should kids be aloud more food at daycare?....

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 09:27 pm
A daycare in wisconsin has a rule that kids cant ask for seconds at lunch...to start out they get half a sandwich (if they are 6 they get a whole one) and a little boy asked for more ,but the teacher said no, some of the kids are at the daycare for eight (or more) hours a day and leave the table hungry.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,585 • Replies: 10
No top replies

BarbieQPickle

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 02:31 am
@dancerdoll,
I'm sure they get snacks in between, does it mention that? Secondly if parents aren't happy with how much food their kid gets at daycare then maybe they should find a daycare that allows the parents to pack their own lunch. Thirdly, some kids aren't even still hungry they just want more food to have more food. Look outside all I see is fat people.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 06:12 am
More info needed.

Was the child obese or on a special diet?

Was the child offered seconds on other lunch items, but just wanted the sandwich?

In any case, the parents need to find out what happened and the reason for the refusal to fill the child's request.

"Take all you want, but eat all you take" is a concept that needs to be learned.

PS: the word is 'allowed'
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 06:25 am
I think that's silly. Provided the child actually eats the second helping.

If my daycare told my kid she couldn't have more, I'd be really mad. That's one of the things you pay for when you pay for daycare. Unless it is specifically not included in your payment.
aidan

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2010 06:43 am
@Bella Dea,
I was thinking the same thing. And half a sandwich for lunch (for anyone under six) sounds a little stingy. What, no fruit or yogurt or anything else in addition?

That reminds me of a daycare I worked at after school when I was in highschool and we'd make peanut butter and honey sandwiches for snack and the lady would come behind me with a knife and scrape all the peanut butter off the bread saying, 'Don't put so much on - this jar has to last the week'.
BarbieQPickle

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 01:19 am
My friend has been a teacher at a daycare for 7 years (I'm in FL). The parents pack the kids their own lunch and snacks and everyday they get lunch at a certain time, and snacks at a certain time. So, if people are complaining about how much food there kid gets like I said, don't take them to that daycare plain and simple.
aidan

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 02:18 am
@BarbieQPickle,
Yeah - that's great if it's an option. But what about someplace like Head Start where the child is attending that specific daycare because they are from a low-income family and the parents may not have the option of packing lunches and snacks or moving their child to another daycare.

Nutrition and/or adequate caloric intake is very important in the development of good physical health and intellectual functioning at this age.
Half a sandwich for a child under the age of six is not sufficient for lunch. And if a kid says he's still hungry- he's probably still hungry- which means he hasn't had a snack before lunch.

Unless the child is clinically obsese and obviously has a problem with the hunger 'off switch' which tells someone when they've had enough to eat - I'd listen to him if he said he was still hungry.

It's sort of sad to think that anyone thinks an answer to this is to just switch daycares or pack more food from home, as if this is an option for every parent or child. There are a lot of kids for whom this isn't an option and they might be sitting there hungry- with no one trying to find a solution for them.
That sucks.
BarbieQPickle

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 02:56 am
@aidan,
Yep, I agree it does suck. But don't have a kid you can't afford, and if the daycare places aren't giving them enough food and etc. report it to the better business bureau, because there is obviously a problem if they are truly depriving kids of food that they need especially when they are young and growing. And no a half of sandwich for 8 hours is literally nothing, may as well not eat at all. I feel bad for anyone that is forced into this situation, but I just really don't see how anyone is forced into this situation.
aidan

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 02:57 am
@BarbieQPickle,
The children are forced into the situation. Judging their parents doesn't help the kids who are hungry.
0 Replies

dancerdoll

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2010 01:31 am
@Bella Dea,
thank you bella thats what i have been trying to say.. they are used to being able to ask for more ..but the lady that runs the place made the rule because the last lady ran the place very poorly and almost ran it into the ground ( I think she is trying to prove a point.) also do you know if there are any state rules that you have to give them more?
thanks,
doll
0 Replies

dancerdoll

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2010 01:33 am
@aidan,
WOW what are people thinking ...if the peanut butter runs out just go buy more ! thank you aiden for the support!
0 Replies