What is the Truth of philosophy?

William

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 04:21 am
@paul s,
paul s wrote:

I have heard someone say that philosophy is the search for Truth.

I have also heard only one explanation of The Truth that I can accept. Before I tell what it is , could I hear everyone's opinion on this matter?

Let's have a great discussion.

Hello Paul and yes philosophy is a a search. For the truth? Paul, truth is not a place or is it a thing but a journey we will all go on. Once we stop looking so hard and be begin to see, we will all go in a forward direction. Then it won't be necessary to stop or back up to get our bearings straight.

William

William
paul s

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 08:25 am
@William,
Hi William,

Interesting viewpoints. I have one question..

Since a journey is something we do in life with the purpose of getting to a location, we can assume that the journey with respect to finding that particular thing might end one day. Thus a journey done with a realistic purpose by an able person is something which could end, and sometimes be begun again in the future.

However, truth is something that does stop existing when you arrive at your fate... the truth exists forever inside the destiny which one will see.

My question is, if truth you're referring to is a journey, what is the truth?

Thanks man
Paul
0 Replies

paul s

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 09:07 am
oops I meant to say "doesn't" stop existing
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 02:37 pm
@paul s,
Truth without process is meaningless, might well be what he meant, and I happen to agree...
0 Replies

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 03:17 pm
We Are Glad 4 Spain Drunk Drunk Drunk Drunk Arrow
Het Li thium SyndĂ´me Domimus "'66
BOoH Mr. Green Neutral
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 03:47 pm
@Pepijn Sweep,
ASK KennethAmy
0 Replies

NoOne phil

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 03:45 am
@paul s,
Those who search for truth cannot possibly be philosophers.
True means the lack of difference between two things. i.e. it is a comparitive.
Truth is simply that state--the state of two or more things being true.
In language, one does not look for truth, but constructs it with words--an identity established between perception, conception, and between conception and will. Every environmental acquistion system of a living organism crafts what it need for survival. The mind of man is evolving to be a craftsman, and because it does not even understand truth, it is self-evident it has not yet evolved to do its job very well.
True means no difference--what noting can one be looking for?
As an element, a first principle, one cannot predicate of truth. It is an element, it has none.
It is surprising, that on a forum for philosophy, no one seems to know the first principles of reason at all.
Languge and Experience. Internet Archive.

Philosophy is not the search for truth, but the love of truth--the same love any craftsman has for producing a functional item. The item the human mind is suppose to construct is human will that maintains and promotes the life of the body--just like every other environmental acquisition system of a living organism.

If man knew judgment, he could have solved for the name of the Beast 666 in Revelation instead of having to wait for someone to do it for them. It is not that hard. The text tells the reader 4 times at least what to do with the letters. It is a double locked metaphor for the human mind.
"To regulate our coming and going so as to turn the past into the future and to bring the future to pass."
It is a demonstration of the weakness of the human mind.
Fido

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 04:13 am
@NoOne phil,
Philsophy is the love of truth, and not the search for truth???

What lover does not search for the object of his desire???
NoOne phil

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 04:40 am
@Fido,
I cannot give you comprhension skills you do not have.

You cannot even comprehend that you just said you loved something you were ignorant of, i.e. not love of truth, but love of ignorance.
HexHammer

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 04:52 am
@paul s,
paul s wrote:

I have also heard only one explanation of The Truth that I can accept. Before I tell what it is , could I hear everyone's opinion on this matter?

Philosophy is what came before science, when we didn't know how to choose, research, test, and conclude.

We still use philosophy, but not on the same scale as in the past.
NoOne phil

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 05:09 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer wrote:

paul s wrote:

Philosophy is what came before science, when we didn't know how to choose, research, test, and conclude.

It depends on who you consider established the standard for what the word means. There was one who did that, Plato. According to Plato, a philosopher, a real one, had a craft called dialectic. Dialectic is the use of language for the purpose of psycho-therapy. He realized that the mind does its job through the artifice of langauge, and therefore, by teaching language skills, one could cure the mind--providing it was free from physical defects.
Since no one seemed to have Plato's intellect, the meaning of the word changed to mean sophistry.
The mind can only do its job when it established an identity (truth) between language-as a symbolic form of manipulation-and reality. Therefore, Philosophy became the love of truth--demonstrated by one's self-education to be true to the purpose and function of the mind, to maintain and promote the life of the body.
Virtue is simply the perfection of one's craft, or doing one's own work. The work of the mind is to maintain and promote the life of the body, it does this by constructing human will--the ability to manipulate reality to the benifit of man.

Plato was thousands of years ahead of his time. Man has yet to catch up to him.

