Restaurant patron ethics, on the part of the seated

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 08:49 pm
Despite my bitchy exterior, I am usually not obnoxious in restaurants. Years go by between episodes of even minor furor. Say, five years..

I have questions on the other side, when a restaurant seems at a glance, or more than a glance, to be trying, re what to say to them.
Diane and I have considered having lunch at a cafe for months, but as it worked out, we haven't until today. We were both attracted to it. A non chain.
Not very busy. Menu interesting. Fragile seeming waiter (waitress, is that a word now?)

By their menu, they are working at it. The waiter told us about their roasting their own turkey (did I hear that right?) Maybe they heat the bulb from the meat purveyors. I don't think the waiter knows about real roasts, and that is not knocking her.

Diane's meal was delicious. Mine was the worst hamburger in quite a while, near burned on the bottom, well done and beyond, when I'd asked for medium rare, but also observable as a corporate meat patty.

But the burger was in a really good bun. Good, but dense. Impossible to eat with a hamburger, but seemed a real bun. A totally plain lukewarm dense bun.
Still, it came with a roasted red pepper, and some sliced red onions, and a peperoncini. And the fries were good. The fat kind, but cooked well, good spicing.

Meantime, I'd seen a disabled person beyond the kitchen door, figured it was the waiter's father, the cook. But per Diane's questions (we have different roles, I'm the bitch, she questions) it isn't a family place.
The waiter responds to Diane on how they plan to stay for a long time.

We both like this place. Apparently they bring stuff in from local good bakeries in the morning.

So........... the question. Should have I conveyed my opinions?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 11 • Views: 2,549 • Replies: 35

roger

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 09:12 pm
@ossobuco,
Well, what was your opinion.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 09:23 pm
@roger,
I think that these folks can't be helped fast enough.. Plus, they are learning in a poor climate. Breaks my heart, however much I didn't like my burger.

ossobuco

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 09:37 pm
@ossobuco,
One of my favorite restaurants ever was a tiny place on 1st (I think) in LA in the seventies, Ishi's. Few seats, great exploratory food (back then), it disappeared quickly. That may even have been the meal (which I don't remember at all) that woke me up.

I don't want every restaurant to be a mecca of food science, which doesn't interest me anyway.
I would like more restaurants to not purvey conglomerated phlegm.
This one I'm talking about is trying, even though I knock them silly with talking about my meal.

roger

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 09:42 pm
@ossobuco,
I wish the luck, both with the business and the hamburger.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 09:47 pm
Sure! Why not tell them your opinion! How can they improve if they don't know there's a problem?!

Be sure the criticism is balanced, though. You DID like the bun and the roasted pepper and stuff. It was just the meat that was cooked badly.

In other words, say it with a smile.

ossobuco

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 09:55 pm
@ossobuco,
Oh, wait. There could be good advice, if they would be willing to take it.

Sorry I was so neg on that post.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 10:05 pm
@Eva,
I would like the bun if it were thin sliced for a small sandwich or bruschetta. It was impossible for a burger. Concrete with mortar on top, given the dead burger (hi, Roger, but even you wouldn't have liked it).

I know I'm talking like a brat, but these people aren't ready and don't know it.
I sympathize with this, that's the problem.
Intrepid

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 03:14 am
@ossobuco,
When I am in a restaurant, the waiter/waitress usually asks things such as: "How is everything?"; "Is everything ok today?"

I tell them.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 04:22 am
@ossobuco,
You can't be the only customer who had problems with their meal. A little constructive criticism can help them from floundering.

Perhaps starting with ... "Maybe next time could you...."

I know I fall under the passive aggressive noncomplainer type and if I have a bad meal I usually never return to the place. So it's kind of a lose/lose.

I suppose if you show genuine support and concern along with your constructive criticism, if the waitress and cook are open minded towards self improvement then it could be a win/win for both of you if you return.
Linkat

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 10:37 am
@ossobuco,
Well yeah - how the heck can they make improvements without any feedback. Tell them what was done really well and what s*cked.
Linkat

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 10:39 am
@Linkat,
Most places that are really trying would love to have this sort of input.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 10:52 am

Osso, I 'm very perplexed qua Y u did not send back the bad burger,
or just buy another one, explaining how u require it ???

For sure, I woud have.

U did not actually eat that thing ??????? right ?
I 'm sure that there must have been better places to DUMP it than your mouth.

David
chai2

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 11:12 am
yeah, what's the big deal?

tell them the burger was overcooked and ask for another.

case closed.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 12:22 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Ordinarily I would have sent the burger back, but, as I mentioned, the waitress seemed.. emotionally fragile. Plus, it had taken a long time to get the food in the first place. She did ask how everything was, which brings up another of my personal gripes - I hate being asked that when I am busy chewing. I prevaricated and said fine, avoiding telling her.

David, I didn't eat the bun, and ate the burger slowly with knife and fork, as I was hungry.

Odd situation. I am usually not wimpy like this. There was an aura of a place on the edge, which I probably got from the waitress' manner in the first place, and I proceeded to try not to hurt her/them with negative remarks. Which - I'm obviously now questioning.

Meantime, Diane loved her salad and her sandwich, which was on pita bread. I went with the flow and let my negative stuff go, at least re the waitress.
Intrepid

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 12:27 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Ordinarily I would have sent the burger back, but, as I mentioned, the waitress seemed.. emotionally fragile.

If the waitress was emotionally frail, perhaps she is in the wrong profession. I venture that others would not be so easy on her frailty.

She will be fodder for the next person who may not handle it with the same empathy that you probably would have if you had pointed out the dissatisfaction.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 12:33 pm
@Intrepid,
I can easily picture that.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 01:04 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
Ordinarily I would have sent the burger back, but, as I mentioned, the waitress seemed.. emotionally fragile. Plus, it had taken a long time to get the food in the first place. She did ask how everything was, which brings up another of my personal gripes - I hate being asked that when I am busy chewing. I prevaricated and said fine, avoiding telling her.

David, I didn't eat the bun, and ate the burger slowly with knife and fork, as I was hungry.

Odd situation. I am usually not wimpy like this. There was an aura of a place on the edge, which I probably got from the waitress' manner in the first place, and I proceeded to try not to hurt her/them with negative remarks. Which - I'm obviously now questioning.

Meantime, Diane loved her salad and her sandwich, which was on pita bread. I went with the flow and let my negative stuff go, at least re the waitress.
I 'm glad that I was not there to witness u eating that. I feel for u, Osso.

Lemme say this:
If I were in that situation, appreciating the waitress'
(that has been a word thru out the 20th Century, as far as I know)
frailty, I simply woud have been very soft, gentle, sweet and nice
in either sending back the bad burger, or just buying a new one,
after clearly but gently explaining my personal taste in burgers.

I remember going thru that situation with legal secretaries
( b4 the days of computers with word processing programs)
who broke down in tears when I had them re-write their
stenografy, after having corrected their spelling errors
(b4 I went fonetic).

It was hard, but I was not going to sign my name to garbage.

David
ossobuco

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 01:09 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Female actors seem to prefer to be called actors instead of actresses now, and I was wondering if the same is true of females who wait on tables, that they prefer to be called waiters instead of waitresses.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2010 01:15 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
Female actors seem to prefer to be called actors instead of actresses now, and I was wondering if the same is true of females who wait on tables, that they prefer to be called waiters instead of waitresses.
On planes, I still call them stewardesses; either that or MISS . . . ????
0 Replies