Are you pro or con Arizona's new Law on Immigration?

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 10:05 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Quote:
Any police officer can ask anyone he suspects of being an illegal (aka anyone Hispanic) and if they don't have documentation on them he can detain them as a criminal, whether they are or are not illegal. So even legal residents who are suspected of being illegal immigrants are subject to this....is that a good use?

My understanding is the police will not pick out a person at random. If the police stop someone who is driving improperly, or committing some other infraction, and the police believes that the person is not a here legally, the police can ask for documentation.

I have no problem with legal immigrants. My family came over from Europe, some generations ago. The operative word here is ILLEGAL. IMO, an illegal immigrant is a criminal, and needs to be treated as such.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 10:08 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
The Mexicans have no right to be there; sneaky invaders.

Of course the Mexicans have the right to be here............just as the French, the Germans and the Chinese, etc. have the right, IF they are here legally.

Oh, and I am definitely FOR the law. The federal government has not done its job vis a vis illegal immigrants. The state needs to take the bull by the horns!
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 12:07 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix32890 wrote:

Quote:
The Mexicans have no right to be there; sneaky invaders.

Of course the Mexicans have the right to be here............just as the French, the Germans and the Chinese, etc. have the right, IF they are here legally.

Oh, and I am definitely FOR the law. The federal government has not done its job vis a vis illegal immigrants.
The state needs to take the bull by the horns!
Phoenix, we r discussing illegal aliens. I agree with u about legal Mexicans.
For the 5 years that I lived in Phoenix, we had a family
of Mexicans living next door, with whom we had friendly relations.
Duing that time, it NEVER occurred to me to have them thrown out
of America, nor woud I consider doing so now.
THAY were honorable.

The husband was a captain in the US National Guard.
He drove the kids in the naborhood to a fort, where we worked out
with submachineguns, full belt-fed machineguns, rifles, pistols n revolvers on the gunnery range.
It was a lot of fun. Good guy.

David
ehBeth

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 12:25 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Mexican nationals can be in the U.S. National Guard? that's quite open-minded of the U.S.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 12:38 pm
@ehBeth,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

ehBeth wrote:

Mexican nationals can be in the U.S. National Guard? that's quite open-minded of the U.S.
I remember about 50 years ago, a German citizen being drafted into the US Army.

David
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 11 Jul, 2010 08:43 pm
Quote:
BOSTON — In a private meeting with White House officials this weekend, Democratic governors voiced deep anxiety about the Obama administration’s suit against Arizona’s new immigration law, worrying that it could cost a vulnerable Democratic Party in the fall elections.

While the weak economy dominated the official agenda at the summer meeting here of the National Governors Association, concern over immigration policy pervaded the closed-door session between Democratic governors and White House officials and simmered throughout the three-day event.

At the Democrats’ meeting on Saturday, some governors bemoaned the timing of the Justice Department lawsuit, according to two governors who spoke anonymously because the discussion was private.

“Universally the governors are saying, ‘We’ve got to talk about jobs,’ ” Gov. Phil Bredesen of Tennessee, a Democrat, said in an interview. “And all of a sudden we have immigration going on.”

He added, “It is such a toxic subject, such an important time for Democrats.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/12/us/politics/12governors.html?hp

In other words Mr President, WTF were you thinking? Were you thinking? Taking a stance against the majority when he did not need to take a stance requires an explaination.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 10:48 am
Many Democrats and even Republicans continue to say "We have a broken immigration system."

The only thing wrong with our immigration system is the Federal Govt unwillingness to enforce the current laws.

The Feds should be thanking AZ for assisting the Feds in enforcing the laws the Feds created. There is nothing in the AZ law that extends beyond current federal law.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 11:43 am
@ossobuco,
No, they were NOT "here" first.

The Spanish stole it from the Aztecs.
ebrown p

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 11:45 am
@woiyo,
Quote:
No, they were NOT "here" first.

The Spanish stole it from the Aztecs.

Whatever else they say about you, Woiyo, you have a great sense of humor.

0 Replies