Are Philosophy Forum former members students

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 08:59 pm
I suspect most of the PF people are students. Maybe I should ignore them as they post very provocative thread without any regard for reality.

Razzleg

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 11:52 pm
@talk72000,
I am not a student, in the formal sense. I graduated from college with a BA in 1999. I continue to consider myself a student, however, since I consider myself to still be studying...rather than reaching some rather preemptive conclusions.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 12:22 am
@talk72000,
I thought that at first (I took them as seventeen, a good age) and then I learned differently. That they weren't seventeen.

Of course, I'm no philo major.

Let me plug a book I'm reading, that is by a philo professor -

I don't know myself if I will continue to be interested, but so far, so good:
Night Train to Lisbon, by Pascal Mercier (I think - I'm still not clear on the author). I'm on page 57.

So far, I'm engaged. It may be that you need to be middle aged to get engrossed.
http://www.amazon.com/Night-Train-Lisbon-Pascal-Mercier/dp/0802118585

kennethamy

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 12:30 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I thought that at first (I took them as seventeen, a good age) and then I learned differently. That they weren't seventeen.

Night Train to Lisbon, by Pascal Mercier (I think - I'm still not clear on the author). I'm on page 57.

So far, I'm engaged. It may be that you need to be middle aged to get engrossed.

I just read a few of the reviews of the novel on Amazon. It sounds just dreadful.
GoshisDead

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 12:34 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

ossobuco wrote:

I just read a few of the reviews of the novel on Amazon. It sounds just dreadful.

Are you in a battle or something for the most ignored person on the forum?
kennethamy

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 12:49 am
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead wrote:

kennethamy wrote:

ossobuco wrote:

Are you in a battle or something for the most ignored person on the forum?

No point in just lashing out because you have nothing intelligent to say, just because you are angry. By the way, read a few of the reviews, and see whether you don't agree. The novel seems to be a typical attempt by a Continental (seems to be French) to write novel with some kind of philosophical message. All of them turn out to be a disaster. Even one favorable review warns, "approach this book with caution". And the title (which promises some kind of mystery) is utterly misleading.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 01:08 am
@kennethamy,
I take him as living in Germany, born in Bern.

I may not engage much past the pages I'm reading, but so far, it's interesting.

It borders on boring - we'll see. I'm not as interested as the protagonist in the small tome that is his treasure. If he insists on quoting it throughout, I'll stop with the book.

As you get to know me, I can be curt. On the other hand, the premise interests me, about changing one's life in mid age. I'm giving it a bit of room.

I can make it through 900 page books, but also do a toss. I'm not sure on this one.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 01:11 am
@ossobuco,
But wait, I should just take amazon reviews for what I'll read?
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 01:11 am
@ossobuco,
Amen why pursue a non-interest.
wayne

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 01:17 am
@talk72000,
talk72000 wrote:

I suspect most of the PF people are students. Maybe I should ignore them as they post very provocative thread without any regard for reality.

By student, in the context you have used, I must assume you mean formally seeking education. I am certain there are many who fit that description, but far from all. The learning process can continue beyond formal education for those who choose.
We do, however, learn very little by only listening to what we want to hear.
A good argument ie debate stimulates growth.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 01:21 am
@GoshisDead,
Was that to me? I'm not at all sure it's a non interest, thus I read it. Interesting premise, if I apprehend it, but I stopped dead with the doldrum pages. I'll give it more of a chance. I predict I'll drop it. But, I don't know that yet.
GoshisDead

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 01:33 am
@ossobuco,
I got that way with Les Miserables, took me 7 years to read it because it got boring and I put it down for a few months.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 01:43 am
@GoshisDead,
So, was Les Miserable worth it?
GoshisDead

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 02:19 am
@ossobuco,
Meh, the play was better. hence why I said amen to not pursuing non-interests.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 02:31 am
@GoshisDead,
I understand. I'm not sure I'm not interested in this book yet.

Me being me, I'll post if I give up on it, probably shortly. This reminds me of the Danube book, by Claudio Magris. The book was falling apart as I got it, and only got more falling apart. It's now one of my favorite books of the last several years. I was sort of wailing as I started to read it, even more so about a quarter the way through. I finally gave in to it, fascinated.
dlowan

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 02:37 am
@talk72000,
talk72000 wrote:

Or you could stop the generalising and take their threads as they come. Hell, you might learn something.
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 10:47 am
@ossobuco,
Now I'm intrigued. Please do post on your reading experience so that I might better make a decision about the time expenditure of reading the book too.
kennethamy

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 12:27 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead wrote:

Meh, the play was better. hence why I said amen to not pursuing non-interests.

The trouble is that the play was only about the main story. But the book encompasses French history and the culture of the times. The play is a dumbed down version of the the book. A kind of Harry Potter version.
GoshisDead

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 12:58 pm
@kennethamy,
Indeed Ken, and why it was better, I could have easily done without the protracted waterloo pages.
kennethamy

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2010 01:40 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead wrote:

Indeed Ken, and why it was better, I could have easily done without the protracted waterloo pages.

I found those the most fascinating in the entire novel. As I did in War and Peace. But then I am interested in military as well as social history.
0 Replies