Wind Direction Using Anemometer

mptsang

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 03:37 pm
Hi,

I have a question regarding the use of anemometers to interpret the direction in which the wind is blowing. I understand that most anemometers record the direction in which the wind is coming from, but how can I translate that into where the wind is blowing to? For instance, if my anemometer records the wind came from the south, is it reasonable to assume that the wind continues to the north for a considerable distance given that the landscape doesn't change much (ie. not going from water to land, etc)? Any comments welcome.

Thanks,
Mike T.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,635 • Replies: 4
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 04:00 pm
@mptsang,
Tie a string of about 3.0 ft from the base of the anemometer. Then connect a large piece of card stock to the top of the anemometerNOW, take the entire assembly and hang it from a clothesline (See your mother, she can tell you what this is). Then, with a compass measure the direction that the anemometer and card is pointing and the wind will be comeing from a direction 180 degrees opposite.

Dont thank me, we are here to help.
farmerman

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 04:01 pm
@farmerman,
Another way is to take your anemometer to your nearest TV station and say to the staff meteorlogist"I will give you this swell anemometer if you can tell me what direction from which the wind is blowing now"
roger

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 05:43 pm
@farmerman,
I believe it was Niels Bohr who came up with a remarkably similar method of determining the height of a building with an altimeter. His first choice also involved a longish piece of string attached to the altimeter.
farmerman

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 05:44 pm
@roger,
shhh, upon the shoulders of giants.
0 Replies