Removing A Lawn Mower Flywheel

CDobyns

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2010 08:59 pm
I have a 22" Murray lawn mower that I'm nearly certain has broken the connecting to the piston and crankshaft. I'm pretty handy and I'm sure I can replace the connecting rod and have already removed the engine from the lawn mower chassis and have pulled the spark plug and the head cylinder and released the bolts from the oil sump.

The part I'm a little unsure of is that now that I've removed the flywheel cup and the locking nut, how does the flywheel actually come off, what is essentially the top of the drive shaft? I can't tell if the flywheel screws down onto the same screw threads that held the locking nut, or if the flywheel is just held in place laterally by the locking nut and a slotted locking "key" along the driveshaft.

My engine model is a Briggs & Stratton 10H902-0216-E1, and I've seen a parts schematic diagram at http://www.ereplacementparts.com/briggs-stratton-10h900-series-engine-parts-c-16758_17347_22174.html

Does anyone have any experience with these flywheels or can offer any advice on removing the flywheel? After that I believe the upper cylinder assembly should just come apart from the oil sump assembly with a couple of taps of a hammer.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 3,631 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2010 09:16 pm
@CDobyns,
I mostly don't do mowers, I work on cars.

but...

I will be over at my mower guy's tomorrow to have him look at a big chainsaw.

I'll ask him and check back.
CDobyns

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2010 07:56 am
@Rockhead,
Okay, since the grass has had a week to grow higher due to the rain we got earlier this week (darn old grass), I've got to go back to work on this connecting rod problem this weekend. So I've done my regular thing, and made a further attempt to answer my own question - and with a little help from the guys over at eHow, I think I've got the answer.

The relevant answer seems to be found in their article How to Get a Flywheel Off a Lawn Mower Engine. Although I haven't gone out to the garage to give it a try, it looks like I just need to use a gear puller-type tool, and laterally pull the flywheel off the driveshaft, by counterrotating the center puller tool bolt down against the top of the driveshaft. And the flywheel should just gradually lift off. Finger crossed.

Unless someone thinks differently, this will be be my likely strategy. I'll try to remember (at some point) to come back and post a confirmatory follow-up trumpeting my success.
0 Replies