Does death scare you? If so, What aspect of death scares you?

Ionus

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2010 07:23 am
I have tried to resuscitate dead people...they never tell you about the taste when you learn CPR...it takes a long time to mentally not have the taste in your mouth. That was more disturbing then thoughts of my death.

But really, even babies have died...how hard can it be for you people who are scared of it ? When my youngest son is 18, I plan on dying.

I know of one old couple who in their 80's had good health, though they worried about when their health would end, neither wanted to live without the other, so they prepared their family over a period of months, then one day after arranging all their affairs, they laid down on a temporoary bed on the lounge floor and took an overdose of sleeping pills. Love and courage...rare qualities these days.

I prefer the classic of falling on your sword. A large knife through the left side of the chest should do it.

Whether it scares you or not, it is coming....
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2010 05:26 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:
I have tried to resuscitate dead people...they never tell you about the taste when you learn CPR...it takes a long time to mentally not have the taste in your mouth. That was more disturbing then thoughts of my death.

But really, even babies have died...how hard can it be for you people who are scared of it ? When my youngest son is 18,
I plan on dying.

I know of one old couple who in their 80's had good health, though they worried about when their health would end, neither wanted to live without the other, so they prepared their family over a period of months, then one day after arranging all their affairs, they laid down on a temporoary bed on the lounge floor and took an overdose of sleeping pills. Love and courage...rare qualities these days.

I prefer the classic of falling on your sword. A large knife through the left side of the chest should do it.
That's unnecessarily painful and not imaginative,
but people who have returned from suicide have complained of hellish conditions. I don 't recommend it.

David
Ionus

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 02:15 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
I don 't recommend it.
Suicide is a shortening of life and a welcoming of the inevitable. If you are terrified of dying, than it is horrific. If you are in pain or terminally ill than it is not terrifying but logical.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2010 06:03 am
@Ionus,
Quote:
I don 't recommend it.
Ionus wrote:

Suicide is a shortening of life and a welcoming of the inevitable.
If you are terrified of dying, than it is horrific.
If you are in pain or terminally ill than it is not terrifying but logical.
People who have returned to human life from death
have told of losing their fear of death, after thay went thru it.
Ionus

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 12:36 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
I have been resuscitated 3 times, once with rather life altering experiences. No lights, no meeting dead relatives, just a profound realisation of what life and death is.
ellaurenne

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 01:03 am
@anil m,
The part of death that scares me is that once I'm dead I don't exist anwhere except in my ideas that I have left behind. I fear that when I die I won't have made a difference in anything. I fear that I will he forgotten and that is why I live. If you are forgotten it is as if you never e xisted thus takibg away the point of life for me. Bu more so I fear death because I am on a search for knowledge and once I die I can no longer learn. I dear dying in ignorance.
0 Replies

ellaurenne

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 01:06 am
@dlowan,
Once you are dead you experience nothing. You will have no feelings so if you are going to look at it like that there is no reason to fear death, it is life that you fear, or the approach of an untimely life ending
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 02:35 am
@Ionus,
I think all we can say about death with any certainty is that it's a change. A lot of people are afraid of change. A lot of people aren't.

My brother committed suicide. Knowing him, I think he was saying he was ready for a change and he made it happen for himself.
I'm completely at peace with his right to make this decision for himself- and though it was very sad for those of us who loved him and were left behind, I don't view it completely negatively.
Other people might not agree, but other people didn't know my brother as I did. I think it's very likely he was just as hopeful about what he was changing to as he was despondent over what he was leaving behind.
snood

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 06:02 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

I think all we can say about death with any certainty is that it's a change. A lot of people are afraid of change. A lot of people aren't.

My brother committed suicide. Knowing him, I think he was saying he was ready for a change and he made it happen for himself.
I'm completely at peace with his right to make this decision for himself- and though it was very sad for those of us who loved him and were left behind, I don't view it completely negatively.
Other people might not agree, but other people didn't know my brother as I did. I think it's very likely he was just as hopeful about what he was changing to as he was despondent over what he was leaving behind.

Can you clarify a little further what you see as not negative about your brother commiting suicide?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 06:25 am
@Ionus,
Quote:
Ionus wrote:
I have been resuscitated 3 times, once with rather life altering experiences.
No lights, no meeting dead relatives, just a profound realisation of what life and death is.
The majority of people who r rescued from death in hospitals,
have no memory thereof. Some who have had multiple deaths,
such as yourself, remembered some of them, from a live perspective;
for instance, seeing their relatives in the waiting room of the hospital, while decedents r in surgery.
Some people have been disinherited because of untoward n impolitic remarks uttered during decedent 's state of death,
when he observed such remarks in said waiting room, in a disembodied condition.

