So why haven't you seen Inception yet?

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 07:34 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I actually love convoluted shoot em ups when the script is quite smart and the acting is above average like Inception.

I thought her review was a little too heavy handed in the dismissive arena. Meh! Too each her or his own.

So the film won't be winning any Nobel Prize for science or anything on that par, I still loved the film very much.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 07:58 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
I actually love convoluted shoot em ups when the script is quite smart and the acting is above average like Inception.

I thought her review was a little too heavy handed in the dismissive arena. Meh! Too each her or his own.

So the film won't be winning any Nobel Prize for science or anything on that par, I still loved the film very much.
How was the audio?

Phoenix said that the actors were inaudible.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 08:04 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
It wasn't that bad but then again they weren't spouting David Mamet lines so in the midst of a particularly action packed shoot out the dialogue was cut down to a bare minimum.

I could understand what was happening and the story kept on moving forward during the entire film was well as the action sequences.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 08:14 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
It wasn't that bad but then again they weren't spouting David Mamet lines so in the midst of a particularly action packed shoot out the dialogue was cut down to a bare minimum.

I could understand what was happening and the story kept on moving forward during the entire film was well as the action sequences.
Did u see it in IMAX ?
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 08:16 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Nope. Not available at the UA Kaufman Studios Cinema, my neighborhood cinemaplex. I didn't feel it necessary to see it on IMAX. In fact, I was unaware that it was playing at the IMAX until I looked it up after you asked whether it was on the extra-large screen format.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 08:28 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
Nope. Not available at the UA Kaufman Studios Cinema, my neighborhood cinemaplex. I didn't feel it necessary to see it on IMAX. In fact, I was unaware that it was playing at the IMAX until I looked it up after you asked whether it was on the extra-large screen format.
Well, I think I 'll throw the dice on the audio and see it in IMAX on Broadway n 68th St.
I have my mouth all set for the Profiteroles at Edgar 's Cafe.

Have u ever tried that place ?
Good for desserts.

David
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 08:31 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I haven't the opportunity to try the cafe. I will most certainly give it a whirl in the next week or two.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 09:40 pm
A couple of weeks ago, they were playing the film in a few of the rooms of the megaplex in 3-D. Missed that one, but I don 't think that it would have added to the enjoyment of the meat of the movie, which IMO, is the story line.

As far as the audio is concerned (and I have good hearing) in many places the dialogue was just about drowned out by the background noise.

I would have loved to see that movie made by a really good writer of screenplays, and a director with a lighter hand. Damn, it had so much potential!
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 10:08 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix32890 wrote:
A couple of weeks ago, they were playing the film in a few of the rooms of the megaplex in 3-D. Missed that one, but I don 't think that it would have added to the enjoyment of the meat of the movie, which IMO, is the story line.

As far as the audio is concerned (and I have good hearing) in many places the dialogue was just about drowned out by the background noise.

I would have loved to see that movie made by a really good writer of screenplays, and a director with a lighter hand. Damn, it had so much potential!

Some movies have re-makes in future years.
I called the Sony IMAX theater at Broadway n 68th St;
thay said thay offer earfones for better audio.

I 'll probably see it; just not take the adventure seriously.

David
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 11:41 am
@tsarstepan,
This dog has just seen Inception...

http://posterous.com/getfile/files.posterous.com/temp-2010-08-09/qqxyaIseiIwzHrturlHxkAnhswjzwyoxjuyAeIldFeiJoGGAvdgyznHiaEec/XNgsZ.jpeg.scaled1000.jpg
mm25075

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 02:11 pm
I found the dream within a dream stuff to be good, but a bit linear. My dreams are not quite so realistic in terms of what happens and I was expecting a bit more 'fantasy'.

the whole audience groaned at the end when the scene cut. I discussed that with the one I went to see the movie with and we could not reach agreement on it.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 02:57 pm
@mm25075,
If you want a realistic ... um in terms of nonlinear depiction of dreams ... the best film on dreams and dreaming is the lesser known Akira Kurosawa's film from 1990, Dreams.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100998/
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 10 Aug, 2010 02:58 pm
@Irishk,
Irishk wrote:

