What a Disaster???

roger

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 09:07 pm
http://www.daily-times.com/farmington-news/ci_15812553

Quote:
Governor declares disaster in Farmington, Navajo NationBy Steve Lynn The Daily Times
Posted: 08/18/2010 12:41:20 AM MDT

Click photo to enlargeDirt left from the flood on Aug. 1 on Wildwood Drive still is... (Rebecca Craig/The Daily Times)«1»SAN JUAN COUNTY — Gov. Bill Richardson on Tuesday declared state disasters in Farmington, the Navajo Nation and other parts of New Mexico. The move could free up as much as $1.9 million for cleanup efforts.
Richardson directed the state Department of Finance and Administration to make the emergency money available to aid areas recovering from damage that occurred from July 25 to Aug. 8, according to a prepared statement from his office.

Richardson also issued executive orders declaring state disasters in Mora, Socorro and McKinley counties and Pueblo of Acoma.

Farmington Mayor Tommy Roberts declared a disaster last week, hoping the state would contribute toward Farmington's estimated $2 million cleanup costs. It hoped for as much as $750,000 in state funding.

"It is anticipated that the state will likely seek a response declaration from the federal government, as well, because it's based on an aggregate of damage statewide in a number of flooding events that have taken place throughout the state," City Manager Rob Mayes said.

In that case, the Federal Emergency Management Agency would evaluate damage statewide, Mayes said. The city does not believe Farmington will qualify for federal funding for residents from the agency.

If the state requests and is granted federal FEMA reimbursement, the $750,000 cap would not take effect, Mayes said. The city would instead be eligible for reimbursement of 75 percent federal and 18 percent state funding. The city would be required to pay 7 percent.

I'm going to ask around tomorrow and find out where the disaster is at. Should be a good un. It rained today, too.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 1,313 • Replies: 12
No top replies

JTT

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 10:02 pm
@roger,
No pics, Roger? I've never seen an arroyo in flash flood except for a movie once where they faked it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 10:08 pm
@roger,
I'll be the first to mention I don't understand efforts to drain land/roads here, if any. I think of the word pooling. Not to be totally dismissive, but..
roger

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 10:10 pm
@ossobuco,
Sure, but it rained last year too, I'm pretty sure. I don't recall any disaster declarations then. I'm seriously puzzled.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 10:12 pm
@roger,
Let us (that us may be just me) know what you find out.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 10:20 pm
@ossobuco,
We tried to design for 100 yr floods, in (yes) california. There are arroyos there too. And there are famous failures, Sepulveda basin being one. And some places where the mud ate the civil engineered efforts and the whole thing came down. A lot of the grading does work and there have been decades of efforts to keep the water perking on the land.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a drain here. Maybe that is the idea, do it all naturally - but from some roads I've noticed, there's not even a trench drain, or a pitch to the sand, where the road flattens out at lower grades. Coors Blvd, for example - Lake Coors. Maybe a slight pitch, way too shallow, and no place to take up the water.

I'm a little biased. Both Dys/Di's and my place have patios/hardscape that grade toward the house. I am guessing building contractors here don't have to pass grading in an exam.
dyslexia

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 10:42 pm
@ossobuco,
there is a HUGE drainage system a few blocks from our house, it runs, at least, from Unser to Coors (which it goes under) and empties into the river.
roger

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 10:52 pm
@dyslexia,
Actually, it runs from Wolf Creek Pass, Co. to Brownsville, Tx
roger

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 10:56 pm
@ossobuco,
I think they were counting on geology for drainage. Without the dam above Bernalillo most of the flatlands in the valley would have a water table of about 4 feed. That sandy gravel used to store enormous quantities of water. Hard to believe that it used to be a leech infested malarial bog, huh? Didn't drain that well back then either.

What I got from the whole article was that we were desparately waiting on FEMA to pick up part of the bill. That ought to stimulate the old economy.
dyslexia

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 11:04 pm
@roger,
well yeah sorta, actually it runs from Slumgullion pass 12 miles above Creede Colo to Brownsville Tx, but close enough for government work.
roger

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 11:49 pm
@dyslexia,
North Fork. Ptooey
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 12:08 am
@dyslexia,
Oh, yeah, I've noticed it, built or planned since I landed here. Are there drains leading to that? Where are the drain inlets? If so, good. So why does the highway (Coors) flood?

Oh, and that isn't huge.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 12:12 am
@roger,
I'm mixed on malarial bogs. Adamant on this, adamant on that. I think taking over swampy land is dumb in the long run (speaking of the louisiana coast but many other places) but I get why all those people, including Mussolini, filled them in. As I remember, this relates to the Mississippi upriver too.
0 Replies