Statistics - Change in Volume

alain55

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 02:13 pm
Hello! I am trying to determine whether there is a statistically significant change in the number of units of a product claimed to be bought between a test (new product) and a control (current product) leg of a survey. What is the correct statistical method to use to answer this question? Can you recommend a user-friendly internet tool to answer this question?
Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 896 • Replies: 5
No top replies

RealEyes

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 02:23 pm
I'm not entirely sure what you are asking. Are you asking about standard deviation in estimations?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_deviation
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 02:38 pm
@alain55,
We need more information on your survey. Was the survey given to the same people in both legs (test and control), or do you have two independent groups - one for each portion of the survey? What do you mean, exactly, by "survey"? Do you mean you surveyed purchasers of your products to determine when they made their purchase, or are you using the term to be synonymous with "study period"? How much data do you have? If you only have two numbers, say 1,000 and 1,200 and want to know if they are significantly different then your denominator becomes critical. 1,000/???? vs 1,200/?????
0 Replies

alain55

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 02:38 pm
@alain55,
Let me exaplain it in a different way: on the control leg, the average number of units purchased (claimed) is 1.14. On the test leg, the average is 1.30. How do I find out if the increase on the test leg is statistically significant?
Hope this is clearer. Thanks!
JPB

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 02:40 pm
@alain55,
Assuming you know what your sample sizes and Std deviations are you can do a 2-sample t test. Do you have the raw data, or just the summary claims? Did they give you a confidence interval around those means?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 07:58 pm
@alain55,
Sounds like you are asking for delta (change) percent. If so, the formula is change/base.
0 Replies