I enjoy the taste of humis, but what is it good for besides dipping?

djjd62

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 11:08 am
i like hummus as spread on sandwiches too, a nice spicy hummus, lettuce, red and yellow peppers cut in strips, cucumber, tomato, red onion, maybe some hot pickled peppers all wrapped up in a pita, yum
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 11:29 am
@djjd62,
Quote:
i like hummus as spread on sandwiches too, a nice spicy hummus, lettuce, red and yellow peppers cut in strips, cucumber, tomato, red onion, maybe some hot pickled peppers all wrapped up in a pita, yum

Let the record show that I second the motion of Yum!

Right now, I'm eating roasted pine nut hummus and corn chips.
0 Replies

ibstubro

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 11:36 am
@djjd62,
My IrritableBS is not liking a lot of raw veggies lately, and it make my gut ache to think about spicy+veggie+spicy! Once upona, I would have torn it up, and it has GOT to be visually appealing.

Have you cooked for a living? I can tell from the post that you 'get' the fact that food is first devoured by the eyes...presentation can make mediocre into magnificent, especially in America!

The poem on your profile is great...origin? I'm now stalki...er...following you.
ibstubro

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 11:37 am
I'm going to have to get off here and run to town for more bread, pretty soon! lol
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2010 11:56 am
@ibstubro,
love to cook, but strictly for pleasure, the song (poem) is by Steve Forbert, a very underrated musician
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Forbert

his first two albums Alive on Arrival & Jackrabbit Slim are wonderful, he continued to produce great songs but never quite got the commercial success he deserved, he's notable for being the boy in the tux who shows up for a date with Cindy Lauper at the end of her Girls Just Wanna Have Fun video

he comes in with a bouquet of flowers at about 3:44 on the video
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 07:58 am
@ibstubro,
ibstubro wrote:
Quote:
Mix it with tuna instead of mayo. It's deevine.

This information, abetted by the discovery of an amazing new brand of bread, has caused me to live on tuna/hummus sandwiches for days, now.

Tuna in olive oil and roasted garlic mixed with black olive hummus was amazing! I had to add a tablespoon or so of mayo for spreadability.

Today I'm having garlic lovers hummus and albacore tuna in water. I discovered that if using tuna in water, don't squeeze it dry, and there's no need for the mayo.

I have your beloved roasted red pepper hummus in the fridge...it and the garlic lovers are only $1.69 at Aldis. lol

Thanks! I'm going to try it with sardines and canned salmon, eventually.

I, um, maybe I should suggest that you add some more mint to your diet.

I'm just sayin'. Wink
ibstubro

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 01:33 pm
@jespah,
Nah, I got one of those new spinning/sonic toothbrushes, if that's what you're referring to! Works great! Parsley might be good in the salad, though!

I'm thinking about Hummiento Cheese spread. Ground Velveeta, hummus and chopped pimientos. What do you think?
jespah

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 03:52 pm
@ibstubro,
I'm not a Velveeta fan, but if it floats your boat, go fer it. Maybe Monterey Jack, or even Asiago if you want more of a kick to it.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 04:10 pm
@jespah,
that's unamerican, ya know...

jespah

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 04:21 pm
@Rockhead,
I'm a bad, bad, naughty girl.
0 Replies

ibstubro

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 04:28 pm
@jespah,
It's just that my aunt's pimiento cheese spread recipe called for Velveeta, AND, you can get it pre-ground in zip packages.

It's tough to get cheese into small bits without a HUGE mess.
ibstubro

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 04:31 pm
@Rockhead,
UN + healthy = American
UN + American = healthy

0 Replies

mismi

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 04:48 pm
@Region Philbis,
Quote:
roasted red pepper hummus...

mmmmm yesssssss....roasted red pepper is delish. I'm a dipper. If I have hummus - I want some soft flat bread to drag through it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 05:43 pm
@ibstubro,

frowns...
ibstubro

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 05:51 pm
@ossobuco,
What's the problem, pooch?
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 06:51 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
frowns...

me too. <frown>
ibstubro

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 06:57 pm
@mismi,
Ah, geeze.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 07:17 pm
@ibstubro,
I eat velveeta.

mismi does too, she just isn't admitting it...

how do you make rotel dip without velveeta...?
mismi

Reply Sun 12 Sep, 2010 07:22 pm
@Rockhead,
Oh Yeah Rock - I eat rotel dip. I don't mind velveeta at all. I am an "everything in moderation - mostly" kind of gal. Smile I am not a food snob. I have eaten fried spam too...(camping trip - interesting).

It was all of the equations I was giving the evil eye over...pidgeon holer.
ibstubro

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2010 07:48 pm
@mismi,
me too. <frown>

There's no retching Emoticon for fried spam.
I suppose it was a nice contrast...back to nature meets unnatural substance.

I have more than a little understanding of roger rat's humor. If thine eye offend thee, roll it and move on. Very Happy

0 Replies