After all of the hullabaloo, who here still thinks soccer/futbol is an absolute bore?

izzythepush

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2022 02:57 am
@lmur,
The first half hour was dodgy, Senegal had some good chances and could easily have gone 2-0 up. We were lucky.

After we scored it became a lot easier.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2022 11:45 am
It is well known that the Emirate of Qatar is engaged in intensive lobbying in Europe and that Brussels, as the seat of the EU institutions and NATO, is a haven for lobbying. Now, however, the Belgian public prosecutor's office allegedly suspects that the host country of the current World Cup wanted to influence decisions in the heart of the European Union - in the European Parliament - in a criminal way. The public prosecutor's office on Friday confirmed corruption investigations against a "Gulf state", but the Belgian newspaper Le Soir and the Belgian magazine Knack say they have conclusive evidence from several sources that it is Qatar.

Police said they arrested four people and conducted 16 house searches in Brussels today in connection with the investigation. According to reports in the two Belgian media, all those arrested are of Italian origin. They are an Italian Social Democrat who was a member of the EU Parliament from 2004 to 2019, a senior trade union official with worldwide connections, the director of a non-governmental organisation and an assistant working in the European Parliament. All four had been active in human rights organisations, it said. They were to be questioned on Friday, after which they might be brought before a magistrate.

Knack: WK Qatar: 16 huiszoekingen in onderzoek naar corruptie in het Europees Parlement

Le Soir: Soupçons de corruption du Qatar : la vice-présidente du Parlement européen Eva Kaili interpellée
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2022 11:58 am
Hats off to Croatia, I thought Brazil would walk it.

Gobsmacked.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2022 12:03 pm
@izzythepush,
My daughter in law is Brazilian, fortunately we're all used to going out on penalties in the quarter finals.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2022 03:17 pm
So, Brazil had been criticized for dancing after scoring, with a Spanish commentator saying that Vinicius Junior should stop monkeying around, and the racism controversy that that garnered. Isn't the celebrating after scoring part and parcel of futbol? Has it been more subdued lately compared to past years?
izzythepush

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2022 03:21 pm
@InfraBlue,
It's football, and Roy Keane has always been an arsehole.
InfraBlue

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2022 03:31 pm
@izzythepush,
Also, in Portuguese it's futebol.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2022 03:34 pm
@InfraBlue,
In bigfoot country, it's fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuutbol.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2022 03:39 pm
@InfraBlue,
Football is the World's favourite spirt, nothing else comes close, nothing else deserves the name.
hingehead

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2022 06:55 am
@izzythepush,
The UK voted in a Tory government, aka they're the favourites. Doesn't mean that's a good thing.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2022 07:13 am
@hingehead,
That's an awful analogy.

And the Tories are far from everyone's favourite at the moment.
InfraBlue

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2022 02:43 pm
That second French goal looked an awful lot like an own goal.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2022 02:52 pm
Eight minutes of extra time??
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2022 04:44 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
That's an awful analogy.

My point was the incredibly obvious 'most popular does not mean right'.
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2022 11:52 am
Well, what a bore-fest that final was! A yawn from start to finish.
engineer

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2022 03:58 pm
@lmur,
Lol! I didn't have a dog in the fight and I was on the edge of my seat.
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2022 04:14 pm
@engineer,

me neither, but it was epic... glad i stuck with it.

if i ever become an actual fan, i'd have to brush up on the confusing (to me) aspects of the sport -- offsides, tackles and fouls...
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2022 04:19 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Lol! I didn't have a dog in the fight and I was on the edge of my seat.

You were? Shocked I was donating blood at the NY Blood Center and found it painful that all the damn TVs were set to the match. The dullest 30 minutes donating blood since having to sit through donating blood while Olympic curling played on the TV.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2022 04:26 pm
@Region Philbis,
Same here. Plus you got to see Messi go out on top. And Mbappe excel. He’s the future-great. I’m no soccer fan by any means but this was good watching (after the first half ended). Helps improve FIFA’s soiled image a bit.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2022 03:35 pm