Drowning looks different tan you think

chai2

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 11:15 am
Drowning looks different than you think
by ModernMom, on Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:19am

Think drowning involves screaming, gasping, and flailing? Think it’s easy to notice someone drowning? Well, you’re wrong. Drowning is a silent killer. There’s no splashing, waving, or calling for help of any kind. It's not like what you see on TV. Many people would not even notice another person drowning at just 30 yards away. Read on for tips on how to keep yourself and those you love safe from this silent killer whether at the beach or in your backyard pool.

The Facts About this Silent Killer
The Instinctive Drowning Response, a term coined by Francesco A. Pia, Ph.D., is what people instinctively do to avoid suffocation when drowning. The responses to drowning are undramatic and surprisingly quiet. Drownings are the leading cause of injury death for young children ages 1 to 4. Even scarier is that in a small but significant percentage of kids' drownings, an adult will have watched the whole process, not having a clue what was happening (Source:CDC).

Drowning Doesn't Look Like What You'd Expect
Dr. Pia, in an article entitled "It Doesn't Look Like They're Drowning" featured in the Coast Guard’s On Scene Magazine (Fall 06), describes the typical drowning response as follows: "Except in rare circumstances, drowning people are physiologically unable to call out for help. The respiratory system was designed for breathing. Speech is the secondary or overlaid function. Breathing must be fulfilled before speech occurs. Drowning people’s mouths alternately sink below and reappear above the surface of the water. The mouth of a drowning person is not above the surface of the water long enough to exhale, inhale, and call out for help. When the drowning person’s mouth is above the surface, she exhales and inhales quickly as her mouth starts to sink below the surface of the water. Drowning people cannot wave for help. Nature instinctively forces them to extend their arms laterally and press down on the water’s surface. Pressing down on the surface of the water permits drowning people to leverage their bodies so they can lift their mouths out of the water to breathe. Throughout the Instinctive Drowning Response drowning people cannot voluntarily control their arm movements. Physiologically, drowning people who are struggling on the surface of the water cannot stop drowning and perform voluntary movements such as waving for help, moving toward a rescuer, or reaching out for a piece of rescue equipment. From beginning to end of the Instinctive Drowning Response people’s bodies remain upright in the water, with no evidence of a supporting kick. Unless rescued by a trained lifeguard, these drowning people can only struggle on the surface of the water from 20 to 60 seconds before submersion occurs."

Signs of Drowning
Watch for these signs the next time you’re swimming with your kids or others:

Head low in the water, mouth at water level
Head tilted back with open mouth
Hair over forehead or eyes
Eyes glassy, empty and unable to focus
Eyes closed
Hyperventilating or gasping
Not using legs
Body is vertical and upright
Trying to swim in a certain direction but not making progress
Trying to roll over on the back

Stay Aware to Save a Life
Keep your eyes open for any oddities because even when things seem ok, they may not be. A good way to be sure is to ask your kid or the person you’re swimming with if he or she is all right. If they are rather still, do not answer or have a blank stare, then you may have less than 30 seconds to get to them! As any parent knows, kids make noise in the water. If they are not making noise, find out why and get them out of the water ASAP.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 1,472 • Replies: 9
No top replies

panzade

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 11:23 am
Thanks for this timely warning chai. Every summer brings tragedy to many families across our country. And the sad thing is, some of these incidents could be prevented.

When I was 16 and working as a lifeguard I walked by a kid in the shallow end with his head back, his eyes open and a toy truck in his hand. I passed by and then did a double take.

His mouth was 6 inches below the water line. Luckily I jumped in and pulled him out. I held him by his feet and smacked him on the back and he started breathing after expelling a lungful of water.

The symptoms of drowning are indeed hard to spot.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 02:30 pm
@chai2,
My one experience with a potential drowning was also silent. My friend and I (about tween age) were in my backyard pool - it was about 3 and half feet above ground pool and my friend could swim quite well so you would think no worries about drowing.

For some reason she sort of slunk down in the water near my legs, I looked down and she was just under water not moving. Instinctively I grabbed her and pulled her up. She started gasping and spitting out water. She said she couldn't explain it - she went under and for whatever reason was not able to get up.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 02:43 pm
@chai2,
Good and timely reminder.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 03:29 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

My one experience with a potential drowning was also silent. My friend and I (about tween age) were in my backyard pool - it was about 3 and half feet above ground pool and my friend could swim quite well so you would think no worries about drowing.

For some reason she sort of slunk down in the water near my legs, I looked down and she was just under water not moving. Instinctively I grabbed her and pulled her up. She started gasping and spitting out water. She said she couldn't explain it - she went under and for whatever reason was not able to get up.

The other day I went to the pool. It was relatively empty at that time.

These 2 little boys, about 4 were playing on the steps leading down (there's a ladder, and these broad non-permanent steps, with a handrail.
I said "excuse me" and they moved over to let me pass. I stepped down to where the third (and last) step was......and it wasn't.

So, I'm tilting gracefully Rolling Eyes , falling in elegant slow motion, with plenty of time to think "Wha....?"
I felt my ankle come against a metal bar, and not wanting to get more tangled up, I let go of the handrail and sort of phulumfed into the water.

That's what made me think of your friend linkat, the fact that I was only in 3 1/2 feet of water. I could totally see where there was a chance something weird could have happened to a person where they couldn't get up.

When I did stand up, surprised, one of the boys very seriously told me "One of those stairs is broken"

Thanks Chief.

There was an elderly couple, both in their 70's sitting nearby, dangling their legs, and one of them made a comment about being glad they hadn't tried to get in the pool yet.
Yeah, who knows what might have happened.

I told the lifeguard, who said she'd do something. Then, maybe 15 minutes later, I heard a "whoa!" and looked over. The same thing happened to a guy.....who happened to be holding his maybe 9 month old in his arms. They both went under.

Well, I raised a little hell then, I can tell you.

Stair was reattached.

yeah, you don't know what might happen.

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 04:11 pm

OK, if u r in that situation,
and the lifeguard asks
whether u r a Democrat or a Republican,
how shoud u proceed ?
djjd62

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 04:16 pm
perhaps my favourite poem

Not Waving But Drowning
Stevie Smith

Nobody heard him, the dead man,
But still he lay moaning:
I was much further out than you thought
And not waving but drowning.

Poor chap, he always loved larking
And now he's dead
It must have been too cold for him his heart gave way,
They said.

Oh, no no no, it was too cold always
(Still the dead one lay moaning)
I was much too far out all my life
panzade

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 04:35 pm
@djjd62,
Quote:
I was much too far out all my life

I love that line
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 04:57 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Get out your gun, obviously!! Need you ask?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2010 06:05 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:
Get out your gun, obviously!! Need you ask?
Yeah, u gotta put its floatation pontoons on it, b4 u get in.
0 Replies