knew is now gone.

Proud and pompous pronouncements plentifully pantomimed just as the pantheon priests provisioned the public.... uh, republic. What goes around comes around, huh?

A sermon. And alliterative (I suppose that is what Gosh thinks is the poetic bit of what you write. But it still does not rhyme). And it is not even Sunday!
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 03:27 pm
@Arjuna,
But the public is petulant when provisioned by the pantheon of priests because once it gets used to being provisioned it readily forgets how it was done in a vain attempt to claim all the credit for itself.

I was picking damsons again today. A chap I know has a derelict orchard in a corner of which are two damson trees. They are more bushes really. They've been there for as long as anyone can remember. When I was having them stewed with ice-cream, sugar of course as well, and picking the pips out to put on the perimeter of my plate I got thinking how the hell do those little bushes do it. And pears and apples and greengages next door and doing it differently and making a vast array of complex chemicals which are good for us. Just out of rain and sunshine and the little clod of earth the roots have been in all that time and never been watered or fed fertilisers.

Scientists will say what has been done and bamboozle everybody into thinking they know all about damsons with Latin words and other forms of brilliantine but they have no idea how. It struck me that this was irreducible complexity on my spoon. Naked Dessert. With a nod to Mr Burroughs.

It's a long way from the Big Bang to a damson tree making such a delicious jam. Perhaps thinking it was all poofed into existence 6,000 years ago with everything up and running is the only way to remain sane.

Arjuna

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 03:46 pm
@spendius,
Don't know from damsons. But jimson weed has taken up all around me. It makes white trumpets that face the moon and fill the night air with the aroma of lemons. Some part of it is a true hallucinogenic known for making bad dreams, with nods.

ken, spendius started it.
spendius

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 04:46 pm
@Arjuna,
What are "nods"?
Arjuna

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 06:52 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

What are "nods"?
To Mr. Burroughs
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 07:27 pm
@Arjuna,
Arjuna wrote:

failures art wrote:

Science is to technology as cooking is to food.
Yea... I can see that. Without food there would be no cooking. Some foods would not exist without the art of cooking.

Basically. Let us not trivialize that food is the more valuable of the two--Much like thinking is to philosophy.

Arjuna wrote:

You're free to put whatever you like at the front of the line. I think M-theory is nudging for position. Its warrant to special consideration is that it gives a coherent explanation for gravity and the big bang.

I am not sure where you are going here.

I'm talking about Christianity assuming the position as the definitive religion to be debunked. It is pushing to the front of the line as if it was somehow different than any other religion, or capable of meeting intellectual burdens they aren't. This just isn't true.

Arjuna wrote:

Unproved, and possibly unprovable... but still... previous outlooks had nothing to prove.

Let's be careful with language here. Gravity isn't provable. Matter being drawn together is. This is the difference between a theory and a law.

Religious theories seek to explain things that sometimes don't even exist.

E.g. - Because of early humans poor understanding of anatomy, religious explanations were made to explain why men had one less rib than women. Men and women have the same numbers of ribs, but our skeletal frames have different geometry.

A theory like the existence of god is built to explain events that never took place. Religion A, B, C or D might have different events, but they are built on the same flawed theory.

Arjuna wrote:

I'm not posing as an expert in the topic. I go on what the Japanese dude on the science channel said.... I'm not through with global warming yet.

I'm not sure how we have ended up on global warming.

Arjuna wrote:

By the way... I dont get the firing away of verbage bombs on invisible theists. What's that all about? This ain't a video game, dammit.

What is a...
1) Verbage bomb
2) Invisible theist

Arjuna wrote:

In the Vatican there's a painting that depicts Plato pointing up, and Aristotle motioning down. Philosophy and Religion, dude... some people find it fascinating and personally significant... some don't. But why give a critique of something you don't give a flip about?

Back to the cooking. I care greatly about being fed and having food. I even enjoy cooking. What I "don't give a flip about" is figuring out who is the best cook, or even just looking at food.

Let's bring it home. Still with the cooking analogy, a philosophical question.

Who is a greater cook: A person who can prepare a extravagant and gourmet dish with rare and difficult to use ingredients, or a cook that can in an prepare a large, nutritious, although simple meal that feeds many many people with affordable and easy to acquire ingredients?

I believe that ultimately we enjoy the gourmet meal, but the reason we eat is to be fed energy to sustain us. With philosophy and thinking, I believe much the same. Philosophical exercises are enjoyable, but in the end thinking is the objective.

Imagine please, building the most powerful computer in the world, installing the most powerful programs on to it, then turning it off. Or, imagine turning it on then over clocking it, but running none of the programs. After all of that, gather many people and argue about what the computer could do. This is my problem with philosophy. I don't care about, nor need to know the history of previous computer that exist prior to this. I simply want the computer used.

There was a pretty good moral compass thread just before the Phil forum merger. In it, I expressed my concern there with another metaphor: A field medic in a war. They have two equally wounded men. It could be argued that the virtues of one of these men makes them more worth saving than the other. There is no doubt that letting both men die while the medic tries to figure out which would have been the better to save is a waste. Even if the medic chooses the "wrong man" unknowingly, the medic does the right thing by himself.

A
R
T
failures art

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 07:33 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
Everyone is a philosopher, but the best work has been done by those who approached their knowledge in an organized fashion.

