29
   

Biggest Single Dislike Of Religion?

 
 
Arella Mae
 
  1  
Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 11:43 am
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

I just read a high school friend's facebook status. It reads:
Quote:
Jesus loves me I just ran a red in front of a cop and he didn't get me! Thank you lord!

There is something here that I want to put into words, but I can't quite figure out what...

A
R
The benefits of being saved: Police invisibility.

God had not a single thing to do with that person getting away with breaking the law. Though God allows things to happen He does not cause a person to sin (break the law). Unfortunately, the new age emerging church has made God out to be a genie in a bottle that is at their beck and call.
fresco
 
  2  
Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 12:42 pm
@spendius,
So if that is not your thesis, are you saying you are "a believer" in (a) a deity (b) that social discipline must be imposed and (c) the the best way of such imposition is to evoke a concept of "divine authority" ?

I. disagree with all three. My reference to other species implies "social discipline" is a "natural phenomenon" understandable perhaps by an extension of systems theory at the macro-level.
spendius
 
  0  
Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 01:37 pm
@fresco,
Quote:
are you saying you are "a believer" in (a) a deity


Gimme a break fresco. First you put words into my mouth which are not true and now you're asking daft questions. How would I know anything about a deity in the sense you mean it? It must be easy thinking where you work.

I think there's is a necessity for social discipline in any culture that goes by the name of "a civilisation". For sure. I don't believe it--it's a fact.

And I don't think divine authority is the best way to provide social discipline. Which is the best way is a matter of the circumstances. I would only argue that it is the cheapest on a bang for bucks basis and the most humane in its modern form. I'm not interested in its old fashioned forms in this context.

And it is breaking down. The question is how far to let it break down, and it is good fun I'll admit, before circumstances change enough to require building it back up again. We seem, as a collective, to be somewhere near a balance point. Those who support the religious think, possibly unconsciously, that once it falls to the breakdown side it keeps going all the way. Science making eight armed chocolate packing operatives to free up funds for more jobs in science, if you don't mind my fanciful metaphor. Some sense of the heebie-jeebies which you will know from your reading has dogged the heels of science since the beginning. Not strong. Not paranoid or anything. Just a funny sense of something Quatermassy lurking in the shadows.

It has nothing to do with other species. They **** where they are. They get eaten. I've heard that cows have social discipline but I'm not thinking along the lines of a herd of cows. As soon as they fall short of the economic milk quota they shoot them and can them. And I'm surprised an English gentleman would even hint at such a thing never mind suggest it. What about the dung beetle? That's seriously discplined.

When power is sought only absolute power satisfies. Hey--that's as good as Lord Acton's remark. Better, now I think about it. Greatness should be thrust upon one. the Science/Philosophy/The Paperwork Party/The Lower Middle Class/Mass Media coalition envies the power of the Church. It will envy it until the Church has been stripped of all power. Not just some of it. It wants all power. And what it has won since the so called Age of Enlightenment is the battlefield of its internal power struggles which we like to think are neatly balanced.

I know it isn't true in your case fresco but I often wonder if the wizard sophistry of the anti-religious first took flight on the back row of a cinema or in a bathing hut at Bognor Regis.
hingehead
 
  2  
Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 03:02 pm
Dang, christians found this thread. You'd think even they would have a dislike of religion like , I don't know, multiarmed god images from Hindus, or west facing mat kissing from muslims. But no, they think they can convince you by telling you that your opinions are shite. How dare we be subjective.

But no, feel free to dismiss the life experiences that have forged our souls, you do after all, have access to real truth.
cicerone imposter
 
  1  
Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 03:08 pm
@spendius,
spendi, You as a christian should not lie. I have never said I have the bible on "Ignore." You're a goddam liar, and your religion has you confused about right and wrong.
spendius
 
  1  
Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 03:24 pm
@hingehead,
One might imagine a muslim facing west taking advantage of kissing the mat to mutter quietly to his mate "They think they can convince you by telling you that your opinions are shite. How dare we be subjective."

