Everybody Doesn't Love Raymond Anymore

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 06:34 pm
I love Curb Your Enthusiasm.....clever....
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 07:59 pm
Like Seifeld's characters, Larry David is too funny in Curb you Enthusiasm, but I'd hate to have him as a neighbour.
I really like a show called This hour has 22 minutes.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 08:23 pm
I think if Larry David moved in next to me we'd get along pretty well.....two Lords of Angst.....
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 08:28 pm
Rick Mercer rocks. I was sad to see him leave 22 Minutes, but Made in Canada is awesome.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 08:32 pm
Just saw him at Juste pour Rire/ Just for Laughs road show. I couldn't breathe after the show.
Made in Canada is so funny, not to mention...
shhhhh talking to americanshhhhhh
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 08:57 pm
When Raymond was a new show I did not like to watch it. Later, when it went into reruns I suddenly discovered it and have watched just about all the episodes now. Now I'm tired of it.
Very often I will ignore a show like that, and then discover later that it is pretty good. Other examples are Fresh Prince of Bellaire and The Hughleys.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 04:44 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I think if Larry David moved in next to me we'd get along pretty well.....two Lords of Angst.....

I think I'd get on well with him too, because in real life, the dysfunctional, screwballs, and those with too much creativity than is good for them tend to gravitate towards me...

I think that 'Fresh Prince' (I almost wrote 'French prance' then) died when they replaced the mother with another actress in an instant. The new mother was rarely funny.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 05:14 am
I find most US sitcoms to be garbage. But I find most things on television to be garbage now.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 05:38 am
Is it just my white liberal guilt, or does anyone else find most of the new 'urban' sitcoms derivative, insulting, and devoid of any depth whatsoever? The Jefferson's, Sanford and Son, and All in the Family used stereotypes as weapons, with pointed messages all wrapped up into a half-hour. Sigh...I suppose most of my favorite sitcoms were written in the 70s. And I HATE That 70's Show!!! Can we officially arrest Ashton Kutcher now just for being annoying? I have a soft spot for Hyde, for being such a ****, but sitting through a whole episode is painful.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 05:45 am
cavfancier wrote:
Is it just my white liberal guilt, or does anyone else find most of the new 'urban' sitcoms derivative, insulting, and devoid of any depth whatsoever? The Jefferson's, Sanford and Son, and All in the Family used stereotypes as weapons, with pointed messages all wrapped up into a half-hour. Sigh...I suppose most of my favorite sitcoms were written in the 70s. And I HATE That 70's Show!!! Can we officially arrest Ashton Kutcher now just for being annoying yet? I have a soft spot for Hyde, for being such a ****, but sitting through a whole episode is painful.
Yes! I totally agree with you.

That 70s show is so people who didn't even see the seventies trying too hard to reenact them (badly.) I completely agree with you; most new shows are just clichéd the minute that they are produced (with such gems as 'Curb your enthusiasm' and 'Little Britain' being two of the few contradictions to this rule that I can consider. They're playing a few jokes down, over and over again.

The sad thing is, the average A2Ker would be able to come up with something better than what's being produced at the moment.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 05:51 am
What I really hate is the predictability. Most of the time, from the situation they create, you know exactly what the next line, the next action is going to be.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 05:56 am
Wilso wrote:
What I really hate is the predictability. Most of the time, from the situation they create, you know exactly what the next line, the next action is going to be.
That's exactly how I feel; the whole scenario means that they recycle jokes and themes from one week and put them into another. Often, six or seven episodes can seem absolutely identical.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 06:07 am
dròm_et_rêve wrote:

The sad thing is, the average A2Ker would be able to come up with something better than what's being produced at the moment.

I KNOW that to be the case. I've seen a couple of group stories, written by a selection of some of the more articulate members here and back on abuzz, and they were great.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 06:09 am
Sometimes, when Mrs. cav just wants to unwind and be mindless, she puts on some of these shows, and I fill in half the dialogue while it's happening. Then she asks "Did you see this already?" NO, I didn't, it's just that predictable. Laughing
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 06:10 am
Now, I could watch The Simpsons ad nauseum. Very clever show.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 06:15 am
Me too Cav.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 06:20 am
Wilso wrote:
dròm_et_rêve wrote:

I KNOW that to be the case. I've seen a couple of group stories, written by a selection of some of the more articulate members here and back on abuzz, and they were great.

That's absolutely true, Wilso... and even when there isn't a story, there's always humour and unpredictability here. But when you see things in market terms, do you think a network would even consider airing what A2K could create? (However, one could say the same thing about Frasier, Seinfeld and Curb your enthusiasm, and they're all big hits)

I was in a long conversation a while ago about American TV since the 1960s... one of the things that arose was the death of unpredictability in TV shows in the 21st Century. Someone to whom I was talking suggested that one of the reasons for decline in quality is that, whereas classics and shows like The Simpsons had a big writing crew accustomed to the characters, now groups of non-aligned writers write a joke, and producers think: 'this can go in Mad About You, this can go in Just Shoot Me, this can go in Raymond.'

I pointed to the sensation of TV shows by numbers. 'Why spend thousands of pounds on good writers, when you could just stick some attractive actors/actresses in, use preplanned jokes and make a hit like that?'
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 06:22 am
cavfancier wrote:
Sometimes, when Mrs. cav just wants to unwind and be mindless, she puts on some of these shows, and I fill in half the dialogue while it's happening. Then she asks "Did you see this already?" NO, I didn't, it's just that predictable. Laughing

I know the feeling; déjà entendu, I call it, because it's playing on things already heard.

I could watch The Simpsons (series 1 until about 11) ad nauseum, but I think it's got a bit off-track, recently. I've been a Simpsons freak since it started; the only problem is that I can tell you every word, but because the quality's so good, it doesn't matter.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sat 6 Dec, 2003 10:24 pm
I saw the opening introduction from the first show. I was originally from that area-actually Queens, which is a little different, but I went to college on Long Island. So I should have liked the show.

Flat. Nothing to it. Never understood what concept was supposed to be so fresh, what angle was supposed to be new.

There was a brief run of a show in a similar neighborhood of an Irish Catholic family some years ago named The Cavanaughs. It was similar to this, but done so much better, and the people were so much more real.

I don't hate the show, I could watch it. Nothing completely annoys me about this show. It's just got no zip at all-stock formula jokes.

When it first came on, I just expected to read about it's demise at midseason. Instead, it gets hailed as a milestone in comedy.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sun 7 Dec, 2003 05:50 am
kelticwizard wrote:
I saw the opening introduction from the first show. I was originally from that area-actually Queens, which is a little different, but I went to college on Long Island. So I should have liked the show.

Flat. Nothing to it. Never understood what concept was supposed to be so fresh, what angle was supposed to be new.

There was a brief run of a show in a similar neighborhood of an Irish Catholic family some years ago named The Cavanaughs. It was similar to this, but done so much better, and the people were so much more real.

I don't hate the show, I could watch it. Nothing completely annoys me about this show. It's just got no zip at all-stock formula jokes.

When it first came on, I just expected to read about it's demise at midseason. Instead, it gets hailed as a milestone in comedy.

People have hailed it as a milestone in comedy?

Not Equal a milestone in comedy.
*incredulous emoticon*

Now we know for sure that there have been some backstage 'favours.'
0 Replies