I wish I was a beer drinker

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 11:18 pm
@Sglass,
Sglass wrote:
Back in the day I worked at the Wurtz House in Harvard Square which carried beer from all over the world. Every night when we cashed out we were allowed two freebie beers.

Every night I would drink a different beer until I had sampled them all. My favorite was Urlichs?. Later when I no longer indulged , I reached into a frig at a liquor store to get a soft drink there was one Urlich, the condensation had formed a little tear which was wending its way down the bottle. I grabbed the beer, bought it, took it home and it stayed in my frig for two years until I served it to a guest. Talk about OCD. Sigh.
Does beer have a shelf life ?
Sglass

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 01:54 am
@OmSigDAVID,
according to google, 8-12 months.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 04:25 am
I rarely do the beer thing anymore. I get one of those oversize Carta Blancas every two to three months, if I think about it. What else? - I've had a bottle of vermouth in the cabinet from the time my Arab friend from the apartments gave it to me, about six years ago. I envy you people of the bikini waxes and wax mustaches, who drink any time you please.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 05:03 am
@cicerone imposter,
I had a root beer float (Mug was the brand) last fall after a long, root beer free hiatus. I thought it was awful. Overly sweet and tasting of chemicals.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 05:07 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Beer definitely has a shelf life and the boutique beers have a shorter shelf life than some of the "factory beers." Beer is considered a fresh product.

Since you seem to always be at sea about words and phrases, the word for spoiled beer is "skunked," largely because the chemicals degrade into compounds related to the scent of a skunk.
plainoldme

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 05:09 am
@Sglass,
The poor Wurtz House is now some sort of chain that sells casual clothes.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 05:25 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
Beer definitely has a shelf life and the boutique beers have a shorter shelf life than some of the "factory beers." Beer is considered a fresh product.

Since you seem to always be at sea about words and phrases, the word for spoiled beer is "skunked," largely because the chemicals degrade into compounds related to the scent of a skunk.
admittedly about that word
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 07:13 pm
Budweiser finally made a beer I like. I have one every night with dinner

http://blog.mlive.com/kalamabrew_impact/2008/08/medium_Hops_Hero.jpg
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 11 Aug, 2010 08:40 pm
@panzade,
Ale pales to lager.
panzade

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 07:04 am
@cicerone imposter,
Pilsners(lagers) have dominated the American market for decades. Finally the porters ,stouts, Belgian and German specialty beers are available
Their robust, complex tastes make lagers taste like swill. Very Happy
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 07:27 am
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

MY telly is saturated with beer ads, everyone is young, vibrant, sexy witty, urbane, tres chic, mello, atheltic, dynamic, perky, coiffed, bikini-waxed, manicured, pedicured, up-lifed.
My only beer drinking friend is Thomas and he is just Thomas drinking a beer.
I myself am a bourbon drinker, sitting at a vinyl topped table, wooden chairs and the back door open for spitting purposes.

I hate beer.

Bourbon? Hmmmm....
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 06:03 pm
@dlowan,
How about some Southern Comfort bunny!
http://www.rammerjammeryellowhammer.com/weblog/archives/southern-comfort.jpg

Just add some carrots if you like!
http://thepioneerwoman.com/tasty-kitchen/files/2009/10/Whiskey-Carrots-420x279.png
Whiskey glazed carrots!
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2008/10/whiskey-glazed-carrots-major-league-yum/
dyslexia

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 06:38 pm
@tsarstepan,
Southern Comfort is a fruit-, spice-, and whiskey-flavored liqueur, It for damn sure ain't bourbon.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 06:40 pm
@dyslexia,
My fur paw! Shocked
ossobuco

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 06:51 pm
@dyslexia,
I've tried it, icky sweet. I suppose that is why people like it.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 06:53 pm
@tsarstepan,
Janis Joplin liked Southern Comfort REAL WELL.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 06:56 pm
@dyslexia,
I remember. So did a co worker of mine around Janis' time.
I tried it when I was trying to find something I liked when I no longer could afford expensive bourbon or scotch. Bleh.

Of course, each to his or her own.

panzade

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 07:10 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Bleh.

Yeah.
Here's a toast. Jim Beam and ice. Cheers
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 07:16 pm
@dyslexia,
Janis Joplin? That's a good enough endorsement for me.

How about a spot of Jim Beam? I've got 2/3rds of a bottle left from my dinner with several of my friends from work a couple of weeks ago. The first bottle of whiskey I have ever bought before.
dyslexia

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2010 07:22 pm
@tsarstepan,
actually Jim Beam is ok, I prefer Maker's Mark or George Dickel and on rare occasions (when I can find it) Rebel Yell. 80 proof Wild Turkey is pretty good too.