One might have thought the multi-armed Goddesses were of more interest. Staying out of range of a multi-armed God is easy enough.

I think it's reasonable to expect Christians to come on a thread like this to see if any of the dislikes are credible enough to tempt them with an intellectual reason to start drifting away from their faith and the discplines it imposes. Or tries to.
0 Replies
 
spendius
 
  1  
Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 03:29 pm
@cicerone imposter,
You said it the other day. You said you ignored the Bible. You haven't read it. So why spout about it? That bigotry. Most people haven't read it. It's nothing out of the ordinary. But when you spout about it and denigrate it without having read it you're a dyed-in-the-wool bigot.
reasoning logic
 
  1  
Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 03:53 pm
@spendius,
It is hard for me to follow you spedius, are you saying that God is not real but we need to give the illusion so that the mass will know how to behave?
spendius
 
  1  
Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 04:31 pm
@reasoning logic,
What's it worth to you rl for everybody to behave decorously and with respectable etiquette? Do illusions bother you that much?

You should stay away from movies mate if they do. Especially the ones on The News when the trousers are pulled up properly.
cicerone imposter
 
  1  
Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 04:47 pm
@spendius,
spendi, Your logic gets lost in your own muck. When I "quote" something or refute something from the bible, you're supposed to tell me why my opinion concerning it is wrong rather than the global "why spout about it?"

Pemerson
 
  1  
Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 04:58 pm
@kuvasz,
kuvasz wrote:

The problem of religions is that the followers often mistake the connotation..... the spirit of the word, and the denotation..... meaning it is a hard fact. This is the basis for the Christian church... the historical Jesus. But his words, even in the gospel of Thomas have to be seen as their connotation... the spirit of the meaning... and the pointing of a way to lead a good life and to seek the transcendent.

This was and is the religious part of the message, a way to a truly religious or transcendent experience.

In other words, I don't have to travel to Jerusalem to visit the Holy Land, because the Holy Land resides inside of me.


How very true. I tire of discussions on religion. People can do what they damn well please. Go to church, not go to church, be religious, not be religious. We need religion as long as we need religion. After awhile, though, what are we searching for? A way to a truly religious or transcendent experience. What else?
0 Replies
 
spendius
 
  1  
Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 05:18 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I'm not arguing about it ci. If you haven't read the Bible you are in no position to spout about it.

Your opinion on the stoning of homosexuals is wrong because they stoned every ****** they didn't like. Why they didn't like homosexuals is not for me to say.

And further than that--to say homosexuals should be stoned doesn't mean anybody was stoned. It might just have been a threat sufficient to drive all the men into the arms of the women which is necessary to make the country grow. Like Bob Dylan says somewhere.

The route to extinction is obvious to anybody who knows about the birds and the bees. And 9/11 was nowhere near threatening extinction. The arms of women being well known as a bed of nails.

Does that explain why you doing the parrot trick with stuff from your side's propaganda, which you are known to lap up for obvious reasons, without reading the book, is bigotry. Nay--studying the book as a lot of people spend their whole lives doing. There are "Biblical scholars" all over the place. Professionals. Do you think they are all mad on the basis that you haven't looked into what you're spouting about?
cicerone imposter
 
  1  
Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 05:58 pm
@spendius,
spendi wrote:
Quote:
If you haven't read the Bible you are in no position to spout about it.


So, what makes you think I never read the bible? Our mother and all my siblings are christians since we were young children. I'm the only atheist in the family.

Your conclusions are usually wrong, and you're wrong again.
reasoning logic
 
  1  
Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 06:07 pm
@spendius,
I am not saying that people do not need to be shown how to behave, What I am asking you is," do you know if there is a god? or maybe you do not know for certain.
When I say [God] what I am referring to is one who created every thing and I mean it literally.

If you think that there is not a God or you are not sure do you think that we need to tell people there is so that they may behave more correctly for the better good of society.
I would like to know your view point on God! Thanks RSL
glitterbag
 
  1  
Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 08:19 pm
"The arms of women being well known as a bed of nails."

