California Taliban: No bare shoulders in the Assembly

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 10:59 am
Will they require that women wear burqas over their gownless evening straps?---BBB

August 26, 2010
California Taliban: No bare shoulders in the Assembly
By Jim Sanders | Sacramento Bee

SACRAMENTO — Bad news for bare shoulders.

While mercury soared to triple digits Wednesday, Assembly sergeants-at-arms began notifying women that a new policy requires them to wear a coat or sweater to enter the chamber.

The new policy is squishy, unwritten and still developing, but the goal is to fill in the gaps of a longstanding rule requiring visitors, credentialed media and legislative aides to wear "appropriate business attire" on the Assembly floor.

"This is the chamber of the Assembly, this isn't a barn," said Ronald Pane, Assembly sergeant-at-arms.

For years, Assembly guards had not rigidly enforced the "business attire" rule, but Majority Leader Charles Calderon, D-Whittier, recently began a push to spruce up decorum in the 80-member lower house.

A recent memo by Calderon, Assembly Speaker John A. Pérez and other Democratic and Republican leaders specified that appropriate attire for men is a coat and tie.

No specifics were given for women — until Wednesday.

Pane said appropriate business attire for women should mirror that of elected assemblywomen, which he characterized as basically including a coat or sweater, with some discretion for alternative business wear.

Pane said Assembly guards were not turning women away Wednesday but were notifying them of the new standard.

One woman who sought entrance Wednesday and was informed by an Assembly guard about the new policy complied by putting on a men's coat that hung several inches below her fingertips.

Tony Beard, Senate sergeant-at-arms, said the upper house also has a "business attire" rule. It requires men to wear a coat and tie, but does not specify what women must wear, he said.

Assemblywoman Lori Saldana pointed out that short sleeves, cap sleeves and scoop necks have become the norm in women's professional attire trends. The San Diego Democrat said female lawmakers already conform to an unwritten agreement to avoid sleeveless dresses and tops.

"I'm old enough to remember when I had to wear a dress to school," Saldana said, "so when I heard this could be happening again my response was, 'Do we have to break out the burqas?' "

Calderon said that an Assembly dress code is appropriate – "women should look at how members are dressed on the floor and use that as a guide" – but that he has not specifically banned bare-shouldered female visitors or aides.

"No, I think it could be a blouse," Calderon said. "But it ought to be something that's more dress (up) than not. It's a judgment call, but we want the overall image of the floor to reflect the members – and we want it to reflect professionalism."

Despite its amorphous nature, Saldana said members and staff already adhere to the spirit of the dress code while wearing a variety of styles.

"I think the men and women who work in the building are professional and they dress appropriately," said Saldana. On Wednesday, she wore a patterned green long-sleeved blouse and white pants she said she purchased specifically to wear during Sacramento's stifling summers.

Assemblywoman Connie Conway, R-Tulare, said she was not aware of any formal rule about what she can or can't wear on the floor, but she had a good reason for wearing a coat.

Despite the heat wave, temperatures in the air-conditioned Assembly chambers were pretty cold, she said.

Read more: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2010/08/26/99688/california-taliban-no-bare-shoulders.html#ixzz0xjRUDfmX
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 578 • Replies: 8
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 12:06 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
just another example of the idiots that call california home.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 12:07 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
This is pure stupidity! It was 108 degrees in Sacramento yesterday.

These folks are idiots!
dyslexia

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 12:07 pm
@Butrflynet,
well, yeah.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 12:58 pm
@Butrflynet,
At least it's equal opportunity idiocy. Coats and ties for men?
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 01:40 pm
@engineer,
The idiocy comes in to play when they are having to spend gobs of money keeping the building super cold in a 100+ degree heatwave to accommodate both the men's and women's comfort while complying with the archaic standard of dress code and the newly concerted efforts to enforce that standard. This is going on while laying off hundreds of thousands of workers and fighting the ongoing battle to balance the budget.

What's wrong with this picture?
Miller

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 08:47 pm
The " business attire" rule also applies to the Courts.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2010 09:26 pm
@Butrflynet,
I read it as about what the observers wore - as the women in the Assembly already have their own moderately businesslike attire. I forget where I read it, the Bee, the San Jose paper, or the Chronicle.

I don't think observers should be held to the same standards as the members, myself, though I'm not sure where I'd draw a line re appropriate clothing.

I read that it is cold in the chambers - I haven't been in the assembly, but have had a friend who was an assemblywoman and visited her office in the hot summer, I think at least twice - I don't remember it as cold there.. nor extremely warm. To be sure of when I was there, I'd have to drag out papers and check the dates and the weather at the time - I'm just saying re my memory. Maybe they keep the Assembly nice as crispy so people won't all fall asleep.......
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2010 09:10 am
Stupidity seems to be the norm for ALL our politicians!
0 Replies