This dog has just seen Inception...

http://posterous.com/getfile/files.posterous.com/temp-2010-08-09/qqxyaIseiIwzHrturlHxkAnhswjzwyoxjuyAeIldFeiJoGGAvdgyznHiaEec/XNgsZ.jpeg.scaled1000.jpg

Poor poor puppy.... Sad

Somebody needs to put in the DVD of Babe or something along those lines....
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 08:01 am
I'm going to go see it @ noon today.

haven't been reading much of this thread, to avoid preconceptions on inceptions.

will be back.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 08:09 am
@chai2,
A great school of Australian philosophers once remarked...
Quote:
For those about to rock / Fire / We salute you

Angus Young and his school of philosophy, ACDC

I hope you enjoy the film Chai!
chai2

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 02:54 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

A great school of Australian philosophers once remarked...
Quote:
For those about to rock / Fire / We salute you

Angus Young and his school of philosophy, ACDC

I hope you enjoy the film Chai!

oh man, that was great!

Side note, I really got into the the dream where there was snow/ice etc.

A while back I had a dream where, for some reason, we had to blow up this entire mountain. The mountain was called appropriately enough "Snow Mountain."

I was one of the engineers, and was making a last check on all the timers on the explosives, which where placed all over the mountain.

I was just finishing up, when I see a bunch of kittens pop up out of the snow, oblivilous to their danger.
"OH NO! I MUST GET THE KITTENS OFF OF SNOW MOUNTAIN!!!"

As I gathered this group up, I realized the ENTIRE mountain was populated with kittens; living under snow bushes, in snow depressions, up in snow trees, etc.

"GET DOWN, GET DOWN! I NEED EVERYONE TO GET DOWN OFF SNOW MOUNTAIN. THE EXPLOSIVES ARE GOING TO GO OFF IN 7 MINUTES AND 32 SECONDS!!!"

No sooner would I get one batch of kittens off the mountain, when a dozen others would pop up their heads. Turning to them, the first kittens would scamper off, back up onto Snow Mountain.

No need to tell you what kind of state I was in.

The mountain in Inception raised great emotions in me.

http://www.kingswinch.co.uk/kittens/3815-Kitten-Snow.jpg
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 15 Aug, 2010 11:46 pm
@chai2,
The quality of the audio has been impugned.

How well coud u hear the show ?

David
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 04:06 am
@chai2,
What a cool coincidence. Sorry about the potential PTSD from rewitnessing snow mountain on the big screen. Razz

Oh dear!! Poor snow kittens on snow mountain!! Crying or Very sad Will someone please think of the poor snow kittens?? <<<wringing hands>>>

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2010 05:51 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

The quality of the audio has been impugned.

How well coud u hear the show ?

David

I thought the audio was fine.

I guess during shoot outs you couldn't hear the dialogue as well, but, in all the shootouts I've been in, I couldn't hear a thing.

Anyway, I don't feel I missed anything important in the way of dialogue, because of noise. A couple of times things were moving so fast I didn't quite have time to absorb it, but, that's what DVD's are for (rewind, huh? rewind)

Maybe I'm going to deep and personal here, but here goes....

At the end, when the rich guy discovers what was in his personal safe, and what his father said to him?

Well, that was all well and good, except that those thoughts were only what he wished would have happened. We have no idea what his father said at the end.
Certainly that was not enough reason to act the on implanted idea IMO.

When my father died, my cousin came up to me and told me that she had visited my father shortly before he died. She told me he had said to her that he had some regrets. When she told me that, she looked at me really meaningfully. She (and everyone) knew that the 2 of us had no relationship to speak of.

For a while afterwards, I would wonder "What regrets did he have? Was one of them that he didn't approach me and tell me his regrets re our relationship?"

Then I realized that was just my cousins sappy interpretation being projected onto me. He could have just as well regreted any number of things, none of wish had to do with me.

Dreams are a means of examining our feelings about something, but may not be the best means for a plan of action, since our feelings may not jive with reality.

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 01:07 pm
@tsarstepan,
Cheesy but effective spoof on Inception:
http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/08/watch_inebriation_an_alcohol-d.html
0 Replies