Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 09:15 pm
@Fido,
...no one ! We are on loose mod. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 09:28 pm
@failures art,
Mind also that the problem of Truth is open to general Society and it not concerns only philosophers...says it all that so far no one was able to make a case for final Truth, or knowledge with certainty, to make it more clear...there´s no agenda on this !
failures art

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 09:28 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

1 - The problem is not with Philosophers but with Scientists...the method it was useful, and it has its merits in its context, a motivation to look for empirical justification...of course if one takes it beyond its scope critic is very well due !

You're drawing a very odd line between scientists and philosophers. How are they exclusive (speaking to the original post)? Further, what "problem" exists with scientists?

What is the value of philosophy unto itself? What of its value qualitatively to thinking? I think that thinking has been sidelined by an effort to institutionalize philosophy. This is what I mean when I roll my eyes. Philosophy become fashion; it's become sport. Thinking boxed in with brands, and measured in exchanges of egos. Very few people are left in the end to try and use philosophy. Perhaps it is dead.

It was once pointed out to me that in the US, our streets have names and the blocks are just the spaces between the streets. In Japan, the blocks have names/numbers and the streets are just the space between the blocks. We could tide back and forth about east and west, but perhaps we should simply explore what the product of both mentalities have had on things like the postal service, civic planning, or even how people relate to their own communities. Socrates, Aristotle, Nietzsche, Popper, and any other "great mind" can be sidelined, and we can simply have license to speak without them.

A
R
T
failures art

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 09:35 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Mind also that the problem of Truth is open to general Society and it not concerns only philosophers...says it all that so far no one was able to make a case for final Truth, or knowledge with certainty, to make it more clear...there´s no agenda on this !

Convergence, my friend.

If I remove 10 pieces of a Mickey Mouse jigsaw puzzle at random, and hide them in a room, then give the puzzle pieces to a person to assemble they will put the picture together. The picture will be missing 10 pieces, so there is no "final truth" as to what the image is. Perhaps, the person finds some of the pieces I hid and add them to the puzzle. What we won't see is that the second the final piece is placed, that the picture suddenly becomes a picture of Pacman.

Truth does concern the greater public, and not just philosophers. However, it will be the philosophers that provide the resistance to simply saying the puzzle is a picture of mickey mouse with notions like "final truth."

A
R
T
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 09:38 pm
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

Fil Albuquerque wrote:

1 - The problem is not with Philosophers but with Scientists...the method it was useful, and it has its merits in its context, a motivation to look for empirical justification...of course if one takes it beyond its scope critic is very well due !

You're drawing a very odd line between scientists and philosophers. How are they exclusive (speaking to the original post)? Further, what "problem" exists with scientists?

What is the value of philosophy unto itself? What of its value qualitatively to thinking? I think that thinking has been sidelined by an effort to institutionalize philosophy. This is what I mean when I roll my eyes. Philosophy become fashion; it's become sport. Thinking boxed in with brands, and measured in exchanges of egos. Very few people are left in the end to try and use philosophy. Perhaps it is dead.

It was once pointed out to me that in the US, our streets have names and the blocks are just the spaces between the streets. In Japan, the blocks have names/numbers and the streets are just the space between the blocks. We could tide back and forth about east and west, but perhaps we should simply explore what the product of both mentalities have had on things like the postal service, civic planning, or even how people relate to their own communities. Socrates, Aristotle, Nietzsche, Popper, and any other "great mind" can be sidelined, and we can simply have license to speak without them.

A
R
T

1- You certainly can have license to speak without them...

2 - The problem concerning Falsifiability is from Sciences fore...meaning it formally belongs to their method...that was what I was focusing when I pointed it out above...Philosophy has a vaster view concerning this maybe because devoted so much more time to it...
...You see, I often find your reasoning well put and justified...nevertheless sometimes you can be biased and quickly dismissive without the due attention to what is what and who is who...a waste of mental resources...
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 09:44 pm
@failures art,
1 - You must really distinguish Knowledge with certainty from a Truth existing whether or not we are ever going to get it...

2 - For instance in a very straight forward and not complicated manner to say that there is a Truth is to say that the world exists or that something is actual...

3 - The problem is with discourse and perception not the World...

