Wont turn over

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 06:49 am
I just dumped my very last bit of money , quarters from the ashtray kind of collection, into an alternator.

The car still wont turn over.

Im in a tad of a panic mode because at this time I cant do anything anyway. 28.00 in my checking and no car.

*insert the biggest screamingest sigh right here*

anyway..

All lights come on, radio works, no ticking as if the batter were dead, but no turning over. After it sits a while it MIGHT turn over.
Battery seems to be fine.. but I am not sure. It may just be dying, its almost 3 years old.

I was able to push start it before, I dont think I can do that now.

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 12 • Views: 4,866 • Replies: 41
No top replies

Mame

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 07:10 am
Does it start with a jump? If you can get it going, you really should take it in for a diagnostic test; that should tell you what's wrong with it.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 07:21 am
a jump doesnt do it either.
Put a portable battery pack on it and didnt fix it.
My battery is a bit low, but not low enough to be causing this. Im thinking it may be the starter.

It will get a full diagnostic today because there is no real answer.

Once it starts, it runs fine.
It first died on me in Colombus, about 1:30 drive from here. So it doesnt lose any power or anything while working.. just wont get going. It drove all the way home , no issue. Got it to the shop, got the alternator changed the next day ( yesterday) Still doing the same thing..
Mame

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 07:39 am
@shewolfnm,
If you can take it back there, maybe they will refund you for the alternator since that didn't fix the problem and see about the starter. But... that sounds weird. You know what I always do? I phone 3 repair shops and tell each of them the problem and ask what it might be. You get a pretty good consensus that way. Then I call a fourth and tell them what I think the problem is (heh heh) and I don't sound like such a rube and they deal more intelligently (respectfully) with me and I'm not as likely to get ripped off.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 07:41 am
@shewolfnm,
shewolfnm wrote:

a jump doesnt do it either.
Put a portable battery pack on it and didnt fix it.
My battery is a bit low, but not low enough to be causing this. Im thinking it may be the starter.

It will get a full diagnostic today because there is no real answer.

Once it starts, it runs fine.
It first died on me in Colombus, about 1:30 drive from here. So it doesnt lose any power or anything while working.. just wont get going. It drove all the way home , no issue. Got it to the shop, got the alternator changed the next day ( yesterday) Still doing the same thing..

Who said to change the alternator... Sounds like a starter all along... Has it got oil in it??? You should not push start modern cars... It messes with the computers and hei ignition
shewolfnm

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 07:43 am
@Fido,
the first diagnostic done by auto zone said it was the alternator.
Thats why it was done.

but , i agree.. it does not look like that was the issue to begin with.
Mame

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 07:48 am
@shewolfnm,
They should replace your old alternator for nothing, since they were wrong, and run the diagnostics.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 07:48 am
I'm with mame, I'd get my money back on that alternator.

sorry for your troubles girl.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 07:52 am
no can do.
they did not do the diagnostic. Auto zone did it. They do it for free...
Then I got online and found a used alternator at pep boys for under 100. So I took the car to them to have them do it. They were the cheapest.

even after changing the alternator, the car was doing the same thing and they knew that. Had to help me get it out of the driveway even . So it was not new news to them.. but.. eh. i dont know.
Mame

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 07:56 am
@shewolfnm,
Can you get yourself to a more reliable service, a nation-wide one?
shewolfnm

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 08:17 am
@Mame,
pep boys is nation wide actually. A big chain.

so was the store that did the diagnostic.

something between the two did not match up though and i am not sure why, or even how.
a combination issue would have left my car NOT driving at all. So I dont know what to make of this
Mame

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 08:30 am
@shewolfnm,
Maybe the alternator was no good?
dadpad

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 08:39 am
Coil or starter motor
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 08:56 am
@shewolfnm,
aack.

Pep boys has gone belly up everywhere but down there...

and the free diagnostic by pimple faced teenage boys is worth what you paid for it.

they put a USED alternator on it? what is the warranty?

I think you shoulda spent $20 on a voltage meter, and figured out what the real problem is.

do you have a test light? ($5)

I can walk you through diagnosing it if you can find a meter...

double aack.

i'd lean toward the starter with the current information, but it won't cause it to die.

push starting your corrolla won't hurt it unless you do something weird and crazy.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 09:07 am
@shewolfnm,
Automatic or standard?

I once had to push-start my car for three months until I had enough for a new starter.....

That's why I love standard transmissions.

Definitely sounds like the starter (or an electronic ignition).

Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, but alternators only power the electrical system (and charge the battery) while the car is running. How could it affect starting?
Rockhead

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 09:10 am
@DrewDad,
the alternator is responsible for charging the battery.

the battery is responsible for having enough ooomph to start the car, at which point the alternator takes over and powers the electrical systems whilst recharging the battery to full.

she has a standard, we had a clutch episode a while back...
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 09:12 am
@DrewDad,
The thing is "she who must be obeyed" once snuck some tofu into the lunch she served me and we all know how karma works. what goes around, comes around.
shewolfnm

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 09:22 am
alternator has a lifetime replacement warranty for any reason.

just called. Its the starter.
even he does not understand why the alternator was going off on the previous diagnostic.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 09:22 am
i tried push starting it, it would not work last time.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 09:33 am
@shewolfnm,
Quote:
After it sits a while it MIGHT turn over.

Starter solenoids tend to go out in fits and starts.
It sounds like the starter (solenoids are mounted onto the starter in Japanese cars) to me.
0 Replies