Who are the 3 greatest and 3 worst presidents?

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 04:04 pm
@EmperorNero,
Regarding Lincoln, it only took a hundred years to truly and completely free the slaves in the 1960s. Lincoln began their freedom with his proclamation.

I was born in 1929 and lived through the Great Depression. I find nothing in your post that I remember during that time or to agree with.

What flavor of Tea Party do you drink?

BBB
EmperorNero

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 04:13 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Okay, let's talk great depression. If government spending can improve the economy, by building dams or tanks, why wouldn't we do it all the time?
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 04:48 pm
@EmperorNero,
The government has been doing it for a long time.

Ike caused the national highway system to be built so that the Army could transport goods and soldiers from one end of the county to the other.

Ike also warned us about the Military-Industrial Complex and it's billion of dollars spent, increasing the national deficit.

BBB
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 11:40 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Regarding Lincoln, it only took a hundred years to truly and completely free the slaves in the 1960s.
Lincoln began their freedom with his proclamation.
BBB
What a foolish, untrue thing to say!!!
U do not know the definition of slavery,
or, as a real liberal,
u fake that it is something different, to support your philosophical preferences.

A slave is owned by his master; he is property.
He is not paid for his labor.
If he is rented out, his owner is paid for the slave 's labor.
If he re-produces, his children are the property of the owner, like horses.

THAT is slavery.

David
djjd62

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 06:12 am
not sure about the best, but the absolute worst would have to be Alexander Joseph "Lex" Luthor, why you guys ever elected him is beyond me

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/25/Lex2000.jpg

Deciding to turn to politics, Luthor becomes President of the United States, winning the election on a platform of promoting technological progress. His first action as president was to take a proposed moratorium on fossil-based fuels to the U.S. Congress.

Luthor is assisted by the extreme unpopularity of the previous administration's mishandling of the Gotham City earthquake crisis (as depicted in the No Man's Land storyline in the Batman titles), and his own seemingly heroic efforts to rebuild Gotham. After six months, Gotham is restored and rejoins America. Ironically, Batman ultimately learns that the entire debacle was the fault of Luthor alone as he attempted to take control of Gotham by forging deeds for the land in his name, which results in Bruce Wayne severing all commercial ties between the U.S. government and his company, Wayne Enterprises, in protest of Luthor's election as President. Luthor responds in turn by arranging for the murder of Wayne's lover, Vesper Fairchild, and framing Wayne for the murder (as seen in Bruce Wayne: Fugitive).

An early triumph of Luthor's first term occurs during the Our Worlds At War comic book crossover, in which he coordinates the U.S. Army, Earth's superheroes and a number of untrustworthy alien forces to battle the main villain of the story arc, Imperiex. As it is eventually revealed, however, Luthor knew about the alien invasion in advance and did nothing to alert Earth's heroes to it, leading to the destruction of Topeka, Kansas by an Imperiex probe.

Removal From Office

The initial story arc of the Superman/Batman ongoing series depicts the fall of Luthor's reign as U.S. President. In "The World's Finest" (more commonly referred to as "Public Enemies"), a cadre of superheroes eventually break ranks from the Justice League to oppose Luthor. Batman, who had previously forbidden any attempt to unseat Luthor from office by force, led the storming of the White House. This was predicated by an attempt on Luthor's part to link Superman to a kryptonite asteroid that is hurtling toward Earth. In a desperate gambit, Luthor uses a variant combination of the "super-steroid" Venom (a chemical associated with the Batman villain Bane), liquid synthetic Kryptonite, and an Apokoliptian battlesuit to fight Superman directly.
The madness that is a side effect of Venom takes hold, and during the ensuing fight with Superman and Batman, Luthor admits he had traded the creature Doomsday to Darkseid in return for weapons during the Our Worlds at War crisis; in doing so, he inadvertently provides a confession which is captured on video by Batman. Returning to the LexCorp building to regroup, Luthor finds that the acting C.E.O., Talia Head, has sold the entirety of the company assets to the Wayne Foundation, forcing Luthor to escape and go into hiding. Following Luthor's bankruptcy and total disgrace, Vice President Pete Ross briefly assumes his place as President. Luthor serves fewer than three years.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 07:23 am
I wonder if david doesn't occasionally realize his posts make no sense.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 08:45 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
I wonder if david doesn't occasionally realize his posts make no sense.
Well, I DO understand that your mentality is too feeble
to understand, Plain; hence, your indigence.

David
plainoldme

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 09:20 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Hey, at least I can write an English sentence. What's your excuse? Could it be you hold your gun while typing in case the boogeyman breaks into your apartment?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 01:51 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
Hey, at least I can write an English sentence.
Hopefully, u will not continue to need ADDITIONAL correction from me, Professor.
Try to remember what I 've taught u.

plainoldme wrote:
What's your excuse?
I have no need to be excused.

plainoldme wrote:
Could it be you hold your gun while typing in case the boogeyman breaks into your apartment?
I live in a full, multi-story private house, Plain, not in an apartment.

David
plainoldme

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 05:42 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Oh, david, small-minded people like you just love to catch typos.

You do not appear anything other than a doddering old man with average intelligence who has had an unlived life, who never gained a college degree, who may or may not have gone directly from high school to law school (although I am not alone in questioning that you have been a lawyer).
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 09:34 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
Oh, david, small-minded people like you just love to catch typos.
Its not THAT; goodness, anyone can make that mistake; I do, too ofen.
Its failure to understand the logical infrastructure of grammar,
enuf to avoid being inconsistent in a sentence.

plainoldme wrote:
You do not appear anything other than a doddering old man
Actually, I DO practice caution
as to where I step, to avoid falling, but I fail to see how or Y that is of interest to U.
I wonder Y that IS.

