Eva

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 07:36 pm
You will look stunning, Mame.

(The dress will look good, too!)
Mame

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 07:47 pm
@Eva,
Heh, thank you. Smile

Centerpiece ideas - taking off from Izzie's idea, what about a low bowl of water, stones on the bottom, flowers around the edge, and a floating candle in the middle?
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 08:57 pm
@Mame,
That's a great picture of you and Denise, love it!

Hm, if you don't have table clothes, why not use doilies. They're available in different colors, shapes or you could even spray paint them to whatever color you want. The smaller ones for glasses and the large ones for under plates
http://www.indiaenterprise.com/crochet_patterns/table_cloths_linen/table_cloth_images/table-centerpiece-round-doilies-RHCTC2.jpg

Of course, this would be a lovely center piece.
http://ineedweddinghelp.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/goldfish-bowl-centerpiece.jpg

There is nothing more cheerful than sunflowers, plus they're cheap
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Xd2tr8jvrfw/TDqjo0ZUZbI/AAAAAAAACKU/CZ5oPIbaOE4/s400/Summer+Sunflower+Bouquet.jpg
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 09:01 pm
@Mame,
This will be in a blues club, right? Describe the decor for us.
Mame

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 10:26 am
@Eva,
Well, it's dark, of course Smile which is why I thought of floating candles. It's not pitch black, but the lights are dimmed. You walk in and it's rectangular. Bar on the right, seating about 10 stools, the rest is full of tables. The stage is at the opposite end, facing the door.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 10:46 am
This thread should be archived. A lot of great advice!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 02:50 pm
@Mame,
YES!
Mame

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 10:00 pm
@Lash,
Sorry, yes what? LOL
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 10:06 pm
Okay, so it's dark in there. Meaning mostly black? What colors?
Mame

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 10:15 pm
@Eva,
It's not mostly black, no... it's light coloured, but the lights will be dimmed. I was there the other day talking to the chef and again one evening at a musical event and I noticed there are several (10?) 24 x 24 size abstract paintings on the walls in primary colours. That's it for decor. We won't even notice them. So I'm thinking we'll go with something to go with the wood on the tables... sort of sand, rocks, and neutral coloured flowers. What do you think?
Mame

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 10:23 pm
@Reyn,
Reyn wrote:

Mame wrote:
... we're getting married in October. ...

I have no suggestions - just wanted to congratulate you and your new husband-to-be!

Hope all goes well! Very Happy

I never said thank you, Reyn, so I'm doing it now. I appreciate it.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 10:48 pm
@Mame,
I like it! Neutrals can be very sophisticated. No tablecloths/linens? Of course, those could be neutral, too.
Mame

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 05:36 am
@Eva,
No, no linens. I'm not buying 20 tablecloths and 100 napkins, and I don't want to go all the way out to where I can rent them just for that (lazy) so since it's a blues bar anyway, fuggedaboutit. It's more a party than a reception. Know what I mean?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 07:41 am
Yes, I do. I just thought since you mentioned a chef, perhaps the tables there already had linens. Nevermind!

I think the idea of low bowls of rocks, floating flowers and candles sounds perfect. White candles would really glow in a dark room.
Mame

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 07:53 am
@Eva,
Thanks for your input, Eva... that sounds simplest but nice to me, too.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 08:46 am
@Mame,
What is the point of having centrepieces in a bar?
Mame

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 09:50 am
@ehBeth,
Well, just to dress it up a bit and have a bit more lighting... maybe I'll go back there one of these nights and check it out. Good point.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 23 Aug, 2010 12:26 pm
@Mame,
If you want to save on costs (not sure if it is an issue or not with you) - but I had my venue use hurricane lamps (which they had and supplied at no cost) with a floral ring around it to dress it up. Significantly less than a bouquet - your thoughts with fresh flowers also sounds simple yet nice. Myself, I like the simple yet elegant look (which is inexpensive, but looks expensive at the same time).

I think as far as place cards - it would depend on what you like - it sounds casual so no one is likely to sit where their place card is any way. One thing though, if you would like to mix people, you could use the place cards as a way to seat people that do not know each other that you will think would like each other. For example, we put my more snobby relatives with hubby's more snobby relatives and voila new friends.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2010 05:50 pm
@Mame,
I'm sure ya got it all figured out by now. Happy weddin' day love. I wish I could dance at your wedding!
Mame

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2010 06:02 pm
@Joeblow,
I wish you could, too, JB. I'd love it if you were there.
0 Replies