Fore! er... wait a minute... oh crap... FIRE!!

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 03:54 am
Quote:
Golfer's swing sparks 12-acre blaze

IRVINE, Calif. -- Forget "Fore!"

"Fire!" was the cry of the day for a golfer whose off-target swing sparked a 12-acre blaze in Southern California.

The golfer at the Shady Canyon Golf Course in Irvine landed a shot in the rough Saturday. On his next swing, his club snagged a rock, causing a spark that lit the rough ablaze and eventually attracted 150 firefighters to the scene.

Fire officials say the fire burned through the rough, into vegetation next to the course and over two dry, brushy hillsides.

No charges were filed against the golfer, whose name was withheld.
(ESPN)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,928 • Replies: 6

dadpad

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 03:57 am
I thought golf clubs were an aluminium alloy of some kind? Guess i must be wrong.

Aloominum does not create sparks.
roger

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 04:12 am
@Region Philbis,
I think they need to continue the investigation.
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 08:39 am
@roger,

ok, give 'em a mulligan...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 08:43 am
@Region Philbis,
Sorry to my fellow southern californians, and my cousins who live near Irvine, but that made me laugh. Not really funny, though, in that the area is a tinder box at this time of year.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 08:46 am
@dadpad,
Maybe not all of them - I bet some of the oldie but goody clubs aren't.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 09:18 am
@ossobuco,
I saved a few of my father's old clubs, and gave the main irons and drivers and golf bag to a friend of my ex's. I suppose I rue that day, but I'd have been carrying those things around each time I moved for several more decades if I hadn't given them away.

Assuming at least one of the few clubs I have isn't aluminum (or is it?), I wonder when the change occurred in the manufacturing process.. (I'm guessing the sixties.)

Anyway, they're interesting. I looked them up online some years ago, but.. forget what I found. I'll read what is shown on the heads -

1) The most interesting to me says on one side, Mary Pickford Co. (she was an old Hollywood movie star).
On the other side, it says Hand Forged; Sturr Bilt; Tartan chromium plated; putter; matched.
Does chromium spark?
2) another says nothing but Wilson HOL-(something)
3) another hard to read from some sort of corrosion that I don't want to try to get off. Or do I? Maybe some oil... 60Fcorrosion, then San.... corrosion.
4) Blaster; Burke; unintelligible word or words; Sav-A-Shot

Now I'm curious again.

On the Golf-fire - witnesses?

0 Replies