Can Nobody Exist?

parados

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2010 08:07 am
@mark noble,
So, if nobody doesn't exist, then how can we describe it or discuss it?
Certainly nobody exists as a concept, just as putting people on ignore exists as a concept. If both are concepts then why can one concept exist but the other doesn't?

I would suggest that because mark has me on ignore makes me nobody to him yet I still exist. His failure to respond to this post will show I am nobody to him but the post stands as proof I exist.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 09:02 am
@kennethamy,
...So you think is aceptable to say that negatives like nobody exist...wonderfull !!!

kennethamy

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 09:06 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

...So you think is aceptable to say that negatives like nobody exist...wonderfull !!!

Don't blame me. That was the OP. Anyway, don't you think it is acceptable to reply to someone who asks whether anyone is in the next room by saying, "there is nobody in the next room"? If not, how do you think you should reply if, indeed, there is nobody in the next room?
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 09:13 am
@kennethamy,
Your attempt to manipulate others minds is almost childish in its ways...I can't help but laugh!
kennethamy

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 10:54 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

Your attempt to manipulate others minds is almost childish in its ways...I can't help but laugh!

Are you all right? Too much vinho verde? (When you have recovered, then. "What how would you reply to some one who asked you whether anyone was in the room, and you knew the room was empty?" )
mark noble

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 11:55 am
@kennethamy,
Hi Ken!

I would just say 'no'.

Kind regards!
Mark...
kennethamy

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 11:56 am
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Hi Ken!

I would just say 'no'.

Kind regards!
Mark...

"No" what?
mark noble

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 11:59 am
@kennethamy,
Hi Ken!

Just 'no'.

Kind regards!
Mark...
kennethamy

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 03:20 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Hi Ken!

Just 'no'.

Kind regards!
Mark...

As in, "don't ask, don't tell"?
mark noble

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 03:50 pm
@kennethamy,
Hi Ken!

No. As in 'No'. Your question: "Is there anybody in the next room?", My answer would be "No". Possibly "No, there is not".

Kind regards!
Mark...
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 07:35 pm
@kennethamy,
I go with coke soda instead...(old fashion)
...Plus I was adressing your coment on nobody existing Ken, just that! Wbat were you expecting?

kennethamy

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 09:54 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

I go with coke soda instead...(old fashion)
...Plus I was adressing your coment on nobody existing Ken, just that! Wbat were you expecting?

Let me just close this conversation by answering the OP (does nobody exist?) this way: yes, but only if they want to.
mark noble

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 12:58 pm
@kennethamy,
Hi!

Nobody does not exist - cannot exist - and never existed.

Nobody cannot want to exist, nor can nobody not want to exist.

Because nobody cannot want or not want.

Nobody has no desire.

All the best!
Mark...
0 Replies

Arjuna

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 01:06 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Hi Ken!

No. As in 'No'. Your question: "Is there anybody in the next room?", My answer would be "No". Possibly "No, there is not".

Kind regards!
Mark...
That's the same as saying "there is nobody." The question is: what do you mean by that? I would assume you looked for a body and had the experience of lack.

Negative space is a concept in art. You can tell an artist that what he's talking about doesn't exist. You'll probably get a blank stare.
mark noble

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 01:16 pm
@Arjuna,
Hi Arjuna!

Answering to, "Is there a cow on the roof?", "No". Is not the same as answering, "There is no cow on the roof." Because "No Cow" cannot be "A Cow".

No cow is not a cow. A cow is a cow.
A cow cannot be not a cow ever, for not a cow has no cow properties.

I see your point though. I think we often speak without considering what we are saying (All of us).

Hope you've had a good day today, by the way.
Mark...
Arjuna

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 01:37 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Hi Arjuna!

Answering to, "Is there a cow on the roof?", "No". Is not the same as answering, "There is no cow on the roof." Because "No Cow" cannot be "A Cow".

No cow is not a cow. A cow is a cow.
A cow cannot be not a cow ever, for not a cow has no cow properties.

I see your point though. I think we often speak without considering what we are saying (All of us).

Hope you've had a good day today, by the way.
Mark...
Yes.. I did have a good day. Very Happy Much better than the last time we spoke.

I think there's a lot of philosophy that focuses directly on that: considering what we say.

It's true the no cow has no cow properties.... but notice: the only way to describe it is to refer to cow properties.... in the negative.

From a certain point of view, the cow is ultimately defined by this:

what's left when we subtract all the not-cows.
mark noble

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 09:02 am
@Arjuna,
Hi Arjuna!

Your mad!!! But I like you.

How can you subtract a 'not cow'? There's nothing to subtract.
If we were to subtract all the 'not plokijupowedlibs', we are hardly likely to be left with a 'plokijupowedlib'. IMO. Unless you know of one?

Ha ha ha!

Journey well Arjuna!
Mark...
Arjuna

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 09:50 am
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Hi Arjuna!

Your mad!!! But I like you.

How can you subtract a 'not cow'? There's nothing to subtract.
If we were to subtract all the 'not plokijupowedlibs', we are hardly likely to be left with a 'plokijupowedlib'. IMO. Unless you know of one?

Ha ha ha!

Journey well Arjuna!
Mark...
I prefer insane. I'm not mad. A horse is not a cow. You could say a horse is an example of "not cow."

Ursula LeGuin told a story about a day on the beach with her daughter. Her daughter ran up with a balled fist and said: "Guess what I have in my hand!" Ursula guessed elephant... whale.... "No," her daughter said.

"So what do you have in your hand?" Ursula asked.

The answer was: darkness.
mark noble

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 03:26 pm
@Arjuna,
Hi Arjuna!

Every thing is an example of 'not cow' with the exception of 'cows', of course.
But if we answered every question 'what is that?', it is 'not cow'. Then we wouldn't really be doing anybody's education any justice.

'Nobody' as an expression, certainly exists. It is 'nobody' the thing that does not. Nobody, I'm sure you'll agree, is not a thing, it is an expression used to convey the absence of a thing.

To sum up - Nobody is present never in the physical realm, for nobody has no properties. Nobody cannot prove that this is false or correct because nobody is incapable of proving anything.

Best wishes Arjuna!
Mark...
Arjuna

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2010 04:45 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Hi Arjuna!

Every thing is an example of 'not cow' with the exception of 'cows', of course.
But if we answered every question 'what is that?', it is 'not cow'. Then we wouldn't really be doing anybody's education any justice.

'Nobody' as an expression, certainly exists. It is 'nobody' the thing that does not. Nobody, I'm sure you'll agree, is not a thing, it is an expression used to convey the absence of a thing.

To sum up - Nobody is present never in the physical realm, for nobody has no properties. Nobody cannot prove that this is false or correct because nobody is incapable of proving anything.

Best wishes Arjuna!
Mark...
Very true.

But mustn't you grant me that although it may not serve any educational purpose it's still true: everything other than cows is the not-cow.

Does anything follow from that? Maybe the question is: could a cow exist if there was no not-cow?

If everything was green, would we know the meaning of the word: green?

And I had another day with the occasional brilliant moment. Hope you did too!