Because they were women

caramel

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 11:19 am
Montreal Massacre quietly remembered

CTV.ca News Staff

There will be solemn services across Canada today to mark the 14th anniversary of the Montreal massacre, Canada's worst mass shooting.

On Dec. 6, 1989, Marc Lepine shot 27 female engineering students at the Ecole Polytechnique in Montreal, killing 14 of the accomplished women, before fatally shooting himself. In a note he left behind, Lepine said he was committing suicide "not for economic reasons...but for political reasons," saying feminists had ruined his life.

Candlelight vigils, memorial services, and discussions will be held at sex assault centres and women's shelters across Canada today. In Montreal, Choeur Maha, a 25-woman choir, will sing to honour the victims.

"Much has changed since that tragic day in 1989 to help put an end to violence against women and girls in Canada and around the world," Jean Augustine, Secretary of State for Multiculturalism and the Status of Women said in a statement.

"Yet, despite efforts from various organizations and governments, there still remains much more to be done as many women and girls still live daily with the threat of violence. All Canadians must continue to remember and take action, not only on this day but every day of the year."

The mass murder prompted tighter gun laws, which included the creation of the controversial national firearms registry.

It also prompted Parliament to create the National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence against Women in 1991, to coincide with the anniversary of the tragedy.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1070722481675_115/?hub=Canada
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 965 • Replies: 8
No top replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 11:54 am
It was a truly awful occurance; when people are not aware of the need of feminism, that is when feminism is needed the most. Why did so much hatred have to be directed towards women?

It is a shame that this world has to be so full of lunatics and killers...Lord bless those girls.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 03:05 pm
How very sad. I wasn't in Canada back then and this is the first I hear of this. It's scary to know that just one person did this :-(
0 Replies

caramel

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 03:17 pm
Montana wrote:
How very sad. I wasn't in Canada back then and this is the first I hear of this. It's scary to know that just one person did this :-(

You can read a more detailled account of what happen on that horrific day. Crying or Very sad

http://www.gendercide.org/case_montreal.html
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 03:32 pm
Thanks for the link Caramel. What a shocking story and so sad.
0 Replies

froggy

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 03:45 pm
I appreciate dròm_et_rêve's comments. It is truly a tragedy that there is any hatred in the world fierce enough to cause people to randomly destroy the lives of innocent people. I am disturbed and saddened whether the reasons for hatred are based upon gender, religion, ethnicity or nationality...all things we are born to and have not chosen. We are all unique and precious to someone.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 04:58 pm
caramel, thanks for the post. I happened to be in Montreal when this occured. I had a date planned the night it happened actually, but she was a student journalist who happened to be down at U of M covering the tragedy. We were back and forth on the phone during the entire thing. It was a true horror to hear it unfolding. Peace to all creatures, and may we continue to grow as a human race.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 04:59 pm
Amen....
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 05:00 pm
cavfancier wrote:
caramel, thanks for the post. I happened to be in Montreal when this occured. I had a date planned the night it happened actually, but she was a student journalist who happened to be down at U of M covering the tragedy. We were back and forth on the phone during the entire thing. It was a true horror to hear it unfolding. Peace to all creatures, and may we continue to grow as a human race.

I agree wholeheartedly with what you're saying... and I'm glad you and the girl got out alright, selfish though it may be as a sentiment.
0 Replies