Mayor Daley of Chicago Will Not run Again

Miller

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2010 05:23 pm
Mayor Richard Daley of Chicago Will Not Run Again

Lynn Sweet
Correspondent

Posted: 09/7/10CHICAGO -- Mayor Richard Daley on Tuesday announced that he would not seek another term when he is up for re-election next year.

Daley, 68, first elected mayor in 1989, had been expected to hold off on deciding whether to run again until after the November elections. In City Hall, the bombshell came in a short statement from Daley during a brief press conference that was called to make a cabinet announcement.

"The truth is, I have been thinking about this for the past several months. In the end, this is a personal decision, no more, no less," Daley said. He was flanked by his wife, Maggie, his children and their spouses.

"I'm shocked," said Alderman Margaret Laurino. Alderman Helen Shiller, who is in her 24th year on the City Council, said the same thing, adding "I would not have bet money on this."

Daley has not anointed a successor. The 2011 primary is Feb. 22 and there is no obvious front-runner. White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel has said he would run if Daley did not. Alderman Joe Moore, asked about Emanuel's viability in what is sure to be a crowded field said, "He would have to stand in line with everybody else."

Emanuel issued a statement that did not indicate his intentions.

"While Mayor Daley surprised me today with his decision to not run for reelection, I have never been surprised by his leadership, dedication and tireless work on behalf of the city and the people of Chicago," Emanuel said.

In December, Daley becomes the city's longest serving mayor-surpassing the tenure of his father, Richard J. Daley.
www.politicsdaily.com
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,372 • Replies: 0
No top replies