Biggest Single Dislike Of Religion?

spendius

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2010 05:04 am
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
What I am asking you is," do you know if there is a god?

No I don't and neither does anybody else.

We don't need people to behave more correctly for the better good of society. We choose it for its benefits. There are other ways of ensuring "correct behaviour".

Actually rl--your question is meaningless without defining "need", "more correctly" and "better good".

We inherited a system. It's a very complex one of interlocked interdependencies. I happen to be grateful of that inheritance and I assume others are not and wish to experiment with something novel. That's an easy thing to suggest but not at all easy to put into operation.

Atheists are having a free ride. In 7 years on these threads on the matter I have not seen one attempt to describe the system that would ensue if they won the argument nationwide. And if they don't want to win the argument nationwide they haven't a leg to stand on.

That's why I'm on their Ignore list. They don't want to face that challenge. So they are cheats. Bullies. Ridiculous.
spendius

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2010 05:57 am
@glitterbag,
You must realise gb that the bed of nails thinks of itself as being what it is and if the nails are sharp and the bed is jerking up and down on a roller-coaster it might very well think it is a wonderful bed of nails and perfectly designed to test out supplicants in the time honoured evolutionary fashion.

It has nothing to do with misogyny I'm afraid. That's just a type of make-up. A mode of escaping from critical thinking by word magic.

But, as with others on here, talking about critical thinking can easily persuade someone that they are critical thinkers. But then one is casting word magic spells on oneself don't you think?

I find that the more people talk about critical thinking the less critical thinking one can expect of them.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2010 08:35 am
@Telamon,
Quote:
The quote I gave was nothing more than an illustration of what Lash previously posted, love how some people like to jump down my throat, assuming this is my totality view on religion. And to say it has nothing to do with religion is plain ignorance. It’s also very kind of you to think of an entire “belief system” silly. Every think organized religion, as you like to say, defined itself according to non-believers? After all which came first, religion or lack thereof? Additionally, to suggest people to follow Christianity (an organized religion), is a contradiction to your original argument.

I made a remark about your post. Not assuming anything. That you think I'm jumping down your throat suggests that you are perhaps a little self absorbed in your response? It's not about you, kinslayer Wink I'm just relating to what you said.

And I do think atheism is silly. If you are claiming that there is no entity that could possibly fit the concept of "god" you are doing the same thing as those who claim with abolute certainty that there is a god; stating belief as fact.

failures art

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2010 02:29 pm
Perhaps another valid question for both believers and skeptics is "wht is your biggest single like of religion?" Why are people fond of it? I'm inclinded to believe that the largest positive feelings probably come from social elements and not the religion itself.

Thoughts?

A
R
T
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2010 02:34 pm
@failures art,
Sure, it emanates from the same basis I've said all along; children follow the religion of their parents. As they are exposed to the religion, they learn to pray which allows them the imagery of talking to some god, and they accept that it's a natural part of their life. It can provide them with security and a sense of belonging, because there are so many who believe as they do.
0 Replies

Arjuna

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2010 02:37 pm
@failures art,
That could be a "like" or a "dislike" depending...

There are situations where the social element is indistinguishable from the religion itself such as in traditional African American churches.
spendius

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2010 03:27 pm
@Arjuna,
It would be a "like" to all those who feel that a sense of security amd belonging is natural when grown up with in a similar way that one grows up with one's legs. And thus not all that conscious in the mind. Where the sense of security and belonging is located in other institutions it will be a "dislike" but not in the sense of the security and beloging but only in how it is satisfied. And will be conscious in the mind with a higher frequency.

When there is no "established" religion the forms of expression will tend to vary in the direction soft furnishings have done. Division will inevitably arise. And extremists will take advantage of the freedom to have variations. The most popular of them, heresies one might say, being those which offer a sense of security and belonging at the least possible discomfort.