4 - That something is out there, seams very reasonable, not just to answer but to even question anything...and this is independently if we are or will ever be able to tell with certainty, what is exactly...

Why is not this message getting across ???
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 10:04 pm
I will give you an odd metaphor for the virtues of Philosophy as if I were an old country side peasant sitting in a rock...
(don´t ask...)

Philosophers are mostly weasel blowers while Scientists "cash in" cars and washing machines...
There is a difference there when it comes to the right motivation ! (nowadays thankfully things are getting a bit different)
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 10:30 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Here is some very interesting criticism on Popper´s Falsifiability :

Quote:
Kuhn and Lakatos

Whereas Popper was concerned in the main with the logic of science, Thomas Kuhn’s influential book The Structure of Scientific Revolutions examined in detail the history of science. Kuhn argued that scientists work within a conceptual paradigm that strongly influences the way in which they see data. Scientists will go to great length to defend their paradigm against falsification, by the addition of ad hoc hypotheses to existing theories. Changing a 'paradigm' is difficult, as it requires an individual scientist to break with his or her peers and defend a heterodox theory.

Some falsificationists saw Kuhn’s work as a vindication, since it provided historical evidence that science progressed by rejecting inadequate theories, and that it is the decision, on the part of the scientist, to accept or reject a theory that is the crucial element of falsificationism. Foremost amongst these was Imre Lakatos.

Lakatos attempted to explain Kuhn’s work by arguing that science progresses by the falsification of research programs rather than the more specific universal statements of naïve falsification. In Lakatos' approach, a scientist works within a research program that corresponds roughly with Kuhn's 'paradigm'. Whereas Popper rejected the use of ad hoc hypotheses as unscientific, Lakatos accepted their place in the development of new theories.

Some philosophers of science, such as Paul Feyerabend, take Kuhn's work as showing that social factors, rather than adherence to a purely rational method, decide which scientific theories gain general acceptance. Many other philosophers of science dispute such a view, such as Alan Sokal and Kuhn himself.

Feyerabend

Paul Feyerabend examined the history of science with a more critical eye, and ultimately rejected any prescriptive methodology at all. He rejected Lakatos’ argument for ad hoc hypothesis, arguing that science would not have progressed without making use of any and all available methods to support new theories. He rejected any reliance on a scientific method, along with any special authority for science that might derive from such a method. Rather, he claimed that if one is keen to have a universally valid methodological rule, epistemological anarchism or anything goes would be the only candidate. For Feyerabend, any special status that science might have derives from the social and physical value of the results of science rather than its method.

Sokal and Bricmont

In their book Fashionable Nonsense (published in the UK as Intellectual Impostures) the physicists Alan Sokal and Jean Bricmont criticized falsifiability on the grounds that it does not accurately describe the way science really works. They argue that theories are used because of their successes, not because of the failures of other theories. Their discussion of Popper, falsifiability and the philosophy of science comes in a chapter entitled "Intermezzo," which contains an attempt to make clear their own views of what constitutes truth, in contrast with the extreme epistemological relativism of postmodernism.

Sokal and Bricmont write, "When a theory successfully withstands an attempt at falsification, a scientist will, quite naturally, consider the theory to be partially confirmed and will accord it a greater likelihood or a higher subjective probability. ... But Popper will have none of this: throughout his life he was a stubborn opponent of any idea of 'confirmation' of a theory, or even of its 'probability'. ... [but] the history of science teaches us that scientific theories come to be accepted above all because of their successes." (Sokal and Bricmont 1997, 62f)

They further argue that falsifiability cannot distinguish between astrology and astronomy, as both make technical predictions that are sometimes incorrect.

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falsifiability#Feyerabend
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2010 11:21 pm
In resume:

Falsifiability that concerned initially in a critic to the Scientific Method and that later was accommodated when it was useful to recur to it, mostly to make an institutional defensive stance on convenience, has been suffering abuse in both directions ever since, either exaggerating its usefulness in a blindly way or simply by means of dismissively denying its pedagogical practicality...Science in general is known to swing around its sword bending is methodology to the side which brings it less resistance...an understandable sin some will say, n´or better or horse then anyone´s else, but a sin in any case, that falls heavily on an Institution that makes so much of itself when it comes to the rigour of its rules...a modern Myth ! From the myth busters themselves...

