Who are the 3 greatest and 3 worst presidents?

chai2

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 08:48 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

i think i'm pretty innocent in this thing, i made two pretty innocuous posts

and they would have been the last but now this one will be

We drove through Johnson City yesterday, and when I mentioned how once when coming through there, we turned off at a sign that led to the little house Johnson grew up in, my husband said "That couldn't have been with me. I would have remembered, because I would have gotten out of the car to spit on that house".

(and it didn't have anything to do with civil rights)
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 12:34 pm
@chai2,
Reminiscent of Winston Churchill urinating
on Hitler's Western Wall (the Siegfried Line).

David
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2010 03:34 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Convincing someone to stop derailing a thread is about as fruitless and empty a pursuit as derailing one. Just sayin'.
chai2

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2010 11:54 am
@snood,
I don't know that derailing a thread is always empty and/or fruitless.

Sometimes, the original thread and just been talked out, and the natural progression is to branch out.

There have been many times when shifting the subject, which can lead to even something unrelated to the OT, has made it much more interesting.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2010 02:14 pm
@chai2,
That 's a good point; I had not thawt of that.

David
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2010 05:41 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote "What a foolish, untrue thing to say!!! U do not know the definition of slavery, or, as a real liberal, u fake that it is something different, to support your philosophical preferences.

A slave is owned by his master; he is property. He is not paid for his labor.
If he is rented out, his owner is paid for the slave 's labor. If he re-produces, his children are the property of the owner, like horses. THAT is slavery."

You are wrong - again!

I know very well what constitutes real slavery. Apparently you don't.
You are not alone. Most Americans think Lincoln ended slavery because biased historians continued to write books to retain the myth to protect their financial and social interests.

I suggest you read a very important book: Slavery by Another Name: The Re-Enslavement of Black Americans from the Civil War to World War II, by
Douglas A. Blackmon.

Mr. Blackmon, a White man who was raised in Mississippi, goes far beyond these traditional understandings of racial practices, and brings new, deeper knowledge of how slavery had merely been retooled to accommodate the unforeseen realities of emancipation, allowing it to flourish for many more decades in what Blackmon calls the "Age of Neoslavery".

Such Neoslavery did not end until the start of World War II, when President Roosevelt ordered the Justice Department to immediately begin enforcing the existing anti-slavery laws. The enforcement failure continuation of the Federal and the State Governments illuminates both the real human tragedy and the profoundly corrupting nature of the Old South slavery as it transformed to establish a New South social order.”

It took over thirty more years before Federal Laws finally put an end to Neoslavery. We still are trying to live up to the reformed Civil Rights Movement. That's why I chose President Lyndon Johnson as one of the three best presidents, despite his terrible mistakes in the Vietnam war. He finally achieved Lincoln's limited goals.

BBB

plainoldme

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 06:52 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I am so glad to see you recommend this important book. As a folk music fan (and former dj for a blues show on my college radio station), I should have made a connection between prisons/work farms in the South and Jim Crow laws.

I have recommended this book to david but you know that he will not read it. The experience would bring him too close to reality.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 07:42 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme, I always knew you were a very smart and widely educated person. Glad to meet ya!

BBB
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 09:02 am
@plainoldme,
The recent Shirley Sherrod firing episode exposed the evidence that African-American farmers in the South still could not get government loans today. The Agricultural Department has had a long history of discriminating against these farmers. So that sort of neoslavery is still with us. The Obama Administration will finally put a stop to it. How many more are we not aware of?

BBB
plainoldme

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 09:07 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
That's the important question: How many more are we not aware of?
0 Replies

Deliya

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2010 03:28 pm
best:

1. Thomas Jefferson, without him there would have NEVER been a Real Bill of Rights, NEVER been a Real Republic, just the Democratic Tyrannical Imperialistic Warmongering Torturing Scum that we have today.

2. Abraham Lincoln for preserving the Union against British sponsored secession and ending legal slavery

3. John Kennedy for being the only somewhat okay president post world war 2.

worst:

too many too choose, most presidents were either bad or very bad. Just to name some: Woodrow "Bankingpuppet+British Imperialist" Wilson, Lyndon "Napalm" Johnson, Ronald "The fake libertarian Deficit Monster" Reagan, Franklin "Prolonging the Great Depression + British Imperialist" Roosevelt and countless others.
holden

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 06:55 am
heres an outsiders view ( Im an Aussie) , but since the US seems to think they run the world, its about time we had a vote anyway.
In terms of promoting the virtues of your country John Kennedy was an inspiration around the world. Who will ever forget his committment to put a man on the moon and return him safely to earth before this decade is out. He had passion, drive and high values. I would have been proud to be an American back then.

The worst is so obvious. Because they tend not to be great travellers I dont think most Americans really understand the damage done to the reputation of your country by G.Dubbya...but then I suspect a lot of you couldnt care less what the rest of the world thinks....and I think thats part of the reason no one loves you anymore. It still gobsmacks me that a country of 300 million people could choose such an idiot to be their leader.. and then do it again! what were you thinking? And then to think that you could even consider that Palin woman as a contender...thank god for the democrats.. they are your only hope. God bless America.. you need some serious blessing guys. Oh and please spare me the comebacks bagging Australia...trust me I could do a way better job myself.
Setanta

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 06:57 am
What a wonderful grab bag of misinformation and bigotry.
BillRM

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 09:31 am
@holden,
Quote:
but then I suspect a lot of you couldnt care less what the rest of the world thinks....

You are 100 percent correct we do not care about others opinions of us one way or another nor should we care.
0 Replies

holden

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 01:04 am
@Setanta,
Hi Setanta
of course its a grab bag..this is hardly the place for a 5000 word dissertation.
Bigotry..my understanding of that word is that it implies a stubborn prejudice usually against a particular race, nationality or sexuality. If you read my post you would clearly see my view of the USA has clearly changed over time..so hardly stubborn. I do have an obvious predjudice against people of low intelligence, at least when it comes to putting them in positions of great power and influence.
0 Replies

Warlock13

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2011 02:43 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I have disagree with your assessment of FDR. It was not his actions that reversed the Great Depression, it was our entering World War II that jump-started the economy. Recall that Democrats and FDR were heading into the 1942 elections very unpopular. The war saved them to. I also believe that FDR purposely moved our Pacific Fleet from San Diego to Pearl Harbor to make it a target for the Japanese. Without the bombing he had no excuse to break campaign promises and send American sons to Europe. I do however agree that Ronald Reagan was not so good. Debt is not a solution. I did like his statement that government is not the solution to the problem-government is the problem.
If had to pick the worst president; it would have to be FDR. His assumption that every American was responsible for the health care and retirement of every other American is deplorable. No free citizen is obligated to another except by his own choice.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2011 02:59 pm
While many of FDR's efforts did not produce the desired results, his overall legacy was good for the common man, good for business. But, as memory fades, so the lessons learned in those days also fade. The New Deal has been dismantled. The middle class is sinking.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2011 04:45 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
My choices are exactly the same as BBB's!!!! You go girl.
0 Replies

chaz wyman

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 11:21 am

The last 3 are always the worst and the first 3 are always the best
0 Replies

chaz wyman

Reply Thu 17 Feb, 2011 11:24 am
@Deliya,

Lincoln never wanted to end slavery - he was forced into it.
He wanted to ship the lot of them back to Africa.

As for British backed - this is the most irrelevant comment I've read for weeks.
Most Southerners would resent that as if it were important, they had their own reasons. - none of this had much to do with slavery. It had more to do with keeping the West WHITE. that was why the North fought the war- to EXCLUDE blacks from the West.
Learn your own history!