Biggest Single Dislike Of Religion?

Mercer

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2010 07:00 pm
@Chumly,
elitism.
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2010 07:09 pm
Some religions insist on taking a good amount of your money when they already have a lot of gold ornaments etc.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2010 07:22 pm
@Caroline,
Most religions build beautiful churches/temples/mosques in the praise of their god while the majority in their community lacks shelter and food.
Caroline

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2010 07:24 pm
@cicerone imposter,
That's exactly what I'm on about. Thanks.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2010 08:25 pm
@Caroline,
A lot of Catholics when they visit the Vatican say, "why?" Most come from very poor countries.
Caroline

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2010 08:30 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I can imagine. Sometimes some religions are more about wealth and power than seeking spiritual guidance.
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2010 08:50 pm
I just read a high school friend's facebook status. It reads:
Quote:
Jesus loves me I just ran a red in front of a cop and he didn't get me! Thank you lord!

There is something here that I want to put into words, but I can't quite figure out what...

A
R
The benefits of being saved: Police invisibility.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2010 08:57 pm
@failures art,
Perhaps Satan caused the police officer temporary blindness so that this facebook friend would continue running lights on a cocky high of sorts then one day he/she will run one too many red lights and crash into Jesus' station wagon and killing him and his holier then thou k-9 buddy cop named Hooch.
0 Replies

Telamon

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2010 11:39 pm
@Chumly,
My biggest single dislike of religion is its survival through the decades.
fresco

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 02:34 am
@Telamon,
Unfortunately, "religion" (theistic or otherwise) is likely to continue to survive because it fulfils various social and psychological needs of homo sapiens. Despite its various claims for "universal love" (offered as an intellectual justification ?), it de facto reifies the tribal and chauvinistic tendencies observed in other primates, and constitutes a" catch-all solution" for the ultimate failure of the specifically human cognitive quest to predict and control "existence".
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 09:37 am
@fresco,
That's the same way I see religion (all religions). It's a need by humans that goes beyond common sense and logic, but survives none-the-less. One must believe that at one time in human history, about two thousand years ago, lived a god amongst humans who performed miracles, and "drifted up to heaven" after he was pronounced dead.

Religion will survive, because we know for a fact that the majority on this planet pray every day to their god for one favor or another, and to bless their food before they eat it. That doesn't answer the basic question of why so many humans suffer from starvation and lack clean drinking water.

"God so loved the world....."
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 11:26 am
As a late comer to this thread who hasn't read a single thread and just wanted to announce to the world what my biggest single dislike of religion is.
It is the fact that it has been usurped, altered, raped and abused by earthly men with dirty motives.

Carry on Wink
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 12:08 pm
@Cyracuz,
Welcome to A2K. There are lots of interesting people here---except for the idiots.

BBB
Cyracuz

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 01:22 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Thanks BBB. But I joined a2k in.. think it was 2004... Smile
Meant to say I hadn't read a single post in this thread.
0 Replies

Telamon

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 04:57 pm
@fresco,
I agree with you and cicerone imposter on that point, still doesn’t mean I like it.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 05:14 pm
@fresco,
Quote:
Unfortunately, "religion" (theistic or otherwise) is likely to continue to survive because it fulfils various social and psychological needs of homo sapiens. Despite its various claims for "universal love" (offered as an intellectual justification ?), it de facto reifies the tribal and chauvinistic tendencies observed in other primates, and constitutes a" catch-all solution" for the ultimate failure of the specifically human cognitive quest to predict and control "existence".

So how are your various social and psychological needs catered for fresco? I assume you're a fairly typical example of homo sapiens.
reasoning logic

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 05:20 pm
@spendius,
It sure would be nice to hear your view point on religion Spendius as I value your input, and if anyone wonders if I am being sarcastic no I am not. I am only learning other view points other than my own.
spendius

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 05:23 pm
@reasoning logic,
I think religion is a good thing.
reasoning logic

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 05:32 pm
@spendius,
Thank you spendius for your input. I will try and think longer and harder about what you post as I find that I could have been thinking wrong about you.
I find that I can interpret what people are trying convey wrongfully. Not that I will agree with all of your opinions, "but did any of the great philosophers agree on every thing? No!
Not that I am a great philosopher
0 Replies

Telamon

Reply Mon 30 Aug, 2010 05:34 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

I think religion is a good thing.

Religion is the number one cause of death since our beginning, sounds really good…