I died 2ice, during surgery and I have no memory of either
of those deaths, but I remember having some out-of-body experiences,
while on-the-job in court and elsewhere. I rather liked them. Thay were FUN, tho of short duration.
Some people who 've been rescued have come back irate, complaining
of the doctor that thay were content and did not wish to be re-incarnated.
It has been compared to "being put back in jail."

Accordingly, its ez for me to envision doing the same thing again,
after my human body has worn out.

In about 3 weeks, I 'm going a convention of people in Denver, who have returned from death
and of medical personnel who assisted them, or who r active in researching survival of death. www.IANDS.org
I will be pleased to have 2 lunches with medical doctors who 've published their research on this subject.

I like Denver.

David
aidan

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 12:24 pm
@snood,
Quote:
Can you clarify a little further what you see as not negative about your brother commiting suicide?

My brother was the youngest of six. He was deprived of oxygen during his birth and suffered brain damage. My parents were told he would only be trainable, but in fact, he did turn out to be educable, and by working very, very hard, did learn to read and write- he got a driver's license, he could drive a car, he held a job.
He was not very socially adept, but was intelligent enough to know that people could tell he was different, and treated him differently. School was tough for him - he took a lot of teasing. Work was tough for him - he took a lot of teasing there too. I guess he figured out that some people never grow up and no matter how old he got - teasing would be a fact of his life.

He was still living with my parents at the age of 25. All of the rest of us had gone to college, gotten married and had begun having children. He was a lovely and loving person whom I know (because he told me) would have liked to have been able to have gotten married and had children of his own. I think he felt that this was an impossibility for him - and realistically - it probably was. I think he was very lonely.

Though his suicide was devastating for all of us- especially my mother and father- as we all loved him dearly - I think he probably felt that he was saving himself a long and protracted life of loneliness. Obviously he couldn't face that. I'm glad he didn't have to, if he felt that he couldn't.

I have never been angry at him or thought that what he did was selfish. I think he tried as hard as he possibly could have in his life, achieved more than was ever expected of him (my parents were told he'd never talk - much less read- and were advised to institutionalize him) and I don't know that given the same circumstances to deal with that I'd have done any better.

If he achieved some peace - I can't look at what he did as completely negative.
snood

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 03:54 pm
@aidan,
Thanks for your reply, Aidan. Although it does make things clearer, I know I couldn't really understand what losing your brother was like without being you. Your brother sounds like one heck of a person. I'm sorry for your loss.
aidan

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2010 04:48 pm
@snood,
Thank you Snood.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 06:48 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I also have had out of body experiences. In one instance, from my bed several miles away, I slugged a good friend who fell out of bed. When his brother ( a bottom bunk dweller) asked what he thought he was doing, he replied that I had punched him. As soon as I saw him the next morning at school I told him how I "dreamt" I had hit him and he told me how he had "dreamt" I had hit him too. His brother verified events. It adds interest to the theory that a poltergeist is a troubled teenager in the area.
Caroline

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2010 08:07 pm
@anil m,
anil m wrote:

Most people are scared of it-but what exactly happens at death?
Nobody knows what happens at death, people just seem to whither away. The only aspect of death that scares me is if it comes before I'm old and grey, if it comes too soon.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 01:29 am
@Caroline,
anil m wrote:

Most people are scared of it-but what exactly happens at death?
Caroline wrote:
Nobody knows what happens at death, people just seem to whither away.
The only aspect of death that scares me is if it comes before I'm old and grey, if it comes too soon.
The people who have gone thru it,
KNOW WHAT HAPPENS. Early next month, I 'm going to their convention
in Denver. www.IANDS.org I like Denver.

The ex-dead people will have lots of fun.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 01:34 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:
I also have had out of body experiences. In one instance, from my bed several miles away, I slugged a good friend who fell out of bed. When his brother ( a bottom bunk dweller) asked what he thought he was doing, he replied that I had punched him. As soon as I saw him the next morning at school I told him how I "dreamt" I had hit him and he told me how he had "dreamt" I had hit him too. His brother verified events. It adds interest to the theory that a poltergeist is a troubled teenager in the area.
Truly, that is very interesting, Ionus. I 'll remember it. Thanx for sharing that.

It woud be fun, if u attended the convention in Denver next month.

David
Ionus

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 07:04 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
It woud be fun, if u attended the convention in Denver next month.
Sorry Big Bad Dave, it would be fun if I had more money. We dont take care of our wounded veterans. An ex-wife got all my money and I struggle with 4 kids living at home. If only we could choose who we hit in our dreams..... Very Happy
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 07:05 pm
@Caroline,
Quote:
Nobody knows what happens at death
I know what happens at death, I dont know the details. There is life after death.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 04:38 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:
Quote:
Nobody knows what happens at death
I know what happens at death, I dont know the details. There is life after death.
and before it