Biggest Single Dislike Of Religion?

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 10:48 am
@Khethil,
Well said, but there's more. Most people who believe in the religion or god learn to discriminate against their fellow humans, because it says so in the "holy book."

I saw this hypocrisy early in my life when our mother converted to christianity from buddhism. All my siblings are christians married to christians. I married a buddhist, and notice when I watch our wedding video pictures, my mother didn't smile once sitting at the front table of our reception.

How sad; christianity doesn't teach humility.
spendius

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 12:06 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Most people who believe in the religion or god learn to discriminate against their fellow humans, because it says so in the "holy book."

You don't think there might be a possibilty, however slight, that those discriminated against deserve it. Do you think that if the holy book was Orwelled discrimination would disappear. What a fool you are ci. And doubly so for thinking we are as you must do to try and get such inane, self-serving, teleologies past our guard.

And why do you keep going on about the Bible when you have admitted having it on Ignore? That's ignorant, stupid and the polar opposite of humble.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 12:16 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
my mother didn't smile once sitting at the front table of our reception.

How sad; christianity doesn't teach humility.

I'm not kidding ci. when I say that if I was a moderator I would ban you. You can't stop. You won't be told one single solitary thing. On and on you go with the same insulting crap year after year.

You can't draw conclusions about a 2000 year old culture wide way of thinking embracing a few billion people, with a track record so fantastic that it's ridiculous, on the basis of your mother not smiling when you thought she should have done. She might have had toothache.

And as for humility--forget it. You haven't a jot of it. You just talk about it like you do about critical thinking as alternatives. Watching your wedding videos is clear proof of your chronic narcissism. You might believe in word magic of that infantile nature but I don't and I hope nobody else does.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 01:38 pm
Did somebody pee in Splendius' Wheaties this morning? I have been a member for many years but I don't often have the time to strole thru the forums...so perhaps this is some sort of feud that I missed? I think I remember why I don't visit too often or stay too long.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 02:16 pm
@glitterbag,
No, his friends at the pub pee in his beer, and smile along with him.
spendius

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 03:29 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
I think I remember why I don't visit too often or stay too long.

It's a free country gb. Drop in any time you feel like it. Which, I suppose, will be when you get bored with whatever you do do. What was it that triggered you calling in and granting us this rare privilege of reading your thoughts and for which, and I'm sure I speak for the others, I am very grateful.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 03:31 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Are you not allowed in pubs ci?
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 03:32 pm
@spendius,
Not the one pub in this world where you frequent.
spendius

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 05:12 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I presume that means you are not allowed in pubs.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 05:37 pm
@spendius,
Are you really that dumb? But I repeat myself!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 06:02 pm
I think the biggest problem I have with religion is many of them instruct devotees not to think. I believe a deep fear of the unknown causes some people to grasp on to a plausible explanation of why we're here and what happens next that soothes them into complacency. Of course, it only remains plausible if they abide by Rule #1.

The exclusivity is another thing. If you don't believe like me, you're going to Hell...and I want to expedite your trip...
Telamon

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 07:28 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

The exclusivity is another thing. If you don't believe like me, you're going to Hell...and I want to expedite your trip...

“Hindus, Muslims, Jews, Christians, all taking turns killing each other because God told them it was a good idea. The sword of God, the blood of the lamb, vengeance is mine, millions of dead m************, all because they gave the wrong answer to the God question: "Do you believe in God?" "No." Boom! Dead. "Do you believe in God?" "Yes..." "Do you believe in my God?" "No." Boom! Dead. "My god has a bigger dick than your god!"'- George Carlin

This quote sums that up I think.
reasoning logic

Reply Tue 31 Aug, 2010 07:48 pm
@Chumly,
Same as yours!
We are all vulnerable to the psychological problem
spendius

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 05:42 am
@reasoning logic,
We've all agreed in my corner of the pub that if we are shown the red hot poker we will convert to any damn thing at all.

The dislike fraternity are simply expressing a comfortable existence choosing whichever menu of ethical position suits them at the moment. If we all did that they might not have the choices and thus their dislikes are aspects of precious, thrumming self-indulgence having a free ride on the back of the discipline of the majority.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 06:06 am
@Telamon,
Quote:
“Hindus, Muslims, Jews, Christians, all taking turns killing each other because God told them it was a good idea. The sword of God, the blood of the lamb, vengeance is mine, millions of dead m************, all because they gave the wrong answer to the God question: "Do you believe in God?" "No." Boom! Dead. "Do you believe in God?" "Yes..." "Do you believe in my God?" "No." Boom! Dead. "My god has a bigger dick than your god!"'- George Carlin

This quote sums that up I think.

But all this has nothing to do with religion. Religion is the individual search for identity, understanding and peace of mind. That is why I think atheism is so silly, because you are defining yourself according to the organized religions, even though you are doing it negatively. It's the same with satanists, who become angry when I suggest they follow christianity...
But it is inevitable for a human being to practice religion. What you refer to is organized religion, but that isn't really religion at all. It is a political phenomenon, one that contradicts itself.
spendius

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 06:23 am
@Cyracuz,
Quote:
But all this has nothing to do with religion.

But, Cyr, Telamon needs it to have everything to do with religion. Telamon's non-sequitur is the foundation of his thinking. Take it away and he's nowhere. Telamon does not need to consider what the peoples he mentions, as labels, would have done with no religions.
fresco

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 08:20 am
@spendius,
Spendi's ridiculosly simplistic thesis is that "social discipline" equates to "religiosity". But whether or not we believe in Dawkins' genetic explanations of "morality" and "altruism" we cannot ignore the fact that non-human species also operate according to "social rules" presumably without the need for a mythical substrate on which to base them. All this "free ride" talk is self justificatory back slapping by those waiting for that "judgement day" which will be one in the eye for us heathens (they hope).
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 09:43 am
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:
Quote:
Religion is the individual search for identity, understanding and peace of mind.

It is not a "search" for anything. Religion is based on the culture in which one is born and raised. It's essentially an accident of birth, because the majority follow the religion of one's parents.

Atheists have "searched" for truth, and found that religion is a hoax. Religion has never improved the human lot, even though they claim moral superiority.

The bible is rife with errors, omissions, and conflict of messages. How anyone can reconcile these "god's words" as a perfect message doesn't know how to rationalize our reality.

There is no proof of any god, but we are learning more about where humans originated on this planet, and how migration of our species created the cultures we now call "race." These facts are our reality.
spendius

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 11:27 am
@fresco,
Quote:
Spendi's ridiculosly simplistic thesis is that "social discipline" equates to "religiosity".

That's ridiculous. That is not my thesis at all. My thesis is that social discipline is necessary and that it is a nasty business given our non-human inheritance. I think religion is the best method of trying to impose it and especially regarding those areas where the law daren't set its foot. I have never said it is the only way.

How would you impose social discipline fresco?

And try not to speak on my behalf eh?
spendius

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2010 11:35 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
The bible is rife with errors, omissions, and conflict of messages.

How do you know ci.? You have admitted having the Bible on Ignore. And I readily believe you.

The hallmark of the dyed in the wool bigot is pontificating pompously on a matter you know nothing about.

The Bible is a magnificent work of literary art. The most magnificent in recorded history. Only Shakespeare's Complete Works comes within touching distance.

fresco must love being in the same pen with you.