Coud it be that a certain person
who is a professional failure who lives in chronic near destitution despite her advanced education,
is trying to make me feel bad about the state of my health ??

plainoldme wrote:
with average intelligence who has had an unlived life,
U 've mentioned that concept several times.
It appears to mean a lot to u; I wonder Y.
Will u elucidate what u have in mind about that ?
It might be interesting.

plainoldme wrote:
who never gained a college degree, who may or may not have
gone directly from high school to law school (although I am not alone in questioning that you have been a lawyer).
U seem to attribute some significance to this "questioning".
I wonder Y that IS.
I have retired from practice and I have no desire to work; I wanna relax, n I 'm doing it; permanent vacation. Its FUN.
I take delight in NOT seeking to represent u as a pro bono client.
(That usually means a charity case; a client who is too indigent to pay his lawyer,
but he takes the case out of pity.)
I pity any lawyer who represented u, with your mentality.
From your posts, I infer that u 'd be a dangerous client for your lawyer to accept.

0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 11:24 am
djjd62, OmSigDAVID, plainoldme

Will you three please stop your pissing match? You are diverting my post topic, which is very rude of you.

BBB
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 11:56 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
OK
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 12:11 pm
I've been waiting for this question to be asked, and the answers are as expected.

No one can agree on anything, who is best, worst or in between.

But, as long as there's an argument, who cares, right?

This is exactly why politics are so uninteresting to me, and why so little gets done.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 12:20 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
why so little gets done.
No news can be good news.
chai2

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 01:28 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

You know what?

I honestly have never believed that.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 01:32 pm
@chai2,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

chai2 wrote:

You know what?

I honestly have never believed that.
When government DOES things, thay get worse.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 08:39 am
August 22, 2010
Commentary: Revisionists are attacking LBJ and FDR's presidential legacies
By Bob Ray Sanders | The Fort Worth Star-Telegram

As I prepare to celebrate the 102nd birthday of one of the greatest presidents in U.S. history, I am more than a little disturbed by the conservatives who are trying to rewrite history about him and others.

It's not enough to recognize that all presidents are human and thus make mistakes. No, these modern-day knaves attempt to tarnish the image and deeds of great men to somehow give credence to their own twisted analysis of the past and present.

The current economic troubles of this country and the challenges faced by a new president are often compared to the Great Depression and the president who led the nation through it.

The new narrative fostered by these pontificating pundits on the one hand and signifying soothsayers on the other is that Franklin D. Roosevelt's policies were a failure, that he had nothing or little to do with the country's economic recovery and that "in truth" his New Deal was a bad deal all around.

After all, Roosevelt saddled the country with Social Security, helped create the welfare state and put too many regulations on our financial institutions and businesses, crippling the free enterprise system. At least, that's their story.

Roosevelt doesn't need me to defend his legacy, and neither does another great president, who served during my lifetime and is now being maligned by these same hypocrites as someone who brought more harm to the country than good.

Johnson, whose birthday is Aug. 27, is criticized for his Great Society initiatives and what some call a massive government takeover. The states' rights violations that his accusers charge him with speak, in reality, to their continued disappointment with passage of the civil rights and voting rights bills -- legislation that Johnson knew would turn the South Republican for a generation but was the right thing to do.

For one who was a direct beneficiary of Johnson's efforts in time of turmoil, I must speak up for this president, a fellow Texan who defied the odds and the conventional wisdom that a man from the South could not or would not bring such universal change to the country.

There is no doubt that he had the greatest legislative agenda since Roosevelt, and he used his experience from the Congress and his sheer power to tackle issues that most thought at the time were unconquerable.

Just passing the two rights acts would have been plenty for a president to hang his legacy on, but LBJ didn't stop there. He added to his agenda Medicare, Medicaid and the war on poverty. And because he knew that the best way to address poverty was through education, Johnson produced major programs for elementary, secondary and higher education.

For those who now preach that all Great Society programs were a failure, I'll simply mention Head Start and dare them to say it has failed by preparing underprivileged kids in this country to enter first grade ready to learn and succeed.

On top of all that, Johnson gave us the National Endowment for the Arts, the National Endowment for the Humanities and the Public Broadcasting Act, all programs that conservatives have been trying to kill for years.

The one area in which I was an ardent critic was the escalation of the Vietnam War, a mistake from the beginning made worse by continued commitment of American lives and dollars. The war would be the thing he regretted most about his presidency and was what kept him from seeking a second full term.

Despite his detractors, some of whom would do away with Medicare today if they got the chance, Johnson's record speaks for itself. It will stand the test of time and most certainly can withstand the uninformed and deceptive attempts to rewrite it.

So, in this month of his birth, I salute the man born in his beloved Hill Country along the Pedernales Rivers, a man who worked his way up the political ladder, a man who became president on a fateful day in Texas in 1963 and a man who would change our nation for the better.

Read more: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2010/08/22/99352/commentary-revisionists-are-attacking.html#storylink=omni_popular#ixzz0xLTZugDy
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 08:43 am
i think i'm pretty innocent in this thing, i made two pretty innocuous posts

and they would have been the last but now this one will be
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 08:45 am
@djjd62,
Why don't you go pollute some other thread---please! I'm putting you on my voting down status. Enough is enough.

BBB