Is it time to change the length of terms for Congress?

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 09:55 am
I would like to see a constitution amendment to change the length of members of the House of Representatives from two years to four years. The terms for Senators would remain six years.

It is clear that Representatives spend far too much time trying to raise campaign money. They start raising funds for two years later immediately after they are elected. It prevents them from doing their real jobs and makes them more vunerable to corporate lobbying money.

I would also like to see the Supreme Court term be changed to increase the numbers of months it is in session. A vacation from July to October is too long to consider the number of cases proposed to the Court. The number of cases reviewed and/or accepted by the Court is far less than than in the past. I think a one month vacation would be more effective in the modern world.

Do you have any changes in the three branches of government you would like to see?

BBB

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,304 • Replies: 6
No top replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 12:00 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
I would also like to see the Supreme Court term be changed to increase the numbers of months it is in session. A vacation from July to October is too long to consider the number of cases proposed to the Court. The number of cases reviewed and/or accepted by the Court is far less than than in the past. I think a one month vacation would be more effective in the modern world.

The supreme court is actually quite efficient in issuing opinions on the cases that it accepts. I would imagine that it issues opinions on close to 100% of the cases in the same term that those cases are argued. I wish some trial court judges around here were as efficient.

The court also disposes of hundreds of certiorari petitions every term, without much trouble. Now, you may argue that the court needs to accept more petitions, but I'm not convinced that would necessarily be a good thing. The supreme court limits itself to cases where there are important federal questions or where there is a split in the circuits. Many of the cases in which the court turns down certiorari involve instances where the lower courts got it right -- there is really no reason for the supreme court to issue an opinion saying, in effect, "ditto!"
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 12:02 pm
We should get rid of the Filibuster in the Senate.
rabel22

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 12:09 pm
@ebrown p,
National term limits for all branches of government, two terms for congressman, and mandatory retirement at age 75 for all judges and congressman. I wont go into the graft that now goes by the description of political contributions which was legalized by the supreme court.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 12:36 pm
Is it time to change the length of terms for Congress?

No.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 12:39 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:
We should get rid of the Filibuster in the Senate.

Who is "we," and how do you propose that "we" should change that? The constitution grants to the two houses of Congress, without equivocation , the right to make their own procedural rules. Do you think you're going to get a constitutional amendment to change that very basic constitutional principle?

Let us know how that works out for ya, 'K?
rabel22

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2010 05:33 pm
@Setanta,
Are you satisified with Washington as constituted today. If you are are you a senator or repersentative.
0 Replies