I'm about to lose my job this December.

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 03:23 pm
This sucks but that's the way it goes with this frigging economy especially in California. I think my severance pay, unemployment benefits and my wife's earnings will still get us by for the next 2 or 3 months. The good thing about my situation is I will be able to finally fix problems on my house, spend time with my family and catch up on all the movies I missed. The bad thing is I won’t be able to have medical insurance for me and my family.

When I received my severance pay from my current employer, do I have to wait 10 weeks (I worked 10 years) before I can apply for unemployment benefits. Or can I apply as soon as my work gets terminated in December?

Do I get my severance pay in one lump sum or by weekly? If I get hired for a new job before 10 weeks, do I still get my severance pay?

When I go hunting for a new job, is it better to apply directly to a company instead of going to a hiring agency?

I'm hesitant in sending my resumes through the staffing agency because you end up earning less, is that true?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,566 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 03:44 pm
@Riley Cass,
You should be able to extend your health care benefits via COBRA. Ask your human resources department about this before you depart the company. While there, ask them your questions about the severance pay. Each company does it differently. Consider yourself lucky to have been offered it. Many companies don't.

This is the website for the California Employment Development Department. Bookmark it. You'll need to revisit it several times to get questions answered. You can also print out and complete forms to take with you to the EDD office or apply online.

http://www.edd.ca.gov/Unemployment/

These FAQs answer a lot of your questions:

http://www.edd.ca.gov/unemployment/FAQ_-_Eligibility.htm#Whataretheeligibilityrequirements

Regarding job hunting - don't limit your options. Send resumes to anyone and everyone. On average, it takes 4 to 6 months for people to find a job these days. Many have been looking for a year or more.
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 03:45 pm
@Butrflynet,
Here's California's website for COBRA:

http://www.hmohelp.ca.gov/dmhc_consumer/hp/hp_cobra.aspx
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 04:29 pm
Also, don't try to outguess when you should apply for unemployment insurance. It's a good idea to contact EDD to find out when you must file to get unemployment benefits.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 04:30 pm
@Riley Cass,
Riley Cass wrote:

Do I get my severance pay in one lump sum or by weekly? If I get hired for a new job before 10 weeks, do I still get my severance pay?

Yes, unless your old employer hires you back. Check with your current employer to be 100% certain, but severance is not unemployment.
Riley Cass wrote:

When I go hunting for a new job, is it better to apply directly to a company instead of going to a hiring agency?

Use every avenue open to you.
Riley Cass wrote:

I'm hesitant in sending my resumes through the staffing agency because you end up earning less, is that true?

No, same salary.
0 Replies