Money and all the recompenses

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 08:43 pm
I have low money, and am not an entirely stupid person. I do read, though --
But that was all rather easy. Now - there are volumes of posts re behavior about money on a2k.

I hope those who do get econ could help the rest of us, at least with some useful arguments or discussions.

It is tough to parse.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 2,953 • Replies: 24
No top replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 08:50 pm
@ossobuco,
Is there a particular issue you are wondering about?
ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 09:02 pm
@realjohnboy,
Yes, I suppose my main gripe is the blanket dismissing of those with to the with nots. Some kind of huge we are better thing. It still curdles my girdle.

I'd rather conversation happen, but see a lot of stuff in the way.
realjohnboy

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 09:48 pm
@ossobuco,
I suppose my main gripe, osso, is how so many people cite what they perceive to be "facts" that, arguably, can not be shown to be true. Here on A2K and in the wider world.
I hang out on the economics and politics threads here on A2K. They have pretty much degenerated into p*ssing matches. It is quite discouraging to carry on any kind of meaningful discussion.
But I am ever hopeful. Tomorrow I will try to get something going regarding income taxes. A player from the left and from the right have agreed to let me try to moderate a chat and a couple of other folks have emailed me with suggestions. It will probably fail, but watch for it if you are so inclined.
And, oh, many of yall have my number. Feel free to call.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 09:55 pm
@realjohnboy,
I like you a lot and I may call, which could be scary for both of us.

But, hey, we could just talk.

J
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 09:58 pm
@realjohnboy,
I'll keep an eye out for it.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 10:05 pm
@roger,
Oh, I like Roger too.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 10:11 pm
@ossobuco,
To explain, I am really dumb re economics, this isn't a ploy. My interest is filamental.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2010 10:42 pm
@ossobuco,
Oh, look, no one is yelling at me.
Please, talk.
firefly

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 10:00 am
@ossobuco,
I am not really that well versed in economics, but I have made some attempts to educate myself in that area, mainly so I can better manage my own financial assists in the current economic climate.

I listen to discussions on the economy on CNBC and CNN, I read the financial sections of two daily newspapers, I sometimes read financial magazines, and I follow news reports on economic indicators such as housing, jobs, etc. I'm certainly more knowledgeable than I used to be, and I have at least a general idea of what's happening. I know we might be in a double-dip recession and should brace for a possible period of high inflation, but I can't get involved in intricate debates about whether the government stimulus or bailout plans were really effective, or the pros and cons of raising taxes on various groups right now. Truthfully, it just doesn't interest me all that much.

And I've come to the conclusion that none of the leading economists, of any school of thought, really knew, or knows, a fool proof way of getting our economy back on track, and that current economic problems are globally interconnected. It's going to be a bumpy ride for some time to come, and that does affect what sort of personal investments I make. The stock market is always good long range, but, at this stage of my life, I also need more conservative, low risk, income-producing investments, and the options in terms of those is almost nil because interest rates are pathetically low. I have enough of a financial cushion to be able to comfortably manage my retirement (I think), barring an unforeseen catastrophe, but I'd be a lot happier if my returns could at least keep pace with inflation. One big plus in my favor is the fact I am relatively debt free.

I've always felt that women have suffered from not being better informed about economic factors, or even sufficiently informed enough about personal finances. Money is important. It's very important. And what we do with it, or don't do with it, can result in a lot of stress and anxiety. I think someone, like Suze Orman, has been doing a great job of appealing to women and helping them to smarten up about the choices they make regarding their money.

Not sure what sort of discussion you were hoping for, osso. I might have gone off on the wrong track.

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 10:08 am
@ossobuco,
I am not sure either, what your intent is, osso, but if you are looking for
advice in how to manage your money better, you have not given enough information to us.

I know of some seniors who are cash poor but have paid off real estate
and a reverse mortgage seemed to work for them.
Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 10:27 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Yes, I suppose my main gripe is the blanket dismissing of those with to the with nots. Some kind of huge we are better thing. It still curdles my girdle.

Osso- IMO people who are insecure need to find a way to make themselves feel better. One way, if the person has money, is to lord it over people who don't. I think that you are sensitive about this issue, but you certainly don't need to be. I say, "screw 'em"

People who are secure within themselves don't need to put on the "I'm much better than you" act. They accept another person for who they are, not what they have materially.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 06:40 pm
@firefly,
No, not wrong track.

I have been somewhat forcing myself to read more econ articles, for example, James Surowiecki in the New Yorker each week.

I have wished that I'd had some high school classes about financial matters.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 06:44 pm
@CalamityJane,
That's been suggested to me, and I'm reluctant to do that at this point... but I won't say never.

What am I looking for, maybe more threads about financial matters. I should follow the financial threads that do pop up from time to time. To start with, I should check into RealJohnBoy's Taxes thread!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 06:45 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Hi, Phoenix... that's true.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 06:48 pm
@ossobuco,
I should read a basic econ text. Any suggestions?
roger

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 06:58 pm
@ossobuco,
No. Personal finance, perhaps, but economics, no.

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 07:27 pm
@roger,
Yeah. Do not got to my tax thread, Osso. It is spinning away in its own orbit.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 07:31 pm
@ossobuco,
http://www.webofdebt.com
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 08:13 pm
@ossobuco,
What sort of financial matters are you seeking to understand better?