This admin doesn't believe in the constitution?

IRFRANK

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2010 10:54 pm
I heard that quote from one of the tea partiers at Beck's rally.
I know this is a talking point, but what is it based upon?

As far as I know it's absolute rubbish. The president is sworn in to uphold the constitution and in fact is a constitutional scholar and taught constitutional law at Harvard. He mentions his support for the constitution often in interviews.

If there are any thoughts that various laws that have been passed are unconstitutional, shouldn't that be brought up with the supreme court?

Aren't the laws actually passed by congress? Then signed by the president.

How can this view be so popular? Why do people so easily believe this nonsense? I would respect various approaches to problem solving or even political dogma discussions, but this stuff seems to be such an obvious diversion into fantasy land.

If the tea party wants to be taken seriously, they need to find different headline material.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 630 • Replies: 14
No top replies

jgweed

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 08:49 am
It simply means that the administration doesn't believe in THEIR interpretation of the Constititution.
IRFRANK

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 03:02 pm
@jgweed,
I don't even understand that view. A man that studied law and the constitution at Harvard doesn't agree with their view and I am supposed to doubt his interpretation?

What I'd like to hear about is something specific.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 03:31 pm
@IRFRANK,
IRFRANK wrote:

I don't even understand that view. A man that studied law and the constitution at Harvard doesn't agree with their view and I am supposed to doubt his interpretation?

What I'd like to hear about is something specific.

Well, that's because you aren't an anti-intellectual. You understand things like nuance and shading.

These people don't, and what more, they think that anyone who went to college is actually dumber than those who didn't. That those who study things know less than those who don't. Many of these folks live in a very black-and-white world, and they have invented this fiction that education makes one less understanding of the world, less worthy of discussing national issues.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 03:38 pm
@IRFRANK,
You should read the Constitution itself and read the history and try understand it yourself.

http://www.america.gov/constitution.html?gclid=CMyt66OU4qMCFQ_6iAodMnvjhQ

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Constitution
roger

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 03:53 pm
@IRFRANK,
Then every man who studies law and constitution are going to agree? Well, if you limit the premise to Harvard, I guess you could be right.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 03:55 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Then every man who studies law and constitution are going to agree? Well, if you limit the premise to Harvard, I guess you could be right.

I think it's perfectly fair to say that those who studied Constitutional Law at Harvard understand the Constitution far better than most of those who didn't. The point isn't that opinions differ, it's that one opinion is far more informed than the other - and therefore far more credible.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 05:01 pm
@IRFRANK,
Quote:
He mentions his support for the constitution often in interviews.

He was standing shoulder to shoulder with the people of New Orleans last night on CBS News. Then he flew out to stand shoulder to shoulder with somebody else and left the people of New Orleans to stand shoulder to shoulder with each other.

We don't take any notice of interviews mate.
IRFRANK

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 05:29 pm
@talk72000,
I have read the constitution. Thanks for the links. And, I am aware there can be room for interpretation. It's happened since Jefferson/Hamilton. Do you have a specific example where the current admin has proposed something that is clearly against the constitution?
IRFRANK

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 05:31 pm
@roger,
No, not at all. Even the writers did not agree. I'm not limiting anything to Harvard. I am just challenging a fairly aggressive, broad statement to provide support for it's premise.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 05:33 pm
@spendius,
But I guess that is better than a simple fly over.

Do you suggest he should stay in New Orleans for his term to focus on that problem.

Irrelevant pot shots will be ignored in the future.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 06:11 pm
@IRFRANK,
When I was at university all the professors in all departments wanted to change the US Constitution as they found things they didn't like. Good thing the Founding Fathers made it difficult to change it otherwise every year the US Constitution would be transformed from a cat to a dog. Their comments: It is isn't worth the paper it is written on.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 06:22 pm
@roger,
roger, Nothing like kicking some sand; even when you state the truth. Heck, we still have Americans who believe Obama is a Muslim, and not a US citizen.

There's no cure for stupid, and I'm afraid we have too many of those in this country.

When we have so many people who complain about a mosque being built on ground zero, it's obvious we're far from having common sense and what the Constitution should stand for.

IRFRANK

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 06:32 pm
@talk72000,
Well, there were a few thousand at DC this weekend that would disagree.
few thousand, tens of thousands, a million? who knows.
We can't even get that right.

I would disagree with the statement it isn't worth much though. Our system of govt it laid out has gotten off to a reasonable start. It is hard to change, which it should be. We do have elections, even though some say that's about to change. It will change, usually stating things we are free to do. Let's hope some folks don't get their way and add things we cannot do.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 06:34 pm
@cicerone imposter,
It's interesting that the same folks who want to prevent the mosque are the ones complaining about the admin ignoring the constitution.

One lady from Alaska comes to mind.
0 Replies