How/why do threads/posts just disappear?

aidan

Mon 12 Jul, 2010 11:46 pm
I wanted to respond to someone who said that I flattered him too much and that it made him feel bad - and I can't find the thread- or even the post that I KNOW I wrote yesterday (the one where he thought I was being flattering) in 'my posts'.

Where has it gone?

I also was just going to reply to a thread and had written the reply but when I pressed submit - I got the message that the topic does not exist. It existed thirty seconds before - so where did it go?

I really only wanted to use the words/phrases 'flodder' and 'chicken skin' in the same post- for a laugh (it was funny to me).
But that's not what's important. What's important is that posts I know I made have disappeared. I'm just wondering if anyone knows why.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 1,398 • Replies: 11
Topic Closed
No top replies

Robert Gentel

Mon 12 Jul, 2010 11:52 pm
@aidan,
If you mean a Pepijn Sweep topic, he decided to start trying to flood the forum with nonsense a few days ago, openly admitting he was trying to be abusive of the "two-bit forum" and started flooding the forum for days with dozens of topics. When I mentioned how irritating it was he said I can remove them and taunts us to "ban me".

It took a lot more time than I have for this kind of thing right now (and, yes, I should have stopped it a lot earlier but had been busy elsewhere) but I cleaned up after him and his access to the forum is suspended so that he can find another community to "abuse". That was very uncool.

Everyone here is entitled to a say, and even an incoherent one but being intentionally abusive and flooding the forum is not going to be allowed for any reason, especially not to just try to see how much nonsense you can post while trying to abuse the community.
aidan

Tue 13 Jul, 2010 12:03 am
@Robert Gentel,
Oh, well I had noticed a change in his posting style - but I thought it sort of wavered back and forth- I thought maybe he had a drinking problem and was in need of a friend or whatever. I didn't see the post where he taunted, etc...- now I get it-that's probably why he said he felt bad when I was sincere toward him.
Thanks for explaining.
aidan

Tue 13 Jul, 2010 12:06 am
@aidan,
I just realized how suggestive those emoticons can be - I thought, 'drinking problem' because he always posted the drunk guy emoticon - I guess I took that a little too literally.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Tue 13 Jul, 2010 12:08 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:
Oh, well I had noticed a change in his posting style - but I thought it sort of wavered back and forth- I thought maybe he had a drinking problem and was in need of a friend or whatever.

That is what I thought too, initially. I hadn't seen the posts where he made it clear what he was doing (and I don't think the two are mutually exclusive). Either way, we shouldn't have let that kind of flooding go on regardless of the motives, it irritated most of the forum members for days and we have no obligation to let someone try to be as abusive as they can get away with. If it happens again please let us know (if someone had pointed out those posts to us earlier we could have stopped it earlier) and we'll be better about it this time around.
OmSigDAVID

Tue 13 Jul, 2010 12:46 am

Thank u, Robert.
I had not seen his posted intentions of malice.
At first, he seemed reasonable; he later seemed
to have lost his mind. I wondered if he 'd popped some pills.

He was getting on my nerves.
I had resolved to give him less attention; too annoying.

David
0 Replies

dlowan

Tue 13 Jul, 2010 12:47 am
@Robert Gentel,
Halluferkingluljah.

I had him/her on ignore, but this was testing even the Ignore function, I think!

Odd being...
laughoutlood

Tue 13 Jul, 2010 12:47 am
@Robert Gentel,
i'm saddened by pepys inevitable

but Robert how come when i post, it doesn't come straight up like it used to

my adoring fans have been pestering me about this

as ever , yours

ps. congrats on a superlative
roger

Tue 13 Jul, 2010 01:52 am
@dlowan,
Same here, and I was initially quite impressed.
0 Replies

roger

Tue 13 Jul, 2010 01:54 am
@laughoutlood,
My offhand guess is that you are set to "Filter Noise", rather than "All Topics" which would put your reply below the line of things that aren't new.
Robert Gentel

Tue 13 Jul, 2010 10:43 am
@roger,
Actually that is a different preference, there's one in the account preferences area for the unread sorting.
laughoutlood

Thu 15 Jul, 2010 04:40 am
@Robert Gentel,

Quote:
unread sorting

i love a turn of phrase and events
0 Replies