Wow that made me sit up and take notice. Originally I just thought the poster was a little cranky and annoyed/fueding with CI. Who knows, maybe missed his nap, but that line is very telling. I sincerely hope that the poster doesn't think misogyny is a religion or a rational view of life. And before anyone asks how a nice lady like myself ever learned a big word like that...lets just say I paid attention during my education.

Cheap shots by women at men in general or cheap shots by men at women in general I believe indicates a person who is unfamiliar with the idea of critical thinking..maybe even thinking for themselves. In a totally candid mood I would describe that behaviour in a much stonger fashion, but the first sentance will do for this thread.

There really is a big difference between organized religion and personal faith. We were required to take at least 2 semesters of comparative religion just in high school. It might be a good idea for all of our children to at least get a basic understanding of all the world's religion. These classes are not religious instruction or trying to recruit, but it can debunk some of the more egregious misunderstandings and baseless invalidation of different faiths.

Telamon
 
  1  
Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 10:12 pm
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

Quote:
“Hindus, Muslims, Jews, Christians, all taking turns killing each other because God told them it was a good idea. The sword of God, the blood of the lamb, vengeance is mine, millions of dead m************, all because they gave the wrong answer to the God question: "Do you believe in God?" "No." Boom! Dead. "Do you believe in God?" "Yes..." "Do you believe in my God?" "No." Boom! Dead. "My god has a bigger dick than your god!"'- George Carlin

This quote sums that up I think.


But all this has nothing to do with religion. Religion is the individual search for identity, understanding and peace of mind. That is why I think atheism is so silly, because you are defining yourself according to the organized religions, even though you are doing it negatively. It's the same with satanists, who become angry when I suggest they follow christianity...
But it is inevitable for a human being to practice religion. What you refer to is organized religion, but that isn't really religion at all. It is a political phenomenon, one that contradicts itself.


The quote I gave was nothing more than an illustration of what Lash previously posted, love how some people like to jump down my throat, assuming this is my totality view on religion. And to say it has nothing to do with religion is plain ignorance. It’s also very kind of you to think of an entire “belief system” silly. Every think organized religion, as you like to say, defined itself according to non-believers? After all which came first, religion or lack thereof? Additionally, to suggest people to follow Christianity (an organized religion), is a contradiction to your original argument.
Telamon
 
  1  
Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 10:24 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:
But all this has nothing to do with religion.


But, Cyr, Telamon needs it to have everything to do with religion. Telamon's non-sequitur is the foundation of his thinking. Take it away and he's nowhere. Telamon does not need to consider what the peoples he mentions, as labels, would have done with no religions.

First, please refer to my reply to Cyracuz (shortly above this post if not directly after), some of that can be directed towards your flawed and antagonistic statement. To say there would be no war, no conflict, no quarrel in the world and its history without religion is an understatement to say the least. The quotation was given only to exemplify how much destruction religion has caused due to its existence single-handedly.
0 Replies
 
ossobuco
 
  1  
Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 10:46 pm
I am generally fine with what people take up re spirituality or religion.

I figure they'll know each other out.
0 Replies
 
failures art
 
  1  
Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2010 03:55 am
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:

failures art wrote:

I just read a high school friend's facebook status. It reads:
Quote:
Jesus loves me I just ran a red in front of a cop and he didn't get me! Thank you lord!

There is something here that I want to put into words, but I can't quite figure out what...

A
R
The benefits of being saved: Police invisibility.

God had not a single thing to do with that person getting away with breaking the law. Though God allows things to happen He does not cause a person to sin (break the law). Unfortunately, the new age emerging church has made God out to be a genie in a bottle that is at their beck and call.

This is not new at all.

A
R
T
0 Replies
 
spendius
 
  1  
Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2010 04:38 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
So, what makes you think I never read the bible?


Your post a few days ago saying that you ignored the Bible. Up to that point I had no direct evidence of your unfamiliarity with it. I never thought you had mind you but I wasn't going to say so despite it been pretty obvious from the parroted tripe you have said about it.

I'm not wrong at all. You said it.
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

 
Copyright © 2022 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 06/28/2022 at 04:00:20