Biggest Single Dislike Of Religion?

rosborne979

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 10:21 am
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:
Acording to the bible, it is not in God's character to do wrong so I am saying nothing that the bible doesn't already say. God does not have us do wrong to bring about a right.

So I guess then we should rephrase the question, "doesn't it give you pause to be interpreting the bible, or selecting the particular interpretation you choose, for others?"
The point being that you may be wrong about the bible, or the bible itself may be wrong. It's ok if what you are expressing is simply your opinion, that's fine. But it's not reasonable to claim that your interpretations and assumptions are anything other than opinion.
Arella Mae

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 10:25 am
@Cyracuz,
Why should something that is biblical give me pause?
Arella Mae

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 10:26 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

Arella Mae wrote:
Acording to the bible, it is not in God's character to do wrong so I am saying nothing that the bible doesn't already say. God does not have us do wrong to bring about a right.

So I guess then we should rephrase the question, "doesn't it give you pause to be interpreting the bible, or selecting the particular interpretation you choose, for others?"
The point being that you may be wrong about the bible, or the bible itself may be wrong. It's ok if what you are expressing is simply your opinion, that's fine. But it's not reasonable to claim that your interpretations and assumptions are anything other than opinion.

I am not going to get into a big debate about the bible. Been there, done that with too many on A2K and it doesn't seem to do a thing but cause problems. I have been pretty much avoiding the S&R threads for a long time and now I remember why.
rosborne979

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 10:28 am
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:
I am not going to get into a big debate about the bible. Been there, done that with too many on A2K and it doesn't seem to do a thing but cause problems. I have been pretty much avoiding the S&R threads for a long time and now I remember why.
Ok.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 10:30 am
@Arella Mae,
So you are assuming that your understanding and interpretation of the bible is perfect? Not to mention the translation and version available to you..
Arella Mae

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 10:34 am
@Cyracuz,
Please refer to my post to rosborne.
Cyracuz

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 10:40 am
@Arella Mae,
Aait.
0 Replies

Arjuna

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 11:28 am
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

If you are a religious person then these definitions are what I had in mind![Need]= the lack of something wanted [Better good] = moral righteousness; virtue: to be a power for good.
More on how you see these definitions relating back to religion?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 01:48 pm
@Arella Mae,
It's because no one individual should feel comfortable speaking for God.
Lash

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 01:49 pm
I guess the preceding comments elucidate one of the things I cannot bear about religion.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 01:54 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

It's because no one individual should feel comfortable speaking for God.
I assume you're not including me in that "no one individual should feel comfortable speaking for God"
Lash

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 02:03 pm
@dyslexia,
Well, of course, God Himself is excluded from the feeble translations of us mere mortals... Cool
dyslexia

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 02:15 pm
@Lash,
good answer, you now bear my child and it will be a miracle x2.
Lash

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 02:19 pm
@Arella Mae,
I guess the thing I would say here is - even if I believed in God, and the Bible, there is so much room for interpretation that it would be ridiculous to try to speak for God - and say God did this - or I know God didn't do that. If any person actually believed that they understood the mind of God - she is tacitly saying she is on par with God... She's got his m.o. down. He's not all that complicated.

Arella Mae said, "God doesn't have us do wrong to bring about a right." Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there an episode in the Big Book, wherein it states that if God's law is against man's law, it is the responsibility of a Christian to follow God's law - in effect - commit civil disobedience? Breaking the law is considered "wrong" by a lot of well-meaning Christian people.... What if some poor little child - approaching Christianity - is being diddled by daddy every other night - and knows you to be a Christian who she respects - and hears you say, "God says...Christians never do wrong to achieve a right," and having read that 'Children are to obey their parents, ' accepts that as a good little Christian girl, she submits dutifully, rather than speaks out to get help? The responsibility to speak for God is more than you are capable of handling. I think you should stop. Forever.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 02:21 pm
@dyslexia,
wooooo hooooo!!!!! C'mere, Cowboy! Mr. Green
0 Replies