Either the classical argument that there is no proof on the wrongness of a Scientific Theory on "whatever field", or the persistent argument that such proof is to demanding regarding the aim of its practical scope...deja vu ?
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 02:55 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

1 - You must really distinguish Knowledge with certainty from a Truth existing whether or not we are ever going to get it...

A distinction may be drawn, but it is not always necessary to be drawn. Certainly it can be such that the truths that we agree upon have a great overlap with knowledge with great certainty.

If there is a need for such a distinction, let it be. Otherwise, there is no sense to added mental labor to divide for dividing sake.

Fil Albuquerque wrote:

2 - For instance in a very straight forward and not complicated manner to say that there is a Truth is to say that the world exists or that something is actual...

...and we know this with great certainty. No division needed.

Fil Albuquerque wrote:

3 - The problem is with discourse and perception not the World...

Correct. The world is fine without us. We're just the current residents. Nothing of real galactic import.

Fil Albuquerque wrote:

4 - That something is out there, seams very reasonable, not just to answer but to even question anything...and this is independently if we are or will ever be able to tell with certainty, what is exactly...

I literally can't tell what you're trying to say here.

Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Why is not this message getting across ???

One possibility is that your language is difficult to digest so communicating ideas is impaired. Another possibility is that I simply disagree with your opinion.

A
R
There is, of course, room for overlap.
failures art

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 03:01 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

I will give you an odd metaphor for the virtues of Philosophy as if I were an old country side peasant sitting in a rock...
(don´t ask...)

Philosophers are mostly weasel blowers while Scientists "cash in" cars and washing machines...
There is a difference there when it comes to the right motivation ! (nowadays thankfully things are getting a bit different)

This is an odd metaphor being that I cannot conceptualize the relationship between "weasel blowers," cars, and washing machines. Perhaps, you meant "whistle blowers," but I'm not sure how that would make much more sense.

I still think you're needlessly elevating philosophers to some higher class of thinkers. If I didn't know better, I'd propose this is a conspiracy by the major furniture companies to sell more armchairs.

A
R
T
spendius

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 04:19 am
@failures art,
Hey fa--you're getting witty.

Assuming "armchairs" is a metaphor for "sitting on the arse" in the presence of service providers you needn't have bothered weaseling out with "If I didn't know better".

I think that it is technologists who cash in on cars and washing machines. Excepting, of course, that element in the design of such things geared to the convenience of ladies.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 07:04 am
@failures art,
Quote:
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

failures art wrote:
I literally can't tell what you're trying to say here.

By something, I meant X as an unknown, yet existing, defined Truth at t1...now re-read the sentence with that in mind...

As for the importance on the distinction between Truth and Knowledge I will go for the Kennethamy classic since it starts to fill more then needed to clarify it...

That Quito is the Capital of Ecuador is True whether I know it or not...
Independently of my knowing about it, there is a True statement there based on the convention of what a capital is...to know, or to know with certainty, is a very different thing (epistemic problem) then to be, the state of affairs of something that we are trying to get to...my knowing or not knowing does n´t make it more or less True.
Perhaps now (hopefully) you can see why is important to make the distinction...
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 07:09 am
@failures art,
We disagree here, pointless to keep at it... but "whistle blowers" was the right expression to which I was aiming at...nevertheless I did appreciate the joke you brought up, was funny ! Wink
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 07:14 am
@spendius,
What do you imagine Scientists are (most of them anyway) if not Technologists working for the private sector ???
Oh dear !... Rolling Eyes
spendius

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 09:11 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Never mind the "Oh dears!" old boy

You look it up. Scientists conjure out of nothing that which the technologist uses to enrich himself. And for no other reason than that he likes conjuring things out of nothing and cares not one jot about the uses to which his discoveries are put. He will usually care not one jot about his personal habits either. He would wonder what is up with someone who pointed out to him that he was wearing odd shoes.

The car and washing machine brainboxes ask the ladies how they would like these things designed and then do it and bow and grin sheepishly when the ladies approve of what convenient little good boys they are.

What happened to the bench front seat for example. It was the cheapest I should think and useful often when the vehicle was parked in a dark, shady farm gateway after the pubs shut. Which can be a dangerous thing to do as my mate Vic can explain better than I can. I only felt the backdraught.

