What Is The Greatest Gift Imaginable - And Why?

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 03:48 pm
Hello!

What is the greatest gift you have ever received, and why is this?

Thank you, prosper accordingly!
Mark...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 18 • Views: 7,028 • Replies: 53
No top replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 04:01 pm
@mark noble,
The gift of 'Mark', because of his interesting posts, and just because he's a great, all round guy. Wink
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 06:15 pm
Despite all my limitations and faults, a young friend trusted me to raise her child.

Since that was my greatest gift, and since I can't begin to think of a person as a "gift", I'll say the greatest gift imagnable is trust.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2010 04:49 am
@mark noble,
Awareness (even limited)...what are we without it? How would we grow? How would we know what others are feeling? How would we know why we do things? Life would be lesser I think.
Ceili

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2010 07:26 am
Life
0 Replies

A Lyn Fei

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2010 09:10 am
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:

Awareness (even limited)...what are we without it? How would we grow? How would we know what others are feeling? How would we know why we do things? Life would be lesser I think.

Respectfully, I disagree. We don't know why we do things. We don't have any tangible answers to the great questions which arise from this awareness. And is it a gift or just circumstance? Without awareness we wouldn't be able to say that life is lesser simply because we would be unaware of it.

The greatest gift I have ever received- by defining gift as an object received for no other reason than the act of giving- was a book of Isaac Asimov stories. The reason is that this gift was from a person who had only known me for a few days, and yet gave me something that showed me how honestly we had bonded. In a more abstract sense of the word "gift", any hug or kiss received takes the greatest gift spot. The reason is that touch is a dying sensation. To really enjoy being in the immediate personal space of another human being is to let oneself be vulnerable and accept that we cannot control the space around us. For anyone to give up their security to feel close to me is a thing better left without words. Gifts, in my mind, if I should rank them, rank in terms of happiness for both giver and receiver.

It is a nice thing to think about. Thanks, Mark.
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2010 09:21 am
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:
Insight, rationallity ..which is at the same time a great curse ..as I can't control it, I'm not strong enough.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2010 10:51 am
Reyn wrote:

The gift of 'Mark', because of his interesting posts, and just because he's a great, all round guy. Wink

Hi Reyn!

You are a lovely person!

Journey well sir!
Mark...

boomerang wrote:

Despite all my limitations and faults, a young friend trusted me to raise her child.

Since that was my greatest gift, and since I can't begin to think of a person as a "gift", I'll say the greatest gift imagnable is trust.

Hi Boomerang!

You have an open heart. A good one too!

Also journey well!
Mark...

vikorr wrote:

Hi Vikorr!

I believe that awareness is essential - a given - not a gift.
For without it we are dead to this realm.

Thank you! Have a lovely day!
Mark...

Ceili wrote:

Life

Hi!

Why?

Be well!
Mark...

A Lyn Fei wrote:

vikorr wrote:

Respectfully, I disagree. We don't know why we do things. We don't have any tangible answers to the great questions which arise from this awareness. And is it a gift or just circumstance? Without awareness we wouldn't be able to say that life is lesser simply because we would be unaware of it.

The greatest gift I have ever received- by defining gift as an object received for no other reason than the act of giving- was a book of Isaac Asimov stories. The reason is that this gift was from a person who had only known me for a few days, and yet gave me something that showed me how honestly we had bonded. In a more abstract sense of the word "gift", any hug or kiss received takes the greatest gift spot. The reason is that touch is a dying sensation. To really enjoy being in the immediate personal space of another human being is to let oneself be vulnerable and accept that we cannot control the space around us. For anyone to give up their security to feel close to me is a thing better left without words. Gifts, in my mind, if I should rank them, rank in terms of happiness for both giver and receiver.

It is a nice thing to think about. Thanks, Mark.

I miss you!

Mark...

HexHammer wrote:

mark noble wrote:
Insight, rationallity ..which is at the same time a great curse ..as I can't control it, I'm not strong enough.

Hi Hex!

You are stronger than you think. I think you're great!
Be well, my friend!
Mark...
Reyn

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2010 12:26 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:
Journey well sir!

Will I have to travel far?
mark noble

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2010 12:42 pm
@Reyn,
Reyn wrote:

mark noble wrote:
Journey well sir!

Will I have to travel far?

Hi Reyn!

That depends on your interpretation of 'far'.

Have an interesting everything, my friend!
Mark...
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2010 01:48 pm
A Red Ryder Carbine BB Gun with a compass in the stock.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 05:01 am
@mark noble,
A million dollars or perhaps whatever the Whitney Houston sings about in that one song of hers....
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 05:02 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
blueveinedthrobber wrote:

A Red Ryder Carbine BB Gun with a compass in the stock.

I have been proven wrong once again!! You have given the perfect answer!

Kudos BVT!
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 07:05 am
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

You are stronger than you think. I think you're great!
I'm but a faint echo of my once bright past.
mark noble

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 12:54 pm
@HexHammer,
Hex!

Unto you, you are what you interpret yourself to be,. Unto me you are an inspiration.

Each man's life is vitally important, maybe not unto the man himself, but unto those his nature and being comes into contact with.

You are awesome Hex!!!

Mark...
HexHammer

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 04:22 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:
Unto you, you are what you interpret yourself to be,. Unto me you are an inspiration.

Each man's life is vitally important, maybe not unto the man himself, but unto those his nature and being comes into contact with.
No ..there's wishful thinking and realism. May wish themselves like superheroes, but are in reality only losers.

Besides only in our ethics and morals each person is importaint, but in reality life goes on if 1 of us dies, that's how it is.
mark noble

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 01:16 pm
@HexHammer,
Hi Hex!

Didn't you ever watch 'It's A Wonderful Life'?

Mark...
HexHammer

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 01:47 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:
Didn't you ever watch 'It's A Wonderful Life'?
no don't think so.
mark noble

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 01:49 pm
@HexHammer,
It is the classic of all classics Hex.

I suggest that you take time out for this one.

Mark...
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 02:21 pm
@HexHammer,
I'm super proud of you HH for staying away from that overflowing saccharine feel-good flick. http://i53.tinypic.com/97tys3.jpg