Everybody Doesn't Love Raymond Anymore

Roberta

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 07:17 am
I used to enjoy Everybody Loves Raymond. Lightweight but amusing. There were times when I actually laughed out loud. What happened this season? It's gone from amusing to death-defyingly unfunny. I know that aging shows tend to slip. I could understand if it were simply not as amusing. But the shows have been so bad that I turned them off.

This is supposed to be the last season. I hope it is.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 4,749 • Replies: 57
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 07:43 am
I never liked Raymond.....
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 08:02 am
I find that the character, Raymond, has become less likeable, at times downright nasty.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 11:30 am
Why are they always up for Emmy's. I mean really, there are waaayyy funnier shows that never get the nod.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 01:09 pm
I thought in the past that the show was pretty good. There aren't that many funny shows on tv. At least not any that I like. I'm thinking. Yup. Raymond is the only sit-com I watch, or used to watch.

C'est la vie.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 02:15 pm
The Emmys are all about bribery and who has slept with whom!

Everybody loves Raymond; is that that one with mail-order bride and the trucker. Oh no, it wasn't, twas the one with Ray Barone. In my humble opinion, there's too many stereotypical sitcoms by numbers, and this has disintegrated into one. I think that the best sit-com ever was Seinfeld. Part of its beauty was that it knew when to stop, unlike Frasier.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 02:26 pm
I like Curb Your Enthusiasm. I was never much into Raymond.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 02:38 pm
I love Curb Your Enthusiasm too... it has a rather 'squirming' atmosphere like The Office (English version, not the American version they're planning. It's about this completely disgusting boss -David Brent-who think's he's compassionate, and all the humour revolves around him. He's practically the mainstaple of the show.. so what do the US execs do? Take him out, completely.

We should all write and act in a show, do a few favours, and I bet you that one of us will end up with an Emmy.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 03:19 pm
there used to be a site called

http://www.jumptheshark.com

This site always picked the show that a series started to tank.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 03:21 pm
Becker, and now its cancelled.....
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 03:52 pm
Dys., what is your source for "Becker" being cancelled? Last I knew it was still going strong.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 03:53 pm
read in the paper it won't be back.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 03:56 pm
I'll be grieving with you.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 04:38 pm
jumptheshark.com is still up and running. It's a great site, but does crash once in a while.
0 Replies

bromeliad

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2003 07:38 pm
I used to watch Raymond... I noticed that the humor got meaner and less funny and haven't bothered to tune in lately. I loved Peter Boyle; he's always good. The 'Marie' character reminded me somewhat of my mother.

My favorite comedies now are Malcolm in the Middle, Scrubs, and King of the Hill.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 12:22 pm
Yeah, Jump the Shark is a great website, McGinley alert being especially amusing; my rants are there for all to see. I thought that Scrubs jumped the shark in the second series, but I might be alone in saying that.

What do you all think should be cancelled?
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 12:34 pm
I could never stand Raymonds voice for more than a minute or two ... it is very irritating.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 12:45 pm
I have decided for the sake of being more well rounded to give up television in favor of books. I think I'm improving as a result of this.
I haven't colored outside the lines the last three times.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 01:49 pm
Laughing

You really should write a book, Bear; I think it'd be interesting.

British TV's so lame at the moment, I rarely watch anything.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2003 04:28 pm
The character's character, especially Mom who has now won three Emmys, are getting overdrawn and tiresome even though they're are still some funny bits and superior episodes. The one with the suitcase left on the staircase landing from last season was a riot.

"Curb Your Enthusiasm" from concept to execution is a bold new director for sit-coms. They are usually rather like Shaggy Dog stories where you aren't laughing and rolling on the floor until Larry gets his final comeuppance in the last few minutes of each show.

The HBO idea of leaving more room between seasons is inspired program direction. I can still see Larry bumbling through more ridiculous, dysfunctional messes, but then I could still take another season of "Sex and the City" and the cosmopolitan escapades of the Fab Four (as opposed to the Fab Five!) Ah well, same difference? Laughing
0 Replies