There are millions of us who owe our existence to bench seats. The trials and tribulations of which are nothing besides our moments of joy.

And the curtain technologists have made our pub look like the ladies' changing room at the House of Lords on a busy day. Florid bloomer style.
Card tables and ashtrays are gone. We have nice tables for nice people to sit quietly chatting. And the menu is larded with French expressions.

It's obvious that certain French expressions have an arousing effect on ladies from the number we see in use in those places designed to arouse the lovely little darlings. Mild frissons admittedly but all the sex education in schools stresses how important a graduated build up is. Don't they?? I assume they do. Girls gave me my sex education. "You are the book of knowledge, Rita May,"

Yeah Fil--look it up. Veblen does it.

And technologists are just as important as scientists. What's the use of E=MC squared if nobody makes it go BANG.
john2054

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 09:18 am
@failures art,
Hi failures, I think it was you or one of you breathren that said 'God is dead'. Now how can I disagree with this proactive assertion. Clearly as an entity, weilding thunderbolts and breathing love, this is a valid statement. Because surely as a being God is nil. And so there your 'dead' becomes validated. But.... as an IDEA. In a book written by men (the Bible), as one among others, he is an idea. And how can an idea be dead? Not when lots of people all over the world still goto church and pray in 'his' name. Still eat his last meal and drink the blood of his covenant. This live they breath into a living and practiced religion. Which keeps God alive, by people simply believing in 'Him'. Nothing more nothing less.
failures art

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 09:30 am
@john2054,
The Nietzsche quote to which you refer certainly is famous, but I'm not really engaged to it. That which never lives, cannot be dead. Even by your own evaluation, the Christian god is not alive, but the idea of it. I'm might be in love with the idea of a person, but not actually love the person. The idea and what is real are not one and the same. People believe all sorts of things about the nature and character of many of the American founding fathers, but despite invoking them as frequently as we so often do, they are as dead as ever. For that matter, the idea of them is so often false. The idea that many people think about a given god keeps them alive is specious.

Additionally, why immediately go to Christianity? The Christian theology is in no way exceptional or worth special investigation. If you wish to focus on Nietzsche, his spear pierces Odin, Ra, and Minerva exactly the same.

I suspect that the expedited mention of Christianity is an attempt to put a very specific religious mythology in the center of the issue. This means that whether you can prove your point or form a cogent argument, you've done your part to make Christianity more relevant in the ongoing dialog on the existence of deities. It is not. Christianity deserves no such special treatment.

A
R
T
spendius

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 09:58 am
@failures art,
Of course Christianity deserves special treatment. Not only is it our cultural heritage but it has been successful as well in Darwinian terms. It's techniques, its law, its sport and its language are taking over the whole earth.

What other religion do you think deserves equal treatment. Maybe you are attracted to peeping in the window of other religions to distract yourself from a proper study of our's. And to be able to sound arty and knowledgeable about them in company which knows nothing of them.

At this very moment millions of Indians are being told by their own media that the conditions in which they would dearly love to live their lives are "unfit" for westernised athletes and their minders. And are "disgusting".

You don't wish to give Christianity special treatment, I can say, because if you did you might find that some of the things you have said about it are naive and ignorant and rely upon a naive and ignorant audience to avoid them being laughed at, and you daren't risk that because you have personal subjectivities to consider as well which would be at odds with such new conclusions.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2010 10:44 am
@spendius,
Half way through the poetic noesis, you get at, with undoubted good taste, might have made you lost the balance concerning my rather stoic verbiage on the subject at hand...the fact is that I am not at odds with everybody having its useful place, that seams straight common knowledge, old chap ! The problem goes precisely in believing and thinking that everybody can have others rightful place...a democratic misunderstanding that the market has to correct everyday now...
Technologists are not Scientists in the wishful sense, although they seam to think so with the cracking colourful fire works of their deeds, as looking good makes the day in the market of Scientific knowledge...specially when to get to the middle class fairy history and truth designing...bang you said, and bang indeed old fellow ! But I rather go "bong" on the first left... Wink

Cheers !
FILIPE DE ALBUQUERQUE