Recently, I was criticized for not posting URL links to newspaper and magazine articles I post

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 11:54 pm
Recently, I was criticized for not posting URL links to newspaper and magazine articles I post. With the MacClatchy newspaper articles I often post, I usually post the Link URL at the bottom of the article with is provided by the paper.

As I've explained over the years why I often don't post a link URL for newspaper and magazine topics. I used to post the link, but stopped because it caused a serious problem. Articles are only visible in newspapers for one or two days. So many times, A2Kers would ask me how to find the link once it was no longer visible. I would spend hours hunting for them, often learning that they could only be found with difficulty in the archive. Many newspapers charge a fee for archived articles. So, I gave up and no longer post the link.

Many A2Kers told me they understood why I no longer post the links and agreed that it was a problem they had not realized.

BBB

Intrepid

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 06:18 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Why not post the link anyhow with a small disclaimer that it may not work, in all instances. That should cover those who criticize and also those who want the link. That will also save you time from going back to try to find it.

Just a suggestion.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 06:22 am
is there a link to this disclaimer Wink
Intrepid

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 06:25 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

is there a link to this disclaimer Wink

BBB is too busy to look it up for you right now.

Here
dlowan

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 06:30 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Seems to me the problem is more with you choosing to hunt for missing links instead of just explaining that they go.

It drives me nuts when people don't post links...and I believe we have been asked again and again not to post whole articles (which you do) because of copyright issues.
ehBeth

@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
. I used to post the link, but stopped because it caused a serious problem.

if the link was live when you posted it, it's not a serious problem

it's a minor annoyance

if someone's interested in the original article they can track down the information independently - google's wonderful that way

I don't think you've got a responsibility to locate the information a second time.

I do think that you should post them when posting the article originally. I see it as a matter of internet etiquette (there's probably a good legal reason as well).
djjd62

@Intrepid,
actually i hate people who only or almost only post links (gungasnake)
dlowan

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 06:33 am
@djjd62,
There's a happy medium apple head!
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 08:01 am
@dlowan,
dlowan

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 08:09 am
@Region Philbis,
That's a little TOO happy.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 08:19 am
@ehBeth,
If you cut and paste a section of the article that was quoted into Google, I have always come up with the article that someone posts. I MOST HATE when somebody posts a damn question that seems interesting and then, as a lead-in, they only post a damn link. I dont have time to screw with most of those and so, I ignore most of em.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 09:31 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Seems to me the problem is more with you choosing to hunt for missing links instead of just explaining that they go.

It drives me nuts when people don't post links...and I believe we have been asked again and again not to post whole articles (which you do) because of copyright issues.

What are the copyright issues with posting whole articles? An exception is usually made for "fair use."
dlowan

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 09:55 am
@wandeljw,
Not for whole articles I don't think....for some sure.
0 Replies

jgweed

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 10:01 am
Aside from the legal issue (copyright and fair use), there is also the courtesy of attempting to provide the source for the quotation to one's readers so that they can read the entire text, or at least have an understanding about the source and consequently judge whether it is reliable. Failure to provide sources for quotations is an endemic problem on the Internet as a whole and largely accounts for the spread of misinformation .

dyslexia

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 10:52 am
@jgweed,
apparently credibility is not an issue when a poster approves of the content of his/her post.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 11:10 am
Cornell University Law School has a helpful website (regarding U.S. laws). Here is a link to information concerning copyright and fair use:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode17/usc_sec_17_00000107----000-.html
Reyn

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 02:21 pm
@wandeljw,
Thanks for clearing that up, wandel.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 09:31 am
Please recall that I said I post the URL links to 99 percent of the newspaper articles I post.

BBB
0 Replies