Like a true Philosopher, Plato realized that individual minds had differing abilities, so, he provided means of behavioral modification throug broth branches the mind uses, rationality and emotion. Emotion is modified through mythology, mythology is properly constructed through principles of logic in order to effect the purpose of mind, behavior that maintains and promotes human life.
Those not up to Plato's abilities mistook his myths as his beliefs--such were the levels of their own abilities.

People who have no understanding believe that there is a conflict between emotion and reason. Plato realized the truth of the matter, emotion is the material difference over which the form of reason is to be applied. Without emotion we are nothing, without reason we are nothing. Just like a table, without the material of the table, there is no table. Without the form of a table, there is no table.
Fido

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 05:28 am
@NoOne phil,
NoOne phil wrote:

I cannot give you comprhension skills you do not have.

You cannot even comprehend that you just said you loved something you were ignorant of, i.e. not love of truth, but love of ignorance.

Spare me... You act as though gifted with special knowledge... Share it... Because truth, though an infinite moral form, is essential to knowledge, and the search for knowledge is essential to philosophy... It is a rare miner who knows the value of the ore he mines before he mines it... I make no such claim about truth or being as to their value, or their meaning; only that they have always been philosophy...
Fido

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 05:32 am
@HexHammer,
HexHammer wrote:

paul s wrote:

Philosophy is science... Each is the rational application of method to discover truth... Even I, as the least methodical of people am not free of method...
0 Replies

NoOne phil

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 05:33 am
@Fido,
Plato recommended the study of the exact sciences. He did so in order that one might learn the elements of language. I suggest a long study and practice of Euclidean Geometry. I myself have spent years with it and have made discoveries myself. You work with the two elements of every language, boundary and the material in a boundary to construct things. These are the three primitive naming catagories possible for any logic.

I have learned some very needed ideas through it. And, have accomplished things never before done. It is a mental discipline.
Fido

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 05:47 am
@NoOne phil,
NoOne phil wrote:

Plato recommended the study of the exact sciences. He did so in order that one might learn the elements of language. I suggest a long study and practice of Euclidean Geometry. I myself have spent years with it and have made discoveries myself. You work with the two elements of every language, boundary and the material in a boundary to construct things. These are the three primitive naming catagories possible for any logic.

I have learned some very needed ideas through it. And, have accomplished things never before done. It is a mental discipline.

To apply logic to life we must have Res, that is: things, objects... Most of our lives are made up of, and lived in infintie moral forms, and all forms have that spiritual quality which gave many early mathematicians the impression their math was the reality and reality was the unreality....Emotions, life, God, mind, and even number, are all infinite moral forms which are simple spiritual meanings without specific being... Math and reason work fine in the physical world of physical reality... That is not the world we live in, but in the world of forms do we live, and few of those forms have being, true being attached to them, and most point to a spiritual quality only, that like love, is a meaning without being...

You must know from Plato how badly he struggled with definitions of moral forms that could be illustrated with infinite examples, and yet never defined because in-fin-ites are without de-fin-ition... Kant said we can only have finite knowledge, and I agree... We can say we know of physical reality, and can reason on the same; but that same reason has no application to moral reality... Sorry... You must know your limits... You have reached the end of your chain...
NoOne phil

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 05:51 am
@Fido,
How much like a 5 year old, that when you lay something at their feet, they simply close their eyes and insist it is not there.

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=johnclark8659&sort=-publicdate

Stand there with your eyes close, or open them, your choice.

See if you can even count the number of things I have done that have in the past been claimed impossible to do. See if you even recognize them.
Fido

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 05:55 am
@NoOne phil,
NoOne phil wrote:

How much like a 5 year old, that when you lay something at their feet, they simply close their eyes and insist it is not there.

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=johnclark8659&sort=-publicdate

Stand there with your eyes close, or open them, your choice.

See if you can even count the number of things I have done that have in the past been claimed impossible to do. See if you even recognize them.

So what.. I have often done the impossible, and every day humanity does the impossible... Impossible is simply a degree of difficulty, and today's impossible is tomorrow's done...
NoOne phil

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 06:01 am
@Fido,
Are you trying to impress me that you are a master of temper tantrums? LMAO
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 06:30 am
@NoOne phil,
The way you present yourself...you are less the pop...you are an anecdote, a bad joke, and a pure display of bad taste...You are not just dumb and insignificant, you are a pretentious idiot full of meaningless words who barely can express what he think he knows...
Its a petty that people like Fido and others around are naive enough to spare some of their time replying to your nonsensical babbling...
You need some serious treatment to that head of yours...make an appointment and get yourself a psychiatrist quickly damn fool.
NoOne phil

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2010 06:58 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
I see you are still trying to perfect that club swing of yours. Keep at it.