texas: a strange world indeed

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 09:36 am
Houston elects a "liberal democrat"
Businessman Bill White, whose record-setting $8.6 million campaign focused on Houston voters' desire for better management at City Hall, easily beat former City Councilman Orlando Sanchez in Saturday's runoff to replace term-limited Mayor Lee Brown.
In complete but unofficial returns, White's multiethnic coalition took 62 percent of the vote to crush Sanchez, who lost his second runoff in two years. Sanchez, with 38 percent, would have been the city's first Hispanic mayor.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 758 • Replies: 11
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 12:36 pm
Houston is an international city. We have a population more diverse than just about anywhere in the USA. Plus, White was smart, personable, and spent his money in just the right ways to get our attention. I am looking to him to be similar to Bob Lanier, who was the best Houston mayor, in my estimation, in my memory.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 01:26 pm
You mean...you Houstonionionians don't ride horses, and live on ranches? There isn't a dusty main street, with saloons, and gunfights at high noon? Shocked
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 02:17 pm
The only time that image comes close to reality is during the annual trail ride and the rodeo. The rest of the time we could be a city in California or New York.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 08:45 pm
White ran against a Hispanic named Sanchez and a black man named Turner. Sanchez is a conservative Republican, Turner a Democrat. Turner was very nearly elected the year Lanier took it, but his campaign got torpedoed by a local tv station which broadcast a story a day or so before the election that made Turner look like a shyster lawyer. His public perception will never totally recover from that story.
Smith impresses me to date with a seeming determination to get us moving after Brown's two very nearly static terms. He seems to be considering every option before he even gets in office.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 09:27 pm
Pleased.
It is real pleasing to see that there are still some people left there that aren't insane, arrogant, self rigtheous, neanderthal, right wing fascists.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 01:24 pm
Re: texas: a strange world indeed
dyslexia wrote:
Houston elects a "liberal democrat"

Houston also elected an openly gay woman, Annise Parker, a term-limited City council member, as Controller, by the same 62-38 margin.

She ain't Republican, either.

In the suburbs of Houston reside those who continue sending Tom DeLay to Washington.

I'm thankful to live in one of the last bastions of common sense in this state.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 01:29 pm
PDiddie, lets just say I wouldn't want to drive thru Sugarland after dark... Smile
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2003 06:10 pm
I have a friend who is so paranoid about Houston, because there are so many areas in which whites are the distinct minority, he can't mention it without bringing up getting robbed, killed, whatever. I try to tell him that I lived in Houston as a contractor for many years, covering most of the city, with not one such incident. It doesn't reassure him at all. Same with Sugarland and Tom DeLay's area. For the most part if you tend to your own life, other people will tend to theirs. My work took me to an area town called Tomball, where I settled, but I don't hesitate to go to Houston when I want to. I generally take the park and ride to get right downtown. It's actually a pleasant ride from out on I-45 all the way in, with nothing to do but watch the traffic and everchanging landscape.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 10:22 pm
You will see a lot more of Houston on television as the Superbowl draws near.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 10:31 pm
I was talking to an aunt today who moved to Houston two years ago, from Chicago, and she was disturbed by a photo of 5 little caskets on the front page of the newspaper. She says that there seems to be an abundance of fires and deaths by fire there in Houston and we were trying to determine why?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2003 10:43 pm
Careless people without smoke alarms, people misusing space heaters - It's almost always due to such things. Lately there have been some arsons also.
0 Replies