Free Speech Zone

pistoff

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2003 06:29 pm
Quote:
Members of the Secret Service or local law enforcement officers under orders of the Secret Service demand protesters move into a free speech area. Peter Buckley, of Oregon, a former Democratic candidate for Congress, attended a presidential appearance. After being herded into a fenced-in free speech area, he wrote in an opinion piece for the Oregonian: "We were not allowed anywhere near any kind of position where the president, or the media which follows him, would see or hear us. This is not America. This in not the land of the free and the home of the brave. This is some other country. I'm a patriotic American. I want the country I was raised to believe in, a country strong enough for political discourse and debate, with leaders courageous and decent enough to have the willingness to listen to all citizens, not just those who parrot their own views. ... The effort being made to hide political opposition in this country is more than cowardly, it's un-American.

http://www.commondreams.org/views03/1129-03.htm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 689 • Replies: 6
No top replies

MichaelAllen

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2003 08:52 pm
This isn't new. We're just more adept to talk about it, expose it, complain...etc. We used to follow leaders blindly. Now we have been screwed over so many times, we question their every move. But, the undercurrent is always more effective than the blatant actions of a deranged man who thinks we appointed him king.

I've been noticing all of the anti-Bush talk and I really must say something at this point. I remember years ago, when Clinton was elected president for the first time, the media was quick to say, "Here is President Clinton, the most powerful man in the world." I remember thinking how stupid a notion that was. The president of the U.S. is not the most powerful man in the world, he is the head representative of the most powerful nation in the world. When we elected Bush, we laughed. I couldn't believe how lowly we thought of "the most powerful man in the world." Of course, because it is a Republican president and a liberal media, we would never hear Bush referred to as "the most powerful man in the world." And, yet he scares us.

Bush is not a dangerous man who rapes women and gets away with it or sends a nation to war despite their opposition to it. Bush can be stopped, has been stopped and doesn't always get his way. If he is the most powerful man in the world, it is because we allow it to be. Our checks and balances are all lopsided. Our sense of pride and integrity have wilted under the heat of conflict and fear of struggle. Water flows in the path of least resistence. Humans are supposed to be made of better stuff, a greater metal.

The president being the most powerful man in the world was true when they respected the people they represented and worked for the greater benefit of all of us. When we grew up, they lost their prestige. Now we are wrapped up in so much ****, we have yet to scratch the surface on what's really going on in this world and how much we really are involved. What have we been allowing our leaders to do? Why don't we know more? Are we being protected from truth that will cause us a massive heart attack or are we being shielded from truth that will cause us to put an end to it ourselves? Do you know you have the right to check just about any legal document? And the ones you can't check for security reasons even have supplements you are allowed to read. They hint of what might have been discussed behind closed doors even though they will not divulge the conversation or the final decision. Go to a court house and ask about any case, the legal secretary will be happy to hand over the files. Visit the U.S. House of Representatives and ask what issues are going to be on the floor today or find microfiche on topics they've discussed in the past. The problem I'm seeing is that we don't know how much we are allowed to know. Some people just don't care enough until it's too late. Some people are afraid to find out.

Being bullied is the oldest game of all and we thought it couldn't happen to us. We are not a fascist nation. We got rid of the British when they were walking right up into our houses and eating our food, sleeping in our beds...etc. We placed the right to bare arms right up near the top just because of that kind of crap. And now we forgot all that and want to pass gun control legislation all over again. It is only a matter of time before we feel duped again, but we're too stupid to realize it. We lack effective foresight. We have a loss of memory. And our couches are much more comfortable than a hard chair at a town meeting or the back row of benches in the House Chamber.

Basically, in as blunt of words as I can say, put the "Bitches" in check or be one.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2003 09:48 pm
Is it really that easy?
All we have to do is go to meetings of various Govt. branches and voice our objections? That might work in my small town but I doubt if it will anywhere else. But go ahead and educate us on how we can trun around Patriot Act 2. Tell us how we can make our representatives listen to our concerns over the special interests that give them millions of dollars.

Thanks.
0 Replies

MichaelAllen

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 01:17 am
When it becomes really important to you, you'll know what to do. In fact, you are already doing something. The most effective thing anyone can do right now is circulate the facts. Circulate opinions. No one in this country wants to be governed under some absolute rule. It's just the basic fact that most people aren't aware of anything until it's too late. In fact, the so-called Domestic Security Enhancement Act of 2003 is being denied by ranking officials who should know all about it. That's why I say get down to the House of Representatives and find out what's going on. You don't have to go to Washington. I'm not talking about actually sitting on the benches in the back of the House Chamber. http://www.house.gov/Welcome.html
Know when they are going to be introducing the draft for discussion. Know when they are going to be voting on the initiative. Get in touch with everyone involved, emails are right on the site. How interested are you?

Write articles and find the right places to get them published. The people will listen. They just need to know.

Write a book and get it published. Hand a copy to everyone involved in the decision making process. I did it on a smaller scale. I attacked the judicial system in my city. But, if I were to distribute a copy to every representative in the U.S. House of Representatives, it would cost $4280. I could ask for one dollar from everyone I ran into in a week to come up with that. Ashcroft wouldn't know what hit him.

But, the real question is how pistoff are you? What are you willing to do? Buy a gun and sit on your front porch with a beer and a mobile television. Hell, I already said I didn't know all the answers. But, don't try convincing me of that.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 01:48 am
Thanks
How do you know that I don't own a gun?

Yeah, I have done a few of the things that you mentioned. I feel that there may be few million people that aren't just going to allow this country to be taken over by the Capitalist Predators but the acquistionioners seem to be buying up the water rights around the planet. Our next little war to fight? Oil is fairly important but on my list of priorities, water is one notch higher.
0 Replies

MichaelAllen

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 02:39 am
Re: Thanks
pistoff wrote:
How do you know that I don't own a gun?

If you do, I should have known. Well, do you have the beer?
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Sun 30 Nov, 2003 04:17 am
I was a sharpshooter in the Army.
Now I don't own any firearms. I drink beer ever once in awhile.

I don't think there will be an armed revolution in the USA but I could be wrong.

Hopefully, elections will still mean something but it's looking like they may not. We shall see in 2004.
0 Replies