obtaining a urine sample

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 05:02 pm
How do you go about getting a urine sample from a potty trained daughter? My daughter is still in diapers, but my friend told me that she had the hardest time getting her daughter to go in the cup while.

Please take the following poll about how parents assist their daughters:

Edit (Moderator): Link removed
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,260 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 07:10 pm
Urine sample from a tiny one? I've heard of using a soaked diaper, but never patiently waiting with a cup.

If it is necessary in a hospital setting they insert a catheter.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 08:04 pm
When my daughter was very tiny, there was some situation (I forget what it was) where we needed a urine sample, and they gave us this contraption to collect it. It was just a little plastic bag that had sticky stuff on some sort of a foam oval that we were supposed to just stick right on her, and leave under the diapers. It was weird, but it worked.

That didn't seem to worry about mid-stream or anything.

One would think that if a urine sample was required, there would also be someone medical who requested it and can give advice on how to get it, though.
0 Replies

Eccles

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 01:06 am
Smile Fortunately I've never been in this situation. Would it be possible to clean/disinfect and then rinse the potty thoroughly before use, encourage your daughter to go (or wait until she is ready, depending on the situation) and pour a little into the cup (using a funnel or over the toilet). It's probably a bit messy, but if a soaked nappy doesn't contaminate the sample, a clean potty is unlikely to.

Very Happy Anyway, your doctor should be able to give you an idea about how it is usually done.
0 Replies