DrewDad

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 10:00 am
@Night Ripper,
Value is not only dependent on something's scarcity, though.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 10:38 am
@Night Ripper,
Quote:
If there were infinite paper, there could be infinite copies of a novel. That's all that matters.

Ah.. but there isn't infinite paper.

Your argument is based on an "if" that doesn't exist. It is nothing more than a logical fallacy.
Night Ripper

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 11:25 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

Quote:
If there were infinite paper, there could be infinite copies of a novel. That's all that matters.

Ah.. but there isn't infinite paper.

Your argument is based on an "if" that doesn't exist. It is nothing more than a logical fallacy.

When I say "If X then Y" is true, it's irrelevant to say "not X" because that doesn't negate the truth of "If X then Y". That's basic logic.

So, if I say "If it rains tomorrow the ground will get wet." and it doesn't rain tomorrow. Are you really going to say that was false that "If it rains tomorrow the ground will get wet." I hope not.
parados

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 11:42 am
@Night Ripper,
Quote:

So, if I say "If it rains tomorrow the ground will get wet." and it doesn't rain tomorrow. Are you really going to say that was false that "If it rains tomorrow the ground will get wet." I hope not.

No, but I will say that the ground isn't wet.

So if you say "If there was infinite paper there will be infinite copies" and there is NOT infinite paper, are you still going to argue that there are infinite copies?
parados

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 11:55 am
@parados,
We get back to your snotty dismissal of the air argument Night

Quote:
Can you provide evidence that the universe is infinite? If not then it's speculation and nothing more.
Either my argument for air stands or your argument for "infinite paper" collapses. You can't have it both ways.
Night Ripper

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 01:06 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

We get back to your snotty dismissal of the air argument Night

Quote:
Can you provide evidence that the universe is infinite? If not then it's speculation and nothing more.
Either my argument for air stands or your argument for "infinite paper" collapses. You can't have it both ways.

The fact you continue to be insulting just tells me you lack confidence in your arguments.

Anyways, I've already rebutted your argument. Like I said before (pay attention this time), even if there are an infinite number of oxygen atoms the number is still practically finite because there is no way to access them. That's why gold would still be valuable even if there were an infinite number of unreachable gold atoms.

A bird in hand and all that...
parados

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 01:11 pm
@Night Ripper,
If humans could access an infinite universe they would have access to an infinite number of air atoms.

If humans had access to infinite paper they could make an infinite number of copies of a novel.

Why is one of the above valid but the other isn't?

The simple truth is that there isn't infinite paper anymore than humans have access to the infinite universe.

At least you seem to know what irony is -
Quote:

The fact you continue to be insulting just tells me you lack confidence in your arguments.
Night Ripper

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 01:19 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
Why is one of the above valid but the other isn't?

They are both valid. You are just confused about the implications. What I said implies that the limit of copies isn't a limit of art itself but rather the medium in which it is fixed. So, art is still unlimited even if the medium is limited.
parados

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 03:50 pm
@Night Ripper,
Quote:

They are both valid.

That is interesting.

Quote:
You are just confused about the implications. What I said implies that the limit of copies isn't a limit of art itself but rather the medium in which it is fixed. So, art is still unlimited even if the medium is limited.

So... you are arguing that art exists even if it doesn't exist? That seems a strange argument.
Night Ripper

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 04:01 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

Quote:

They are both valid.

That is interesting.

Quote:
You are just confused about the implications. What I said implies that the limit of copies isn't a limit of art itself but rather the medium in which it is fixed. So, art is still unlimited even if the medium is limited.

So... you are arguing that art exists even if it doesn't exist? That seems a strange argument.

No, I'm not. If you can't avoid making straw man arguments then I suggest you just stick to using the quote feature.
parados

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 06:47 pm
@Night Ripper,
Quote:
art is still unlimited even if the medium is limited.

I am confused how art can exist in an unlimited fashion if the medium is limited. In order for that to happen it would require that art exist without the medium. That would mean art doesn't require a medium to exist. Is that what you are saying?
Night Ripper

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 07:27 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

Quote:
art is still unlimited even if the medium is limited.

I am confused how art can exist in an unlimited fashion if the medium is limited. In order for that to happen it would require that art exist without the medium. That would mean art doesn't require a medium to exist. Is that what you are saying?

No, I'm saying that art doesn't add any limitation above and beyond the existing limitation on medium.
parados

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 08:07 pm
@Night Ripper,
So you are saying that art is limited by media?
Night Ripper

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 08:09 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

I'm saying that media is limited. The art that goes on it isn't. You just can't seem to distinguish the two.
parados

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 08:10 pm
@parados,
Do you agree that these are both true?

Art can't exist without the media which art is produced in.
The media in which art is produced is finite and is limited.
parados

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 08:12 pm
@Night Ripper,
Night Ripper wrote:

parados wrote:

I'm saying that media is limited. The art that goes on it isn't. You just can't seem to distinguish the two.

I can't distinguish because art can't exist without it's media.

It is impossible for you to show me one piece of art that exists outside it's media.
DrewDad

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 08:15 pm
@parados,
Damn, you're cruel.
parados

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 08:18 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Damn, you're cruel.

It's an art form. Wink

But you will notice, it is expressed in a media.
0 Replies

Night Ripper

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 08:29 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
It is impossible for you to show me one piece of art that exists outside it's media.

It is impossible for you to show me one piece of art that is limited where the media isn't.
parados

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 08:39 pm
@Night Ripper,
Sorry Night, the responsibility lies with you to show me one that does exist outside it's media. It's your claim, isn't it?
0 Replies