Do You Know How Your Parents Vote or Voted

djjd62

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 04:19 pm
@ossobuco,
funny how the mind works, that's how i read it, i had to go back to see it wasn't spelled right
0 Replies

stevecook172001

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 04:23 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

i have no clue, i have friends who vote for parties, because their parents did (and in some cases their parents before them)

if you know, has it affected your political decisions one way or the other

My mam tended to vote according to specific policies and so didn't stick with any particular party. My dad was fairly a-political. What my mam, in particular, had (and still does) was a fiercely strong sense of fairness and equity that ran below politics and was more of a fundamental ethic.

This has definitely informed my personality and world view and I am grateful for it.
djjd62

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 04:26 pm
@stevecook172001,
my mother and my grandfather (mothers father) had a similar effect on me

0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 04:55 pm
We emigrated to America and landed at La Guardia the week JFK was inaugurated.
My dad hated Nixon with a passion and I imagine my folks voted Democratic party til they moved to Canada.in 1998
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 05:05 pm
I didn't dislike Nixon until the year he successfully ran for President.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 05:08 pm
@panzade,
who do you imagine they voted for up here, we have 2 sort of liberal parties, and actual liberal party (The Liberal Party of Canada) and a social democrat type party (the New Democratic Party or NDP)
Thomas

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 09:52 pm
My parents almost always vote for the Free Democratic Party, a small party that's somewhere between libertarian and liberal by American standards. (It's hard to map, because universal healthcare is so taken for granted that absolutely no politician can speak out against it and expect to get elected.)

Has it affected my own decision? Perhaps a little bit. Like my parents, I tend to distrust large organizations, including the two large parties in Germany, the Social Democrats and the Christian Democrats. So when I turned 18, I started out voting for the Greens most of the times (the other small party in Germany at the time). But during my late 20s, I turned more and more libertarian, and accordingly started to vote for the FDP as well.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 09:59 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

i have no clue, i have friends who vote for parties, because their parents did
(and in some cases their parents before them)

if you know, has it affected your political decisions one way or the other
My parents were Roosevelt Democrats.
That affected my political decision to use reasoned argument to dissuade them
from being Roosevelt Democrats and lured them over to conservative Republicanism. We voted for Barry Goldwater.

During the Republican primary election of Delegates to the Republican National Convention in 1964,
I drove my parents to the polls; the Goldwater delegate won by 2 votes.

David
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 07:54 am
@djjd62,
Quote:
who do you imagine they voted for up here,

They never said...
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 08:22 am
As Black Americans, my parents voted Democrat. The idea of voting Republican was seen as a selfish attempt to snuggle up to whites and disown and deny your own race. The same as now.
ebrown p

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 08:26 am
@eoe,
Quote:
As Black Americans, my parents voted Democrat. The idea of voting Republican was seen as a selfish attempt to snuggle up to whites and disown and deny your own race. The same as now.

Same for Hispanic-Americans (and now more than ever).
0 Replies