A TV! A TV! My Kingdom for a Television!

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 01:56 pm
@Irishk,
I figured as such. Dang on you Governor Patterson!! Mad
Irishk

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 02:01 pm
@tsarstepan,
Oh well, I bet the other 52 states will have to start paying it before long. Just a matter of time.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 02:49 pm
We purchased a 40" Samsung 1080p LCD tv about a year and a half ago for around $850 on Amazon. We have been greatly pleased with it in all respects, except for the sound - ended up purchasing a separate stereo/receiver system and routing the sound through the speakers, which is far superior.

We only get two channels in 1080p, but the difference is quite noticeable; sports especially are fantastic to watch on it.

Cycloptichorn
mckenzie

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 08:20 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Another happy Samsung customer here. We purchased a 46-inch Samsung 1080p, 60hz LCD TV a couple of years ago and last year bought the same model with a 37-inch screen for our daughter and son-in-law for Christmas.

We subscribe to Consumer Reports and researched there and other places before we made our purchase, and Samsung was consistently top-rated, still is.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 02:55 am
@tsarstepan,
So...how you going on deciding?

(I'll be looking doe a new teev when I have money again...if..)

BTW...I imagine LOTS of places offer 24 months "interest free" (there are fees) not just Amazon.

Almost all retailers here do (at least) that these days...with varying amounts of deposit.

Not that I am knocking Amazon...I have always found them very good to deal with.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 04:41 am
@dlowan,
This is a long term project. Okay... a relatively long term project. Money has to be accrued as well as actual credit.

So far, I'm leaning towards something Vizio like or Sony.

Plus, I'm waiting for our dear LightWizard to make a rare appearance and throw his expertise onto the collective fire of educated opinions.
chai2

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 05:43 am
@tsarstepan,
Here's something to get you started...

http://www.comparenow.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/green-large-piggy-bank.png
Irishk

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 10:42 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
Plus, I'm waiting for our dear LightWizard to make a rare appearance and throw his expertise onto the collective fire of educated opinions.

I like his posts, too. I remember reading one where he mentioned how impressive a plasma set was...kinda made me wish I'd done a little more research before deciding on an LCD. Oh well, there's always next time.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 10:44 am
@tsarstepan,
go poke him at FB and tell him you have a question
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 10:44 am
@tsarstepan,
You should also send a PM to Ragman - he knows a ton about this stuff!

Cycloptichorn
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2010 01:21 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
tv sucks
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 04:29 am
@chai2,
Thanks Chai! Spotted pigs are indeed are great motivator! Very Happy
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 04:29 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

go poke him at FB and tell him you have a question

Its the first poke I have ever given while using FB.
Ragman

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 10:33 am
@tsarstepan,
Tsar: I replied through IM here on A2K. I see no need to post here, but if others are interested, I'll post.
Ragman

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 10:40 am
@Irishk,
Current state-of-the-art Plasma HDTV:

There's a lot to be said about watching a movie on Panasonic plasma HDTV. Black levels on movies and also subtle shades and tones in some cases are still superior, (exception being Samsung 40 led-Lcd and some Sony Bravia LED-LCD). However, please understand that plasma can be a more costly techy endeavor over the long run for an HDTV display - model feature for model feature - as they draw a lot more power . In use over one yr, it might cost you in excess of $100 to $200. For those concerned environmentalists and those on limited budget, that is a big concern.
Irishk

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 10:40 am
@Ragman,
I'm interested. I love hearing opinions about electronic stuff!
Ragman

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 10:51 am
@Irishk,
I suggest you start by looking at these 40 inch HDTV displays in person. Check the following (or current similar) models for around $700 - $1200. the newer models are more likely to have the 120 HZ refresh rate (better for sports and following action in movies).

I'd advise against getting a TV through mail order. I'm a big fan of buying small electronics through mail-order. However, with large displays it's costly and iffy though I know some people that are highly satisfied. I would advise anyone interested to read Amazon consumer blog about getting HDTV and large TV display delivered. There's enough negatives to scare me off.

Samsung . UN40C6300, 40" HDTV - following specs: 1080p / 120Hz / LED-LCD HDTV
$1099

My purchase on 4/15/10 was a 46 in Samsung UN46C6300 for $1260. the smaller model is identical. the specs are good and is only 1.25 inches thick. I think mine draws less than 100 watts. as opposed to non LED HDTV that draw 300 wt or more.

Sony - BRAVIA KDL40EX700 40" / 1080p / 120Hz / LED-LCD HDTV
$1260

Panasonic - VIERA 42" Class / 1080p / 600Hz / Plasma HDTV
$670

As a professional photographer and former computer professional, my preferences come from first-hand experience. Also, FWIW, I have a sister who worked as studio engineer for MTV who added her input to my recent purchase. I trust her 15 yrs pro experience with high resolution displays even more than my own. She swears by Sony, Samsung and Panasonic (plasma).

That being said, I suggest you can narrow down your search to Samsung, Sony and Panasonic. House brands at Best Buy like Dynex are not worthwhile as their performance and longevity is quite suspect.

Yes, there are several other attractive options that have reasonable prices and decent looking displays (Sharp Aquos etc.), but they haven't the trouble-free quality of those first three. Statistics and real-life experiences don't lie.

You can purchase and get a cost-effective no interest-loan without using Amazon. The delivery options for a delivery of a large display item are not attractive to me. Fragility, Insurance and timing of delivery is much more costly and less attractive then let's say going to Best Buy and self-pickup or having them deliver, as an example. Also, freight charges for oversize packages reflects in the big hassle and overall cost. Your savings overall is minimized.

That's my quick take on it. If you see a model before you buy, feel free to bounce the details off of me. I'll give you my opinion-rating and tell you if there's a better or equivalent model and also let you know if the deal is good too.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 10:51 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:
For those concerned environmentalists and those on limited budget, that is a big concern.

We've never owned a plasma set, so that's good to know. Probably accounts for why LCDs outsell plasmas (except for those hardcore videophiles). When I win the lottery, I'd like to get one of those projector-type setups with a really big screen (and of course all the other bells & whistles LOL).
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 10:54 am
@Ragman,
Thanks, Ragman!!
Ragman

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2010 11:02 am
@Irishk,
No problem. I predict that those consumer level big projection sets will disappear in a few years. The projection displays for bars and businesses will stay as a niche, I think.

(P.S. You might want to reread my comments in case you didn't see my final rewrites. I often edit online for the added 5 minutes.)