We agree that everyone is a philosopher.

We disagree, however, that it is by organized means that the "best work" is done. I'd say that evolution, epiphany, and even recklessness breeds equally (if not better) thinking. Imagination and creativity often wilt in such organized mental environments.

A
R
T
north

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 07:39 pm
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

Fido wrote:
Everyone is a philosopher, but the best work has been done by those who approached their knowledge in an organized fashion.

We agree that everyone is a philosopher.

We disagree, however, that it is by organized means that the "best work" is done. I'd say that evolution, epiphany, and even recklessness breeds equally (if not better) thinking. Imagination and creativity often wilt in such organized mental environments.

A
R
T

so philosophy is not dead then

but the ability to be rational is
failures art

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 07:49 pm
@north,
If we stop using our imagination and creative ability and instead opt for recycling old ideas, then yes it's pretty dead... or even if it is alive, useless. Fashion and sports seem to be thriving though.

A broken or malfunctioning computer and a super computer that is unplugged have comparable computing power.

I don't think it's dead, but perhaps dying.

A
R
T
north

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 08:17 pm
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

If we stop using our imagination and creative ability and instead opt for recycling old ideas, then yes it's pretty dead... or even if it is alive, useless.

true

traditional thinking while has its points is not up to speed with the knowledge we now have

Quote:
Fashion and sports seem to be thriving though.

regression , to some extent , not fully , but to some extent

Quote:
A broken or malfunctioning computer and a super computer that is unplugged have comparable computing power.

how

Quote:
I don't think it's dead, but perhaps dying.

A
R
T

its not philosophy that is dying ( who doesn't have an opinion about something , opinion means have at least thought about the subject )

it is the notion that philosophy IS ABOUT OPINION ONLY , that philiosophy has no ability to reason

Socrates in Plato's Republic should be the foundation of the ability to reason

it is the inability to reason that will destroy philosophy

not the lack of immagination and/or creativity of us
dyslexia

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 08:38 pm
@north,
Quote:
bizarre, just what type of drugs are you currently using?
north

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 08:49 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

Quote:
bizarre, just what type of drugs are you currently using?

so you think that the fundamental reasoning by Socrates is wrong towards sophistry
Arjuna

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 09:18 pm
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

I'm talking about Christianity assuming the position as the definitive religion to be debunked. It is pushing to the front of the line as if it was somehow different than any other religion, or capable of meeting intellectual burdens they aren't. This just isn't true.
God came down from heaven to save us by allowing himself to be tortured to death... although he didn't actually die. Debunk away dude. There are unique aspects of Christianity. Like the spiritual trail of the oppressed. There's nothing to debunk there. It's either valuable to you and you get it, or not.

failures art wrote:

Let's be careful with language here. Gravity isn't provable. Matter being drawn together is. This is the difference between a theory and a law.
I was talking about experimental proof of M-theory.

I take it that you don't see much value in high-falutin talk. Got it. To each his own, my friend.
north

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 09:33 pm
@Arjuna,
Arjuna wrote:

failures art wrote:

Quote:
God came down from heaven to save us by allowing himself to be tortured to death... although he didn't actually die. Debunk away dude. There are unique aspects of Christianity. Like the spiritual trail of the oppressed. There's nothing to debunk there. It's either valuable to you and you get it, or not.

christianity or any religion , is the fantasy of the mind

it only leads to a fantasy of a immaginary being that is more important than Humanity , which is fundamentaly wrong

religion DIVIVDES HUMANITY and does NOT bring Humanity closer together

now either god knew this or god is a fool
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 10:18 pm
@north,
north wrote:

Quote:

how

I think you mean "why," and the reason is that a super computer when unplugged has the computing power of a rock. The broken computer may or may not work. At worst, it doesn't in which case it's the exact same as the super computer and the rock.

A
R
T
north

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 10:25 pm
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

north wrote:

Quote:

how

I think you mean "why," and the reason is that a super computer when unplugged has the computing power of a rock. The broken computer may or may not work. At worst, it doesn't in which case it's the exact same as the super computer and the rock.

A
R
T

gottcha

oops I missed the reasoning !!!!

so though , is philosophy dead ?
failures art

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2010 10:29 pm
@Arjuna,
Arjuna wrote:

God came down from heaven to save us by allowing himself to be tortured to death... although he didn't actually die. Debunk away dude.

As I said before, the mythology is built on the notion that a god or gods can even exist. If you can't demonstrate this, then how exactly are you supposed to argue that they did any of the things they claim?

More to the point, you are requesting a negative proof. Debunk a negative? How about a positive? For instance, we examine that a story in a religion relies on other stories to be true. We can take something like a world flood which is integral to the historical account of a given religion, and then examine that this claim is not supported by our studies of soil/sediment. If no such flood happened, then the outcome of said fictional flood is debunked as a product.

Arjuna wrote:

There are unique aspects of Christianity. Like the spiritual trail of the oppressed.

This is perhaps the least unique thing about Christianity. Spiritual trials are perhaps the least common denominator of religion itself. Show me a religion where there is no spiritual trial.

Arjuna wrote:

There's nothing to debunk there. It's either valuable to you and you get it, or not.

Or you get it, and it's not valuable.

A
R
T