Wedding Help needed

Mame

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 10:40 am
So, as some of you know, we're getting married in October. We're having both the ceremony and reception/party in a blues bar.

What I need help with is table centrepieces (I was thinking low bowls of fresh flowers - whatever is in season here) and should I do placecards, mix people up or let them sit where they want? I'm a pretty casual person and am not having a photographer or a bouquet, and am not planning on walking down any aisle. I just want everyone to have a good time.

Also, I am not having an updo, and am trying to find a nice dinner/cocktail dress which I can wear again. Alex will be in casual jacket and nice wool pants type of thing.

Anyway, what do you suggest/think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 11 • Views: 5,942 • Replies: 59
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 10:43 am
@Mame,
i know nothing of these things, but a radio guy i listen too got married a few years back, he and his wife set the table seating, to prohibit folks from just sitting with people they already knew, there by promoting a mixing of the friends and family, some folks were put out at first, but in the end it worked out very well
Mame

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 10:52 am
@djjd62,
That's what I was thinking, but leaving couples together. But I'm not really into organizing people, plus, the ceremony is at 6:30 or so, people will arrive at 6:00 and have a drink, then dinner is between 7 and 8 p.m. Music to start at 9:00, so lots of time for socializing. Someone just suggesting the place card idea, so I'm wondering if it's worth it.
djjd62

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 10:58 am
@Mame,
they left couples together in their arrangement

0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 01:39 pm
@Mame,
Mame- I am so happy for you! A blues bar! How perfect!!! Do you have either a description or pics of the interior to help with suggestions? I love what you've decided so far!
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 02:07 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:
... we're getting married in October. ...

I have no suggestions - just wanted to congratulate you and your new husband-to-be!

Hope all goes well! Very Happy
sozobe

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 02:15 pm
@Mame,
If you want anything at all October- themed, I just bought a bunch of these for a shindig I'm doing:

Pumpkin planters

Comes out to about $1/ each and they're very nice UNdecorated, IMO. (Plain ceramic.) They're not watertight -- I checked -- but you could put whatever inside of them and spanish moss or whatever over the top if the flowers don't already conceal what's inside, it could be empty yogurt cups and nobody would know.
Lash

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 04:45 pm
@Mame,
Fall is really the more beautiful season, to me. Most people prefer Spring, but the orange, and shades of browns, yellows are so lovely.

Thinking cheap - a mediumish candle - wrapped in raffia....some actual colorful fall leaves scattered near the candle - what are your colors? (I LOVE this!! wedding planning is so much fun.) Color-coordinated glitter sprinkled among the leaves... Oh good grief! I'm going to Martha Stewart!
Lash

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 04:48 pm
@Lash,
I just saw one with a smallish pumpkin - hollowed out and a small planting of mums bursting out of it with fiery fall leaves scattered around and a small votive - flickering... NICE!
hamburgboy

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 04:51 pm
@Lash,
how about mini pumpkins for decoration ?

http://interiordec.about.com/library/graphics/fall/fall1ctpc12.jpg

... and they can be turned into a pumpkin pie after the festivities ...
Lash

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 04:58 pm
@hamburgboy,
AWESOME!!!
Mame

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 05:38 pm
Oh you guys are so funny - thank you! I just HATE this stuff. I think the pumpkin-candle thing is a great idea and will look at Soz's page in a mo... you're already relieving my stress. My mind has been completely blank Smile Great ideas, all - and yes to the pumpkin pie after!
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 05:40 pm
@sozobe,
Yes, those would work for candles or a dried flower arrangement. Do you have to buy them online?

We'll be having 6 per table and maybe 100 people, so we're looking at 17 or 18 tables.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 05:51 pm
@Mame,
I've a slight bias to Forced Seating, to get a mix, if the forced seating is for shortish time and/or people can mill. Flowers in low vases, nice. Twigs in high vases, I could like, but I'm odd. We used to do wrapped cat tails for window displays, so consider I have a range of acceptable.

Small terracotta pots with some plant - now that I like, even if they are not in the spectacular mode - if so, they could be on pedestals. Plenty, even in two inch pots, so people could snag them freely, or, fulgent, 4" pots. Thinking succulents, or baby whatevers.

Mame, you are the artist on your and alex's day. Time for play.
Mame

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 05:57 pm
@ossobuco,
Re: Seating: what do you think of this?

Everybody gets a seating arrangement at 7:00.... some people (we won't separate couples) happen to have a symbol of some sort on their card. They sit for 2 hours, chatting, meeting new people (we'll mix them up, but couples together, etc).... then just before the band starts, all people with that symbol on their card have to switch with someone else with that symbol ... that way, they've chatted for 2 hours with a bunch, then 2 or more hours with another bunch.... seems fairly simple to me, but what do you all think?
ossobuco

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 06:02 pm
@Lash,
This all reminds me of a thread about 3 or 4 years ago that little k and I participated in and maybe many others. Something about a stuffed baby pumpkin recipe in a then current magazine.

Oh, off to the search experience..
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 06:34 pm
@Mame,
They would totally work for candles. I was thinking of doing that, too. (I have two dozen and may use 'em for a bunch of different things.)

As far as I know you have to buy them online. I've found the company to be reliable and pretty cheap, shipping-wise. These arrived within a few days of ordering and were packed up nicely.
Mame

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 06:36 pm
@sozobe,
Thank you, Soz - I'll do it tomorrow - I'll have to get about 3 doz, I think. Thank you for the link and the Thanskgiving idea - it happens to be Cdn Thanskgiving that weekend and since I don't celebrate, I never even clued in Smile

Does that mean I'll have to wear orange? Yuck! lol
ossobuco

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 06:52 pm
@Mame,
Me, I'm an eye roller at games, and roll eyes at doing that at my wedding.

Not to be a cloud.
Mame

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 06:53 pm
@ossobuco,
It's not a game, Oss - it's a way to get his people to meet mine. That's it Smile
0 Replies