So why haven't you seen Inception yet?

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 03:27 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

tsarstepan wrote:
I think you'd appreciate the firearms in the film OMDavid....
Were thay nice ones ?

Mostly standard issue action fare handguns but some of the machine guns were potently Nice!
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 04:19 pm
@snood,
Yeah, those three levels of consciousness had both my wife and I baffled.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 04:24 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I subscribe to basic Netflix, and I'm very happy with it. Sometimes I ask for lonnnnnng movies, though, and then they sit around waiting for me to watch them. But I have a queue - that is, a list - for them to send me immediately after I send one back. Well, on basic, I get two dvds a month, and I'm slower than that. It isn't much more, though, to get other more prolific dvd sending, including immediate watch (whatever they call it, instant view).

I've never had trouble from Netflix, like them a lot.

Ahem, I have no stock in the company.
djjd62

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 04:27 pm
so, when can we discuss spoilers, i mean i've not seen it yet, but i listened to an hour of spoiler filled radio the monday after it opened and might like to ask a question of those who've seen it
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 05:20 pm
@djjd62,
So, ask away.
djjd62

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 05:28 pm
@cicerone imposter,
i might have to go back and listen to the podcast again to frame the question properly

the gist seemed to be that the three people (on the show) who'd seen the film, had some differing opinions on di caprio's characters status at the end, was he still in the dream, someone wondered if he'd ever not been in the dream

as i said, the question might not be phrased right, as i haven't seen the film
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 01:07 am
@tsarstepan,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

tsarstepan wrote:
Were thay nice ones ?
tsarstepan wrote:

Mostly standard issue action fare handguns but some of the machine guns were potently Nice!
I have a .32 automatic that was allegedly used in Road To Perdition.

It shoots nice; not much recoil.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 01:11 am
@tsarstepan,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

tsarstepan wrote:
Were thay nice ones ?
tsarstepan wrote:

Any M134 .308 caliber Miniguns? Those r sweet.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 01:15 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
I subscribe to basic Netflix, and I'm very happy with it. Sometimes I ask for lonnnnnng movies, though, and then they sit around waiting for me to watch them. But I have a queue - that is, a list - for them to send me immediately after I send one back. Well, on basic, I get two dvds a month, and I'm slower than that. It isn't much more, though, to get other more prolific dvd sending, including immediate watch (whatever they call it, instant view).

I've never had trouble from Netflix, like them a lot.

Ahem, I have no stock in the company.
From Time Warner Cable, there r so many movies,
new n old, that I can 't even keep up with the High Definition ones.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 01:20 am
@tsarstepan,
Your Majesty:
Is the movie in IMAX ??

I might see it at Broadway n 68th Street,
if it is, then go to 84th Street
for the Profiteroles at Edgar 's Cafe, if its cool enuf out today.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 02:34 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

i might have to go back and listen to the podcast again to frame the question properly

the gist seemed to be that the three people (on the show) who'd seen the film, had some differing opinions on di caprio's characters status at the end, was he still in the dream, someone wondered if he'd ever not been in the dream

as i said, the question might not be phrased right, as i haven't seen the film
"Life is but a dream
It's what you make it . . . "
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 10:58 am
@djjd62,
djjd, It's not surprising that three people seeing the same film, Inception, will arrive at different conclusions. That's the way the story is framed, and we always wonder which level the participants are in all throughout the film.

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 11:23 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Your Majesty:
Is the movie in IMAX ??

I might see it at Broadway n 68th Street,
if it is, then go to 84th Street
for the Profiteroles at Edgar 's Cafe, if its cool enuf out today.

David

Apparently it is in IMAX format.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 01:12 pm
@tsarstepan,
I thought it was well crafted and detailed and had some good visuals, but for some reason I didn't enjoy it all that much. Also, I don't like movies that end on an ambiguous note. I always feel that's a cowardly way out of an ending.
shewolfnm

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 01:46 pm
@tsarstepan,
have not heard of it.
thats why
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 01:58 pm
@shewolfnm,
You perchance been living under a rock Shewolf?
http://jeffpedone.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/12.jpg
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 05:51 pm
I have not been to the movies in about 5 years. I get Blockbuster films in Blu-Ray, and I watch it on a 52" screen with various and sundry speakers. I had not seen the need to go to the movies since getting all those films at home.

I made an exception with Inception. I like psychological films, and Mr. P loves sci-fi, so I thought for sure that this would be a winner for both of us. Was I wrong! Sad

The sound effects overpowered the dialogue to the point where I had to strain to hear what the actors were saying. The constant gratuitous violence, car crashes, avalanches, constant shoot-em-ups might have been fine entertainment for a young teenager, but IMO had little interest for any thinking adult.

The movie was much too long. I could not wait until it was over. I would suspect that if one watched this film at home, at a lowered volume with closed captioning, one could make more sense about what was going on.

The premise of a dream within a dream within a dream etc. was stuff that could have been fascinating, if not delivered so heavy handedly.

There is no doubt that the special effects were spectacular, possibly Oscar material. But overloaded special effects by themselves do not a great film make.

Personally, I think that this film had the potential to be a masterpiece, with more incisive writing and a lot of editing. I think that the music could have been more wisely chosen to create a much better effect. If you are a devotee of convoluted shoot 'em ups, and comic book like excesses, you will like this film. Anyone else should save his money.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 05:53 pm
@rosborne979,
I agree with that, both re movies and books. Grrrrr, in many cases.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 06:53 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I have not been to the movies in about 5 years. I get Blockbuster films in Blu-Ray, and I watch it on a 52" screen with various and sundry speakers. I had not seen the need to go to the movies since getting all those films at home.

I made an exception with Inception. I like psychological films, and Mr. P loves sci-fi, so I thought for sure that this would be a winner for both of us. Was I wrong! Sad

The sound effects overpowered the dialogue to the point where I had to strain to hear what the actors were saying. The constant gratuitous violence, car crashes, avalanches, constant shoot-em-ups might have been fine entertainment for a young teenager, but IMO had little interest for any thinking adult.

The movie was much too long. I could not wait until it was over. I would suspect that if one watched this film at home, at a lowered volume with closed captioning, one could make more sense about what was going on.

The premise of a dream within a dream within a dream etc. was stuff that could have been fascinating, if not delivered so heavy handedly.

There is no doubt that the special effects were spectacular, possibly Oscar material. But overloaded special effects by themselves do not a great film make.

Personally, I think that this film had the potential to be a masterpiece, with more incisive writing and a lot of editing. I think that the music could have been more wisely chosen to create a much better effect. If you are a devotee of convoluted shoot 'em ups, and comic book like excesses, you will like this film. Anyone else should save his money.

Thank u for your review!

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 06:56 pm
@tsarstepan,
Your Majesty:
do u agree with Phoenix 's review of the movie ?

David