Whether such fragmentation will restore Paganism is a debateable point.
reasoning logic

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2010 04:51 pm
@spendius,
If you are a religious person then these definitions are what I had in mind![Need]= the lack of something wanted [Better good] = moral righteousness; virtue: to be a power for good.
spendius

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2010 05:00 pm
@reasoning logic,
I'm sorry rl. I find those definitions incoherent
reasoning logic

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2010 05:11 pm
@spendius,
Could you please try to work with them?
There is no correct answers to my questions, I am only trying to learn other point of views other than my own! Thanks
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2010 05:58 pm
Thank you Spendius, you couldn't have given me a better answer if you stayed up all night thinking about it. I will assume you can engage in critical analysis, but if you could resist insulting every person who offers an opinion of the topic, I would be convinced. When we express ourselves online, others can not see our expression or body language and those things can greatly color how others react to our written thoughts.

I mentioned before that I don't visit very often, but I was struck with the amount of anger you seem to have especially when dealing with some posters. Maybe you and the others have a long history of hostility, I certainly don't know. Moreover, really why should I care? I just stop in every so often and see what seems interesting and usually enjoy the differing viewpoints. So when it's interesting I enjoy it, but when the school yard shenanigans start I get bored. This might sound blunt, but I find you tiresome.

We don't know how much time we have in this life, and I choose to enjoy myself and I really enjoy spirited discussion. There is nothing all that stimulating about someone pointing out how stupid everybody else is...if you like that kind of thing, watch cable news. It's on 24 hours a day.

0 Replies

Arjuna

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2010 06:42 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Whether such fragmentation will restore Paganism is a debateable point.
If it doesn't, I think I have a back-up disc.

But the more I think on it, religion is all about society. People chanting the old words together, having big meals.... So obviously what this thread has something to do with fragmentation.
0 Replies

Telamon

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2010 06:48 pm
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

because you are defining yourself according to the organized religions, even though you are doing it negatively

Cyracuz wrote:

I made a remark about your post. Not assuming anything.

Really? Because that sure looks like your assuming things to me, no?

Cyracuz wrote:

That you think I'm jumping down your throat suggests that you are perhaps a little self absorbed in your response?

I don’t like people presuming incorrect things about me, who would?

Cyracuz wrote:

It's not about you, kinslayer Wink

Been wondering when someone would point that out.

Cyracuz wrote:

And I do think atheism is silly. If you are claiming that there is no entity that could possibly fit the concept of "god" you are doing the same thing as those who claim with abolute certainty that there is a god; stating belief as fact.

I don’t know what I believe, I think of myself as agnostic but even that is sketchy.
“For a while, I thought of myself as an atheist until I realized it was a belief, too. It's a shame everything has to have a label.” ~ George Carlin

Lash

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 12:45 am
@Arella Mae,
Doesn't it give you pause to see yourself informing others what God does and doesn't do?
Cyracuz

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 08:48 am
@Telamon,
No, I am saying that if you are an atheist you are "defining yourself according to the organized religions..."
Not you personally, anyone who claims to be an atheist. You claim no deity exists, and yet you have contrasted your beliefs against the concept of a deity enough to name it "atheism", which inevitably demands the contrast of "theism" to be understood... Silly, don't you think? Wink

No, you shouldn't let people get away with assuming inacurate things about you. But that wasn't being done here, I assure you. As I said, I am trying to communicate my opinions about atheism.

I would say that if you don't know what to believe you have made good progress.
But it does perhaps suggest that it is time to examine the believer a little bit closer, rather than his beliefs?
I probably came pretty close to assuming something about you there.. Sorry Wink
Sturgis

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 09:23 am
@Chumly,
The hard wooden pews
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 09:34 am
@Cyracuz,
The only thing us atheist understand about theism is that it doesn't exist. We do not define ourselves based on any religion; for us they are foolish human organizations without much in terms of common sense or benefit to humans. When I say I'm not a member of KKK, it doesn't mean I'm defining myself in terms of that organization. It means I'm against bigotry in total.

It's more like that people of religion are the ones who tries to make comparisons, and not the other way around. Our church is the only true church of god. What a laugh!
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 09:46 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
Doesn't it give you pause to see yourself informing others what God does and doesn't do?
It should.
Arella Mae

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 09:56 am
@rosborne979,
Acording to the bible, it is not in God's character to do wrong so I am saying nothing that the bible doesn't already say. God does not have us do wrong to bring about a right.
Cyracuz

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2010 10:02 am
@Arella Mae,
So it doesn't give you pause?